Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Early Entry (Visas and TWP Approved)

Early Entry (Visas and TWP Approved)

Old Oct 26th 2014, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

wegotserved is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Early Entry (Visas and TWP Approved)

Hi there,

Please excuse the relatively naive question - always best to ask!

We have had our Visas and work permits approved - all based around my wife's new role which is slated to start on March 30th 2015.

We're now discussing the moving timeline and are planning the big move for mid-March - to give us a few weeks to get the house sorted ahead of the job starting.

I'm assuming that's going to be ok with regard to entering Canada early - but when we rock up at the airport to receive our Visa/Work permit documentation will it be dated from our entry date or post-dated to my wife's start date?

TIA
Terry
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early Entry (Visas and TWP Approved)

Originally Posted by wegotserved
Hi there,

Please excuse the relatively naive question - always best to ask!

We have had our Visas and work permits approved - all based around my wife's new role which is slated to start on March 30th 2015.

We're now discussing the moving timeline and are planning the big move for mid-March - to give us a few weeks to get the house sorted ahead of the job starting.

I'm assuming that's going to be ok with regard to entering Canada early - but when we rock up at the airport to receive our Visa/Work permit documentation will it be dated from our entry date or post-dated to my wife's start date?

TIA
Terry
Work permit(s) will be dated on the day the work permit is issued i.e. date you enter Canada unless you enter as a visitor first then activate it later by flag poling. They are not post dated. Im assuming you will be getting the work permit at a port of entry.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Work permit(s) will be dated on the day the work permit is issued i.e. date you enter Canada unless you enter as a visitor first then activate it later by flag poling. They are not post dated. Im assuming you will be getting the work permit at a port of entry.
Hi there,

Yes, we have CIC approvals in place now here at the UK end, so I'm also assuming we'll be asked by them to get the work permit at port of entry, using their approval letter.

I'd actually prefer to arrange everything at this end if possible, as we'll have a couple of toddlers in tow at the airport, and they're not the most patient (!) - we won't be moving until mid March so have time to sort it out - if it's possible to do so at this end?

Generally do you find that most people are requesting permits at the POE or is it possible to have the permit pre-arranged?

One further (very naive - apologies) question - as UK citizens, do we need a visa counterfoil attached to our passports or is this all now electronic? I'm slightly confused as how how visa waivers apply/don't apply for temporary resident status vs tourists!

Thanks for your response,
Terry

Last edited by wegotserved; Oct 27th 2014 at 2:50 am.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wegotserved
Hi there,

Yes, we have CIC approvals in place now here at the UK end, so I'm also assuming we'll be asked by them to get the work permit at port of entry, using their approval letter.

I'd actually prefer to arrange everything at this end if possible, as we'll have a couple of toddlers in tow at the airport, and they're not the most patient (!) - we won't be moving until mid March so have time to sort it out - if it's possible to do so at this end?

Generally do you find that most people are requesting permits at the POE or is it possible to have the permit pre-arranged?

One further (very naive - apologies) question - as UK citizens, do we need a visa counterfoil attached to our passports or is this all now electronic? I'm slightly confused as how how visa waivers apply/don't apply for temporary resident status vs tourists!

Thanks for your response,
Terry
London will only issue the letter of introduction and not the work permit itself so you would still have to see Immigration when entering to have the work permit printed so you wouldn't be saving any time or by passing Immigration.
UK citizens are exempt visas though they will be introducing the Electronic Travel Authorization allegedly next year which is similar to the ESTA.
As you have plenty time you could get London to do the work permit in the system and issue the LOI to present to Immigration.
Most choose to apply at the POE as the processing by London adds several weeks.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for clarifying - really appreciated.

Terry