British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Earthquake engineering is not found in NOCs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/earthquake-engineering-not-found-nocs-904499/)

soheib_b Oct 12th 2017 10:08 pm

Earthquake engineering is not found in NOCs

Hello everyone,

Earthquake engineering is an interdisciplinary branch of civil engineering and it is found in NOC 2131 and earthquake engineering as branch of civil engineering it must be found in the "Illustrative example(s)" but in reality it is not found there too.
Will this be a problem for me when I apply for Entry Express? knowing that I have a master's degree in earthquake engineering and a bachelor's degree in Civil engineering (General)?

withabix Oct 12th 2017 11:01 pm

Re: Earthquake engineering is not found in NOCs

2113 includes Seismologist.

Others could be 2144, 2131, 2113...

Depends what you actually DO for a job - geotech...strucutral...civil....something else.

Most of the work that Engineers do for our Company in terms of Seismic is deflection analysis [structural], design of restraints [mechanical/pipework/equipment], post-disaster design of entire structures [structural/civil/geotechnical], ground improvement to survive liquefaction [geotechnical], inspection of seismic installations [structural, mechanical, electrical] etc...

scilly Oct 13th 2017 3:40 am

I understand that the NOC codes refer to the work that you actually do, not to to the title of the position

Engineer_abroad Oct 13th 2017 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by withabix (Post 12359849)
2113 includes Seismologist.

Others could be 2144, 2131, 2113...

Depends what you actually DO for a job - geotech...strucutral...civil....something else.

Most of the work that Engineers do for our Company in terms of Seismic is deflection analysis [structural], design of restraints [mechanical/pipework/equipment], post-disaster design of entire structures [structural/civil/geotechnical], ground improvement to survive liquefaction [geotechnical], inspection of seismic installations [structural, mechanical, electrical] etc...

as he said. As a geotechnical engineer I focus more on liquefaction and the use of pseudo-static and dynamic numerical modeling for slope stability for engineered soil and rock structures.

Also as scilly says it is based on roles and responsibilities not the title. For instance geotechnical engineer is an illustrate example of geological engineer. The roles and responsibilities for this title are actually more what we in the UK would call an engineering geologist. So I applied for express entry (and my ICT) using NOC code for civil engineer