dutch passport

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dutch passport

Originally Posted by snowhugs
thanks for all your input! I was born in Holland of dutch parents and have held a dutch passport my whole life. I have been married to an englishman for 6 years and lived in the uk since 1988!
So you're eligible for British citizenship then.

And under current Dutch law, as long as your husband is a British citizen, you should be allowed to keep your Dutch citizenship (per the Dutch links, which you may wish to verify).

Despite any previous understanding to the contrary, you should strongly consider taking up the option of becoming British before you leave. It will not be available later on if you change your mind.

I left Holland when i was 2 and was always led to believe you could not hold more than one nationality at the time if both were EU,
I often wonder where this myth comes from. It's totally untrue, of course.

Perhaps the origin is the 1963 (European) Convention on the Reduction of Cases of Multiple Nationality and on Military Obligations in Cases of Multiple Nationality. However, only a small number of European countries have signed up to Part II of this convention, concerning nationality.

http://conventions.coe.int/Treaty/Co...24/2008&CL=ENG

Dual citizenship within the EU is quite common. For example, there are many British/Irish dual citizens. Britain, Ireland, France, Italy, Portugal, Sweden, Finland, Malta, Greece and Hungary are among those with few or no restrictions on dual citizenship.

certainly when my son was born he was given both a dutch and english passport but told he would have to choose between one or the other when he was 18.
Again not true!

There is no requirement in British law to make any "choice".

As far as Dutch law is concerned, he also doesn't have to make any "choice" at age 18. He should be able to stay Dutch provided that:

- you do not lose your own Dutch citizenship while he is a minor (you should verify if his citizenship is lost if you lose yours, the Dutch websites are not clear on this); and
- he keeps his Dutch passport renewed once he is 18; and
- he doesn't do anything as an adult to lose his Dutch citizenship, such as taking on the citizenship of a third country without falling into one of the exemptions set down by the law.