British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   ECA help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/eca-help-925174/)

LasB May 22nd 2019 10:01 pm

ECA help

Good evening all,

I am a graduate of BSC Computer Science and I am looking for advice as I have just begun my family application for the Express Entry & Provincial Nominee to Canada process.
My wife has a law degree & during the IQAS ECA application, we were adviced to evaluate the highest qualifications. In Nigeria here after your five (5) years LLB in Law you must compulsorily attend the Nigerian Law School for another one (1) year if you intend to practice. My wife did both but we are not sure which of the two or both certificate is to be sent for assessment under IQAS.

Kindly advice urgently so I don't end up spending double on assessing both certificates..

Please I need your urgent response

Thank you all as I wait..

Siouxie May 22nd 2019 10:49 pm

Re: ECA help

Originally Posted by LasB (Post 12687577)
Good evening all,

I am a graduate of BSC Computer Science and I am looking for advice as I have just begun my family application for the Express Entry & Provincial Nominee to Canada process.
My wife has a law degree & during the IQAS ECA application, we were adviced to evaluate the highest qualifications. In Nigeria here after your five (5) years LLB in Law you must compulsorily attend the Nigerian Law School for another one (1) year if you intend to practice. My wife did both but we are not sure which of the two or both certificate is to be sent for assessment under IQAS.

Kindly advice urgently so I don't end up spending double on assessing both certificates..

Please I need your urgent response

Thank you all as I wait..

I've moved your post to a thread of your own so that you receive answers to your questions rather than somebody else's.

LasB May 23rd 2019 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12687597)
I've moved your post to a thread of your own so that you receive answers to your questions rather than somebody else's.

Oh thanks, but how do I locate the thread as I'm relatively new to this..
thank you

christmasoompa May 23rd 2019 6:12 am

Originally Posted by LasB (Post 12687686)
Oh thanks, but how do I locate the thread as I'm relatively new to this..
thank you

As you’ve posted in the thread, you’ve obviously found it!

But your fee to IQAS is for all the credentials, you don’t pay separately for each. Just be aware that it will take ‘at least’ an extra 4 weeks for more than one credential to be assessed, and IQAS already have the longest processing time of any ECA provider - so you’re looking at at least 28 weeks to get it back.

I would recommend you look at sending your educational credentials to another ECA agency that would be much quicker, unless you have a particular reason for wanting to send them to IQAS. You never know when that points score will go up, so best to apply as soon as you can!

HTH.

LasB Jun 11th 2019 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12687690)

As you’ve posted in the thread, you’ve obviously found it!

But your fee to IQAS is for all the credentials, you don’t pay separately for each. Just be aware that it will take ‘at least’ an extra 4 weeks for more than one credential to be assessed, and IQAS already have the longest processing time of any ECA provider - so you’re looking at at least 28 weeks to get it back.

I would recommend you look at sending your educational credentials to another ECA agency that would be much quicker, unless you have a particular reason for wanting to send them to IQAS. You never know when that points score will go up, so best to apply as soon as you can!

HTH.

Thank you for your response, as it is the transcript has already been sent to IQAS and should arrive this Friday according to the courier tracking system. Eventually I hope that the process doesn't take longer than usual especially as I'm evaluating only one credential. Focusing on the IELTS exam for now

Thank you once again

christmasoompa Jun 12th 2019 6:24 am

Originally Posted by LasB (Post 12696685)
Thank you for your response, as it is the transcript has already been sent to IQAS and should arrive this Friday according to the courier tracking system. Eventually I hope that the process doesn't take longer than usual especially as I'm evaluating only one credential. Focusing on the IELTS exam for now

Thank you once again

Good luck. Shame you didn't send it to another agency like WES, which would have saved you 5 months of waiting time!

G0ldie Jun 12th 2019 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12696848)
Good luck. Shame you didn't send it to another agency like WES, which would have saved you 5 months of waiting time!

IQAS is not bad. They are slow compared to the other providers but were pretty quick for me last year when I used them to assess the other half's degree.

christmasoompa Jun 12th 2019 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by G0ldie (Post 12696997)
IQAS is not bad. They are slow compared to the other providers but were pretty quick for me last year when I used them to assess the other half's degree.

That's good, considering their quoted processing time is ridiculous. Let's hope it's quicker for the OP too then.

G0ldie Jun 12th 2019 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12697016)
That's good, considering their quoted processing time is ridiculous. Let's hope it's quicker for the OP too then.

I rang them once after a few months but vaguely remember when to check up on the application progress. They were running around a month and a half late then so they would only start processing your order if you sent your degree on 1st Jan by the middle of Feb.

The OP just needs to make sure that all the paperwork has been sent by the institution (by courier preferably) so there is no delay or post the documents via courier themselves if possible.

christmasoompa Jun 12th 2019 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by G0ldie (Post 12697022)
I rang them once after a few months but vaguely remember when to check up on the application progress.

How long did it take in total then? The fact that you had to ring them 'after a few months' (when other providers are a matter of weeks) is what I mean by ridiculous! They've always had the longest processing times by a considerable amount and I can't fathom why.

G0ldie Jun 12th 2019 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12697027)
How long did it take in total then? The fact that you had to ring them 'after a few months' (when other providers are a matter of weeks) is what I mean by ridiculous! They've always had the longest processing times by a considerable amount and I can't fathom why.

I think total was 3 months from start to finish. Once the application got started it didn't really take too long.

When I was going through the WES application for the other half they mentioned they cannot provide an ECA after 8 months so maybe I've had a bad experience with them and lost 5 points on my CRS scrore as a result. I did manage to wrangle a full refund out of them but was not happy with the time wasted. I had the same inclining of a 6 week timeline but it only a guideline I suppose.

We've had our conversations in the past about WES but that's a different story and don't want to take over the thread on a rant! :)

Siouxie Jun 12th 2019 3:42 pm

It looks like IQAS has quite a backlog -

Application volume and processing times for Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for Immigration purposes as of March 15, 2019.
Number of ECA applications with “In line for processing” status Approximate processing time of applications with “In line for processing” status
Approximately 1,750 20 weeks

There are other options other than WES or IQAS http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...num=681&top=29

https://learn.utoronto.ca/comparative-education-service
Educational Credential Assessment Report
Immigration: 12 weeks
https://www.bcit.ca/ices/eca/
The estimated processing time for an ECA is approximately fourteen weeks from the date on which all required documents are received in our office.
https://www.icascanada.ca/new/immigr...to-canada.aspx
The estimated processing time for the Canadian Immigration Assessment Package is approximately 25 weeks from the date on which all required documents are received in our office.

LasB Jun 13th 2019 6:05 pm

I really appreciate everyone who took time to respond to my quote.
It's indeed a shame that I didn't send the law degree to other bodies for evaluation, but I'm hopeful it shouldn't take longer than necessary. Another problem I'm having is making payment for ICES evaluation. It keeps declining so I sent them an email regarding my inability to make payment & was replied that my card has to be strictly credit 💳. I wanna know if it matters if I pay through someone else's credit or does anybody kNow how I can make the payment as fast as possible because my transcript arrived ICES already on Tues 11th June.