Dual Intent - Self-employment

Old Oct 20th 2020, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

unobscure is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dual Intent - Self-employment

Originally Posted by jonathan1981
Thank you for all of the information. ​​Good to know that the number of applications being processed is increasing.

I've tried linking the application via both Ecas and MyCIC, but no luck yet. I don't have an application number or UCI yet (as far as i'm aware) so have been trying to do it on MyCIC with Family Name, Given Name and Date of Birth.
I have TWO UCI numbers and still can't link it, so your not alone. (In my case I think it is because my application package is still being checked and currently only has a temp file number).
Old Oct 20th 2020, 10:43 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unobscure
I have TWO UCI numbers and still can't link it, so your not alone. (In my case I think it is because my application package is still being checked and currently only has a temp file number).
You should only have ONE UCI - it's a Unique Client Identifier - and that's generally your "reference number" for any application! Whichever number you put down on your application is the one you should be checking.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You should only have ONE UCI - it's a Unique Client Identifier - and that's generally your "reference number" for any application! Whichever number you put down on your application is the one you should be checking.
I'm aware of that. The very helpful Immigration phoneline agent I spoke to yesterday was rather puzzled as well. I think the reason is that our first submission had a silly mistake so the pack was sent back and, when we corrected and resubmitted, it was maybe mistakenly treated as a new application and a new UCI was created.

So we have the UCI that was on the letter that came with the "you messed up" returned package back in April and a different UCI which showed up when the agent checked my details yesterday. I assume that going forward it will be the second one... but currently neither seem to work for the purpose of linking the application to my online account.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 3:59 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unobscure
I'm aware of that. The very helpful Immigration phoneline agent I spoke to yesterday was rather puzzled as well. I think the reason is that our first submission had a silly mistake so the pack was sent back and, when we corrected and resubmitted, it was maybe mistakenly treated as a new application and a new UCI was created.

So we have the UCI that was on the letter that came with the "you messed up" returned package back in April and a different UCI which showed up when the agent checked my details yesterday. I assume that going forward it will be the second one... but currently neither seem to work for the purpose of linking the application to my online account.
How strange, and frustrating! I found ECAS to be much easier to log into.. once they had opened the application it was updated regularly. Fingers crossed for you!
Do be aware that the infamous 'MISinformation line' doesn't have immigration officers or visa officers working on it - it's a bit like a call center, paid clerks who have limited information they are allowed to give out and have to adhere to strict guidelines (and have been known to give incorrect information/advice). They can check your account online, but not much else. You must have got lucky to get a helpful one who was able to tell you more than usual!

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 21st 2020 at 4:11 am.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

You must have got lucky to get a helpful one who was able to tell you more than usual!
When you call there is ten minutes of recorded messages about covid delays and about the agents not being able to magically speed up your application (even if you shout really loudly at them).

I get the feeling I was the first person this week to be calm and civil so she went and looked in the system to see if I was there.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

jonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
We wouldn't recommend it. Could you enter Canada at the moment given the restrictions on visitors due to Covid?

If you applied in July, then hopefully it won't be long until you get SA.

Good luck.
As far as I know i'm still able to enter Canada despite Covid restrictions, as i'm married to a Canadian citizen. Is this correct?

It's looking increasingly likely that we might not receive SA before my wife has to leave the UK (February 2021). I am planning on joining her and entering Canada on a visitor visa, as I currently have no idea how long SA might take. I have every intention of returning to the UK after my visitor visa expires -- would you be able to share some material ways in which I can prove this to the immigration officer?

Thank you.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 3:55 pm
Banned

As far as I know i'm still able to enter Canada despite Covid restrictions, as i'm married to a Canadian citizen. Is this correct?

It's looking increasingly likely that we might not receive SA before my wife has to leave the UK (February 2021). I am planning on joining her and entering Canada on a visitor visa, as I currently have no idea how long SA might take. I have every intention of returning to the UK after my visitor visa expires -- would you be able to share some material ways in which I can prove this to the immigration officer?

Thank you.
You would need to apply for authrisation to travel and enter Canada in advance - without it, you won't be allowed on the plane. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-family.html
When did you apply for spousal sponsorship? Stage 1 approval usually takes a couple of months...do ensure your spouse is checking emails / spam folder / ECAS etc., - it's easy to miss. On ECAS - do ensure you are putting the country of birth as England / Ireland / Scotland / Wales etc., and not the generic UK - it won't work unless you do. You can also try your sponsors details, rather than your own - because that's what you are checking initially..
If it's your intention to enter prior to receiving sponsor approval then you will need to show ties to the UK - i.e. reasons to return.. (do read our fabulous wiki on the subject ) https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...d:_Dual_Intent

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 9th 2020 at 3:58 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2020, 10:47 am
Just Joined

jonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond reputejonathan1981 has a reputation beyond repute

You would need to apply for authrisation to travel and enter Canada in advance - without it, you won't be allowed on the plane. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-family.html
When did you apply for spousal sponsorship? Stage 1 approval usually takes a couple of months...do ensure your spouse is checking emails / spam folder / ECAS etc., - it's easy to miss. On ECAS - do ensure you are putting the country of birth as England / Ireland / Scotland / Wales etc., and not the generic UK - it won't work unless you do. You can also try your sponsors details, rather than your own - because that's what you are checking initially..
If it's your intention to enter prior to receiving sponsor approval then you will need to show ties to the UK - i.e. reasons to return.. (do read our fabulous wiki on the subject ) https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...d:_Dual_Intent
Thanks for the info.

The Covid restrictions are a little confusing but it sounds like i'm exempt from written authorisation to travel? I have an eTA that is valid until 2022 and am married to a Canadian citizen.
If you’re an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or permanent resident, and you already have an eTA
You don’t need a written authorization from us confirming that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions.
We applied in July, and it seems like people who applied in April/May are still waiting for AOR. We've tried ECAS with all different types of info, and nothing in junk/spam.

I suppose i'm asking for concrete ways I can prove my intent to leave at the end of my visitor visa. A return plane ticket is obviously one way of doing this. I will be continuing to run my business from the UK, and only taking essential personal belongings with me to Canada, i'm just wondering how I can prove this, instead of simply hoping that the immigration officer believes me.
Old Dec 10th 2020, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got a definitive date for when your wife intends to return to Canada or is it all what if questions?

A visitor must leave Canada at the end of their stay and they can apply for extensions. Your situation is different as you are married to a Canadian who intends to return and live in Canada permanently. You have submitted a spousal application but no decision has been made.
A return ticket is no guarantee that you would leave. A letter from your employer stating Mr X is due to resume duties on X date is beneficial but as you are self employed that doesn't help. Do you own property in particular a house? What if any other ties do you have to the UK that could show you intend to return?

Put yourself in the CBSA officers shoes would you believe someone in the same situation and what would satisfy you? Not easy is it as I have come across the odd one or two travellers who have told me lies or presented me with fraudulent documents.
Old Dec 10th 2020, 3:58 pm
Banned

Thanks for the info.

The Covid restrictions are a little confusing but it sounds like i'm exempt from written authorisation to travel? I have an eTA that is valid until 2022 and am married to a Canadian citizen.
We applied in July, and it seems like people who applied in April/May are still waiting for AOR. We've tried ECAS with all different types of info, and nothing in junk/spam.

I suppose i'm asking for concrete ways I can prove my intent to leave at the end of my visitor visa. A return plane ticket is obviously one way of doing this. I will be continuing to run my business from the UK, and only taking essential personal belongings with me to Canada, i'm just wondering how I can prove this, instead of simply hoping that the immigration officer believes me.
Confusing indeed - but I recommend having this information
  • present proof to show that you’re an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or Canadian permanent resident
  • show that you’re eligible to travel at this time
    • You must be able to provide evidence of one of the following:
      • You’ll stay in Canada for 15 days or more.
      • You’re travelling for a non-discretionary purpose.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-family.html

As for proving ties to the UK - I suggest a quick read over the official bulletins - links below - as to what they look for
Are you coming just for a visit or are you hoping to remain here until you receive COPR? If you are coming for longer than a visit and don't yet have stage 1 approval, show reasons to return to the UK - an appointment you have to attend (bank / solicitor / accountant / tax department / doctor/hospital - anything that wouldn't easily be rescheduled) , a course you are starting, a wedding or family event you need to be back for.. a vacation that is already booked... (normally we'd suggest a letter from your employer stating you are due back to work on xyz date / or from school/college/Uni for similar)..

This one, although for a student, will also give you some idea on what they look for https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...derations.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...derations.html
and https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...pplicants.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 10th 2020 at 5:35 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Have you got a definitive date for when your wife intends to return to Canada or is it all what if questions?
Yes, we have a definitive date at the end of February (when my wife's UK spouse visa will expire).

Are you coming just for a visit or are you hoping to remain here until you receive COPR?
A visit. Like I said, i'll be leaving my business and the majority of my possessions in the UK, so will need to return to finalise my affairs here before moving permanently. Ideally I would like to stay the full 6 months but it sounds like they are potentially more likely to admit entry if the trip length is shorter?
Old Dec 14th 2020, 3:36 pm
Banned

Yes, we have a definitive date at the end of February (when my wife's UK spouse visa will expire).

A visit. Like I said, i'll be leaving my business and the majority of my possessions in the UK, so will need to return to finalise my affairs here before moving permanently. Ideally I would like to stay the full 6 months but it sounds like they are potentially more likely to admit entry if the trip length is shorter?
6 months isn't really 'a visit' and many people return to the UK after doing a soft landing, it's not uncommon. 'I need to go back for my possessions' isn't really a reason to return - particularly as you are self employed and work remotely, no business to close down immediately, you could continue to run it from overseas for the time being.

If you don't have SA before you try to enter the CBSA Officer may ask you how long you intend to stay - I wouldn't recommend asking for 6 months as it will send up red flags. You will be asked the reason for your visit - and as soon as they see that you have a Canadian spouse they will wonder if you intend to leave again, so the onus will be on you to prove that you are a genuine visitor and are coming over for a short stay to spend time with your spouse before returning to the UK for meetings / appointments etc. You could always apply for an extension to your visitor status by mail or online before your 'due date' for leaving if you wanted to stay longer than you said.

On the subject of your possessions - if it's your intention to stay until you 'land' Canada, you will need to have prepared your Goods to follow documentation in order to bring your belongings in free of taxes and duty - but if you are only visiting for a few weeks and will leave the country before re-entering to 'land' you won't need to do so until you re-enter. Having a 'goods to follow' list with you could give them advance notice that you aren't intending to leave.

You should be able to see your sponsors details in e-CAS if they have opened the application and started processing it, so keep checking using their name / d.o.b. and the receipt number.
Let's hope that you receive SA very soon and all this will have been unnecessary - fingers crossed for you!

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 14th 2020 at 3:44 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all of the advice, really helpful.

Would you be able to confirm that I don't need to seek written permission from IRCC in order to fly? I'm married to a Canadian citizen and will be flying with her. Also I will be staying for over 15 days and following all quarantine/airline rules. As far as I can tell I do not need written authorization, but the information available is a little unclear.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all of the advice, really helpful.

Would you be able to confirm that I don't need to seek written permission from IRCC in order to fly? I'm married to a Canadian citizen and will be flying with her. Also I will be staying for over 15 days and following all quarantine/airline rules. As far as I can tell I do not need written authorization, but the information available is a little unclear.
Hello, just a quick bump on this. Would be great to get confirmation from someone for my peace of mind!
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

At his current time based on your answers I would say you WONT be allowed to enter Canada. What the answer in February will be is nobody knows.

My answer is given using the CBSA website and answering a few questions as found in this link and using today to answer the questions

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...rkers-students

Try it yourself and see what it says. based on your recent answers in your posts there is NO reason why you need to come to Canada. Your wife is the Canadian who needs to return and although sponsoring you it appears your application is being processed and you only want to visit. Try it yourself and see what answer you get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.