Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

education and part time courses help!

education and part time courses help!

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default education and part time courses help!

I have done several searches on here so please humour me as I know this has been discussed before but I cant find the threads

I read a post ages ago that talked about part time courses and equating them to full time courses

Can someone clarify is a full time course as far as canadian immigration concerned one where classroom attendance is 15 hours a week or more?

if you do a course where say you go to college for one day a week eg 6 hours and as part of the course you do practical work in the workplace for 6 hours a week how would that be counted?
would it be 12 hours week or 6?

I have done several part time courses over several years and need to add up the hours etc and average them out to see how much full time education they equate to if you know what I mean!

any advice on how others have done this much appreciated
good luck all
thankyou
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 1:24 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: education and part time courses help!

You don't convert part time education the same way as with full time equivalent for work experience.

If you have completed any educational program (simple courses won't count) resulting in degree, diploma or certificate on the part time basis then you claim number of years required to complete particular program if it would have been taken on standard, full time basis.

Before you claim anything please make sure that programs you completed meet the definition of educational credential:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2002-227/sec73.html

Industry certificates for example are not educational certificates.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

much appreciated andrew thanks

we are fortunate in that we are not applying for any jobs in Canada and only have to verify a total of one years post school education and it does not have to be to degree level or anything trade certificates industry certificates etc are fine

do you know anything about how many hours are classed as full time education in canada?
one of my courses was 20 hours a week college attendance normally this course is classed as full time for this qualification but as a mature student I only needed to attend college for 20 hours a week

eg I have exactly the same qualification as someone who attended the course full time

my certiticate states the qaulification and level but makes no mention of full time part time or otherwise

I have printed info from the awarding body's website that gives the course title, course content, name of the course and name of the qualification and the duration of the course which states one years full time study is required to gain this qualification
I did the course about 15 years ago.

will this be sufficiint proof for CIC to prove the duration of the course? I hve loads of other courses and certificates to go along with this one but as I only need to proove a total of one years education this one might be enough on its own?

many thanks for your advice
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:16 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

The info you printed attached to the certificate should suffice as proof of 1 year education.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

a million thanks Andrew very much appreciated