Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Dual intent, sorry bit of a long winded question...

Dual intent, sorry bit of a long winded question...

Old May 1st 2016, 4:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual intent, sorry bit of a long winded question...

Originally Posted by adfletch83
From personal experience:

We submitted our forms on 6th November and I flew to Toronto on the 16th December 2015. By that time we'd not yet had SA so I expected to enter as a tourist and wasn't really looking for the dual-intent. As I wasn't able to work in Canada, I'd booked a return flight to England for the 29th March (4 months later).

When I got to immigration (the second one), I told them I was in the application process and stated my reason for coming as 'visiting my wife'. The Immigration Officer punched my details into his system, asked my DOB and found me on his computer. He even confirmed my wife's address back to me. So my info was on his system well before we got SA. He asked how long I intended to stay and I told him 4 months (as I couldn't afford to live without working, we'd decided to return March 29th). He said "oh, ok then. I was going to give you a year's visa, but I'l just give you 4 months if you're leaving in March". I said "Yeah, I know about dual-intent but I can't afford to stay that long" and he said "yeah that's the one. Never mind"

So basically, I don't think you'd NEED the return flight, Immigration can use their common sense and judgement. A man with a Canadian wife and (dual-)Canadian kids is hardly likely to have ambitions of becoming an illegal immigrant. Also, my return flight was with a different company and was booked 3-4 months apart to my outbound flight. No-one ever asked me if I had a return flight booked.

Good luck
It's not Immigration that is likely to cause problems, more likely the airline could refuse to board you as you would not have any status in Canada.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 1st 2016 at 4:43 am.
Old May 1st 2016, 4:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scott_Chegg
Just an update on how it went.

We flew from Gatwick via Air Transat with one way tickets to Toronto, at no point did anyone anywhere ask if we had return tickets (I had proof of funds just in case).

My wife and kids who are all Canadian citizens (so are precluded from getting eTAs) were traveling on their UK passports. They were not questioned for not having eTAs so it seems to be almost redundant until it becomes mandatory in the fall. We brought proof of them all being Canadians just in case.

The passport control guy didn't want to see any of our supporting documents, just our passports. He just sent us over to the Immigration area where I asked the officer for a 12 month visitor record. That guy didn't want to see any of our papers either as he said he could see my application on his screen. He said my PR had been approved 2 days prior to our arrival which was nice.

We then went to Customs to sort out our goods to follow and get another form filled in and copied.

I have to say everyone we spoke to was very pleasant and helpful, it couldn't have gone much better.

One more thing, we landed in Toronto about 2pm on a Saturday and the airport was very quiet, no queues anywhere. If anyone is flying to Toronto with kids that might be a good time to plan to arrive.
Thanks for the update - it's always good to hear how people got on!

Old May 1st 2016, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Scott_Chegg is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, thanks again for all the responses and help along the way.

I'm sure I'll have more questions to ask about various Canadian matters from an immigrants point of view as time trundles along, the members of this forum provide such a wealth of invaluable information.
Old May 1st 2016, 8:10 am
Banned

I'm sure I'll have more questions to ask about various Canadian matters from an immigrants point of view as time trundles along, the members of this forum provide such a wealth of invaluable information.
You are very welcome and I'm so glad that you found the forum of use. Please feel free to post any and all questions, that's what keeps us going!

Old May 1st 2016, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

adfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely, this forum is awesome!
Old Jun 8th 2016, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

CReg91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Thanks for all the useful info!

I'm in a similar position whereby I need to start thinking about the possibility of not getting my visa in time and moving over with dual intent while we wait. At first I was going to stay in London while my sponsor moved over but I read in another post that that's a risky idea (could be seen as a break in the relationship).

I was wondering whether someone could tell me, from their experience and covering basic lifestyle activities, what exactly a visitor can and cannot do (generally). How have some people generally found life under dual intent? The things I'm particularly interested in are:

- Renting a flat. Are you able to put your name on a tenancy agreement beside your sponsor's or does the sponsor have to take sole responsibility for that (along with utilities etc.)? Have you had/can you foresee any issues with renting where a visitor is concerned?
- Driving. I have a UK licence and my sponsor's parents are leaving us their old car. Can I still get myself insured? My sponsor doesn't have a licence so it would all be down to me.

I understand that: I can't work, can't apply for health care, might be able to study but will need to apply for a study permit, and could open a bank account (I saw that Scotia Bank have a special programme for newcomers).

I'd appreciate any kind of insight!
Old Jun 8th 2016, 8:14 am
Just Joined

stupid_old_fart is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I entered under Dual intent a few months ago although my application is an Inland one.

We crossed at the Osoyoos Land Border post, Our thinking being it would be a quieter post with less stressed staff, at that point we had been married about a week and I had no applications in the system at all. For those wondering, we got married in America in case I got refused entering as a visitor into Canada and declaring I was coming to marry!

I brought with me, return tickets, proof of funds, travel and medical insurance, and obviously my wife was right beside me. We had to sit for 2 hours (which we expected) as checks on me and I assume my wife happened. The end result, I got granted a 12 month visa under dual intent (which went way beyond the return date on the ticket). I have been told I am entitled to a Driving licence in a swap for my UK one, which will expire on the date of my visa, I have not taken this up, as it just seems easier to drive for the 4 months on my UK one with an international driving permit, and change it over with my work permit for a 2 year plus licence. Insurance is covered on my wives policy, so i can't help on that. (she informed them I am driving on a UK license, they informed her I'm okay short-term and noted it on the policy). Health card/coverage...not a chance, until I receive either the work permit or Approval in Principle of my PR, trust me, we tried.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 8:18 am
Just Joined

If the landlord is happy with it, I honestly don't see what could stop you going on the tenancy agreement?
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

CReg91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the response stupid_old_fart (feels rude saying that!)

It seems like things went pretty smoothly for you then. There aren't too many people who have nightmare stories so that puts my mind at rest.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 15th 2016, 7:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by stupid_old_fart
Hi there, I entered under Dual intent a few months ago although my application is an Inland one.

We crossed at the Osoyoos Land Border post, Our thinking being it would be a quieter post with less stressed staff, at that point we had been married about a week and I had no applications in the system at all. For those wondering, we got married in America in case I got refused entering as a visitor into Canada and declaring I was coming to marry!

I brought with me, return tickets, proof of funds, travel and medical insurance, and obviously my wife was right beside me. We had to sit for 2 hours (which we expected) as checks on me and I assume my wife happened. The end result, I got granted a 12 month visa under dual intent (which went way beyond the return date on the ticket). I have been told I am entitled to a Driving licence in a swap for my UK one, which will expire on the date of my visa, I have not taken this up, as it just seems easier to drive for the 4 months on my UK one with an international driving permit, and change it over with my work permit for a 2 year plus licence. Insurance is covered on my wives policy, so i can't help on that. (she informed them I am driving on a UK license, they informed her I'm okay short-term and noted it on the policy). Health card/coverage...not a chance, until I receive either the work permit or Approval in Principle of my PR, trust me, we tried.
Please note that in order to get a Drivers Licence, you normally need to have a Visitor Record (not just the stamp in your passport - which is not a visa, by the way), something you may want to see if you can get, if you don't already.

Old Jun 15th 2016, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi there, I entered under Dual intent a few months ago although my application is an Inland one..........

The end result, I got granted a 12 month visa under dual intent (which went way beyond the return date on the ticket).
Sorry when i said 12 month visa I meant a visitor record, rather than a stamp. Still learning all this terminology.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 4:37 am
Banned

Sorry when i said 12 month visa I meant a visitor record, rather than a stamp. Still learning all this terminology.
No problem! It was more for others' benefit in case they read it later...

All the terminology gets a little muddled for everyone, don't worry!