Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

ECopr time - timelines and current permits

ECopr time - timelines and current permits

Old Nov 17th 2021, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default ECopr time - timelines and current permits

First of` all - as hopefully this may be one of the last topics I create on here (I'll likely still hang round on other threads etc) - A big thank you to everyone who has helped with my journey - I truly mean this, I likely would never have made it to Canada without you.

We finally got asked for our details to create Ecopr portal access this morning, they went to the dependant not the main applicant (potentially as I raised a webform last week stating she had also moved with me, as was wondering whether it had been entered when I rang them - I kept saying "we" but couldn't remember him confirming the address change for both of us).

Now the emotions have calmed down and the 7am celebratory beer has worn off - down to business! We've submitted our details and are now awaiting portal login - then I believe its photos, confirm address etc.

I am an international student - just yesterday I registered for my classes for next semester, I'm obviously going to finish this semester - and will continue studying (once my PR status is here and I can get access to domestic rate tuition) - I'd maybe drop down to 6/7 credits a semester than the 10-15 I'm currently on and achieve a better home/work/study life balance.

Couple of questions

Firstly when can I up my working hours - my semester is already winding down: I've got an exam on writing along with 2 lectures and a debate for one course -none of this really requires study as its about writing ability. 2nd course has no end exam, major project went in last week, I've actually got enough marks to pass the course now, but have a video presentation to do, and some course feedback. Then I've got one course which needs 10 hours or a week a so on it, but only has 2 weeks worth of lectures left (last lecture is 29th November) and a final exam - Do I need to wait until I've got my new SIN? PR card in hand? Ecopr on the portal? PR photos submitted? now?

Secondly - not knowing timelines at the moment for PR card arrival, or Ecopr being granted on the portal (some seem to be done in days, some are waiting months) - Do I need to potentially continue my studies next Semester? This one is a bit of an unknown to me - working part time I'm earning maybe $350 (average) - $600 a week (very rare) - tuition fees are $8000 for the semester.
It'd be cheaper for me to not work, only do 1 course and drop down to part time status for the next semester or even 2 if required? going up to 2 courses or so once PR comes through. Or is the fact that we've been told our application is approved enough for me to remain in the country (even on visitor status) regardless of whether I'm studying or not??

Old Nov 17th 2021, 9:04 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ECopr time - timelines and current permits

Congrats!

Regarding work - once your have been granted PR status (i.e. your COPR has been validated, etc, but not before )

PR card arrival isn't relevant - it's the COPR being validated (whether by e-validation or in person).. that is when you become a Permanent Resident. The PR card is confirmation of that only, used for travel etc.,

Old Nov 19th 2021, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ECopr time - timelines and current permits

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Congrats!

Regarding work - once your have been granted PR status (i.e. your COPR has been validated, etc, but not before )

PR card arrival isn't relevant - it's the COPR being validated (whether by e-validation or in person).. that is when you become a Permanent Resident. The PR card is confirmation of that only, used for travel etc.,
Thanks - assumed it would be once it was done online but wasn't sure - we still haven't received portal log in, seems to be pot luck as some people are getting login with hours, others wait 2 weeks. Same with getting Ecopr validated - some people are waiting 2 days, others 2 months.

Hopefully mine comes through soonish - I am assuming you can't take the approval letter to the border (with all other documents) and flagpole (I see IEC participants are regularly flagpoling at the moment?) - I could be at peace arch in 20 minutes!

Last edited by Stumpylegs; Nov 19th 2021 at 4:32 pm.