Wikiposts

Early Xmas prezzie (COPR/Landing)

Old Dec 19th 2007, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

kosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Early Xmas prezzie (COPR/Landing)

An early Christmas prezzie for me. I have my appointment this Friday to go and collect my COPR document, officially land and become a permanent resident.

I was actually told about my COPR status a few months ago, but various delays and appointment cancellations pushed back my big day. I am due to collect COPR land land at my local CIC office.

I consider myself very fortunate, particularly the time line. I applied in March, was given AIP and an open work permit in August, a month later I received a letter say the application was complete and they were ready to issue my COPR.

The immigration officer said to bring my passport, two photos, a letter from my or my sponsors employer (confirming employment) and the RPRF.

Do I also need to return the open work permit?

Anyway, will update this thread later Friday and let you know how the big day was.

Thanks.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:54 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early Xmas prezzie (COPR/Landing)

Originally Posted by kosh
An early Christmas prezzie for me. I have my appointment this Friday to go and collect my COPR document, officially land and become a permanent resident.

I was actually told about my COPR status a few months ago, but various delays and appointment cancellations pushed back my big day. I am due to collect COPR land land at my local CIC office.

I consider myself very fortunate, particularly the time line. I applied in March, was given AIP and an open work permit in August, a month later I received a letter say the application was complete and they were ready to issue my COPR.

The immigration officer said to bring my passport, two photos, a letter from my or my sponsors employer (confirming employment) and the RPRF.

Do I also need to return the open work permit?

Anyway, will update this thread later Friday and let you know how the big day was.

Thanks.
well done mate... nice weather here isn't it !?! I didn't return my work permit....I think it will just expire naturally....like most of us will do.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tangram
well done mate... nice weather here isn't it !?! I didn't return my work permit....I think it will just expire naturally....like most of us will do.
I`ll take it, but if he doesn`t ask for it back then it will be a nice souveneir!

Paid my RPRF at the bank this afternoon. Got my photos, have letter from employer, so I`m all set for tomorrow and becoming a permanent resident. It`s a funny feeling.

I don`t mind the weather too much. Supposed to turn mild until Xmas, means loads of slush and water everywhere.

I`m hoping I can walk to Service NB after and have my SIN changed with just my new COPR. They might ask for my PR card, but it doesn`t hurt to try. It`s only two blocks away.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:28 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I`ll take it, but if he doesn`t ask for it back then it will be a nice souveneir!

Paid my RPRF at the bank this afternoon. Got my photos, have letter from employer, so I`m all set for tomorrow and becoming a permanent resident. It`s a funny feeling.

I don`t mind the weather too much. Supposed to turn mild until Xmas, means loads of slush and water everywhere.

I`m hoping I can walk to Service NB after and have my SIN changed with just my new COPR. They might ask for my PR card, but it doesn`t hurt to try. It`s only two blocks away.
You can use your COPR. It's fine.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

You can use your COPR. It's fine.
I was in the immigration office all of ten minutes. He checked my documents, I also checked the documents (name, dob, address etc). I signed the COPR in two places, I was given a copy and that was it. No fanfare or anything. He wished me luck for the future and I was on my way.

Service Canada would not accept the COPR as proof for my SIN. I guess it`s because I applied inland and was not given a visa. I`ll have to wait until my PR card comes. No big deal, my 9xx card is good until next summer.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:16 am
Seasoned Maritimer

I was in the immigration office all of ten minutes. He checked my documents, I also checked the documents (name, dob, address etc). I signed the COPR in two places, I was given a copy and that was it. No fanfare or anything. He wished me luck for the future and I was on my way.

Service Canada would not accept the COPR as proof for my SIN. I guess it`s because I applied inland and was not given a visa. I`ll have to wait until my PR card comes. No big deal, my 9xx card is good until next summer.
Oh well, congrats anyway.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Oh well, congrats anyway.
My PR card arrived this afternoon. Took all of two weeks which impressed me very much, considering I was landed a few days before the Xmas holidays.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

My PR card arrived this afternoon. Took all of two weeks which impressed me very much, considering I was landed a few days before the Xmas holidays.
Anecdotally, PR Cards are issued more quickly in the winter months as many immigrants prefer to "land" at other times of the year.