Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

e-CAS Currently more trouble than it's worth?

e-CAS Currently more trouble than it's worth?

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:46 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default e-CAS Currently more trouble than it's worth?

Many of us know that e-CAS is on it's way out in favour of a new globally integrated immigration system due to take over in June 2011 (if I remember correctly).

Currently, e-CAS appears to be unreliable by way of it's updates, lack of up to date information (reflecting the stage an application is actually at) or even worse showing a totally incorrect status. Application 'Complete' springs to mind, when the said applicant hasn't even been asked for medicals

There seems to be a fair number of people posting with e-CAS related incorrect status questions and they are often, quite rightly I feel, in turmoil as a result.

On BE, those that have many years of knowledge of the Canadian immigration process are currently advising people to ignore e-CAS.

So why leave e-CAS online?
If e-CAS is this bad, rather than continue to provide incorrect information to people (for what can only be described as a major life changing event) wouldn't it be better if CIC removed public (Applicant) access until they are able to provide accurate data using the new system?

I'm sure some applicants have gone through, or are currently going through, major mental turmoil over this!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:48 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: e-CAS Currently more trouble than it's worth?

For example:

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But do remember that Ecas is screwed at the moment, and CIC will tell you that! They're freely admitting that it's just not working at the moment due to the changeover to the new system, and many people have got incorrect statuses, including 'decision made' - there have been many threads on the subject recently.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

princess caribou is on a distinguished road

I think it's a double edged sword. On the one hand you know that its an unreliable information system so to be taken with a pinch of salt but on the other its the only thing you have in the way of communication from CIC. Hence getting into the cycle of checking every Tuesday, sometimes every day for updates even though you know that your status may well be incorrect if it changes or not!
We are all investing so much time, energy, emotion and lets not forget hard earned cash into emigrating so I think once you're at this stage in the system i.e. waiting for status changes any tiny sliver of information that indicates the powers that be are dealing with your app is preferable to nothing and the constant worry that your app is at the bottom of a dusty pile never to be looked at
My name is princess caribou and I'm an ECAS-aholic! ARGH!!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

anunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by james.mc
Many of us know that e-CAS is on it's way out in favour of a new globally integrated immigration system due to take over in June 2011 (if I remember correctly).

Currently, e-CAS appears to be unreliable by way of it's updates, lack of up to date information (reflecting the stage an application is actually at) or even worse showing a totally incorrect status. Application 'Complete' springs to mind, when the said applicant hasn't even been asked for medicals

There seems to be a fair number of people posting with e-CAS related incorrect status questions and they are often, quite rightly I feel, in turmoil as a result.

On BE, those that have many years of knowledge of the Canadian immigration process are currently advising people to ignore e-CAS.

If e-CAS is this bad, rather than continue to provide incorrect information to people (for what can only be described as a major life changing event) wouldn't it be better if CIC removed public (Applicant) access until they are able to provide accurate data using the new system?

I'm sure some applicants have gone through, or are currently going through, major mental turmoil over this!
James,
we totally agree with everything you say, we keep checking e-CAS online but whenever we see "File received by Visa office" we wonder if that´s still where we´re at or have we gone "In Process" without us knowing? The whole thing is hugely frustrating and like you said, in such a major, live changing situation you want to know EXACTLY where you´re at, don´t you?
I contacted our Immigration consultant yesterday and she assured me that come April 11th, she´ll fire of a case specific email and then, hopefully, things will start to move on a bit.
All we can do is keep our fingers crossed and wait. And wait. And wait. And..well, you get the picture.
Take care, hope we all hear some good news soon.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

anunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant future

My name is princess caribou and I'm an ECAS-aholic! ARGH!!!![/QUOTE]

LOL: Princess, that made me laugh! I´ll join you at the next meeting.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

princess caribou is on a distinguished road

LOL: Princess, that made me laugh! I´ll join you at the next meeting. [/QUOTE]

I think we'd need to hire the Albert Hall there'll be so many people!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Although there have certainly been some problems, it does seem to be getting much better.

The "medicals have been received" bug finally seems sorted, and at least applicants are finding out with reasonable accuracy when their file goes into process.

So I think at least for post-June-26 applications it is proving to be useful.

I notice our address is appearing again now. The disappearance of address was allegedly due to the switch from CAIPS to GCMS, so I wonder if the reemergence of our address is an indication that our file has now been transferred to GCMS?

I think ECAS will still be used for files which are on CAIPS and are on GCMS.

Wayne.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree, I think it should be scrapped for a while until it's working again, but suspect that there are many people that would be lost without it!

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:42 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

i think its because you have such a lack of control over the process, that you latch on to anything that might give you info.

I checked ours all the time during the 2.5 years it took for us to get PR despite the fact it never changed once , the entire time !!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
i think its because you have such a lack of control over the process, that you latch on to anything that might give you info.

I checked ours all the time during the 2.5 years it took for us to get PR despite the fact it never changed once , the entire time !!!!
I check it about 3 times per day!

We useful to see last week when we went from "Received by visa office" to "IN Process" with the extra line "We reviewed your application and started processing on 15 March 2011".

Although we've yet to have any correspondence from London VO it is comforting to have something to indicate that things are moving forward.

Wayne.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:08 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Currently, e-CAS appears to be unreliable by way of it's updates, lack of up to date information (reflecting the stage an application is actually at) or even worse showing a totally incorrect status.
LOL, currently?

It always been crap, I've always considered it some sneaky part of the "hardening" process to help new immigrants acclimatize to life in a new place

If you can survive the torture of ecas and its cryptic "updates" while waiting to get here, then life on the ground once you are here is a breeze in comparison
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:10 am
All Sooked up!

Originally Posted by iaink
... LOL, currently?

It always been crap, I've always considered it some sneaky part of the "hardening" process to help new immigrants acclimatize to life in a new place ....
I was trying to be diplomatic
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Elen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really nice

Hi, I'm a post June 2010 Cat 2 applicant and I received my PER at the start of March (2011). Having been given my ECAS number at this stage my status stayed at 'Application received' for about a week then changed to 'In Process'(which it still is). I seem to have skipped the part were it should have said 'Received by Visa Office' so I'm none the wiser as to whether ECAS is accurate or not!

My status reads - 'We received your application for permanent residence on December 2, 2010.

We reviewed your application and sent you a letter on March 4, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

Your application was reviewed and we started processing on March 4, 2011'

Any ideas?
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

It said 'in process' for three and half years for us. I hadn't realised people were actually attempting to use it as a resource tbh...

Why would you do that to yourself?
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Actually e-CAS is not on its way out in favour of GCMS, as I understand it. CAIPS is out in favour of GCMS.

e-CAS is just the front-end web access to CAIPS, so I imagine e-CAS will also be the front-end web access to GCMS. Indeed some users from canadavisa.com with "E00" we think were added directly onto GCMS and have never been on CAIPS, and can still access e-CAS fine.

So IMO e-CAS will remain - they might (hopefully will) make it more current, accurate and informative though.

Wayne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.