Dual Intent...

Old Jan 1st 2019, 8:47 pm
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute
Question Dual Intent...

Hello chaps and chappettes! Happy New Year and all the good things...

I have a question (I've had a nose about on the forums for dual intent and it seems to bring up spousal applications with one partner being a PR or citizen, this is not my situation...). Is the following possible?

Enter Canada on Temporary Visa/Visitor with an entry date and a leaving date; express an intention to have a lovely holiday and see family (all true) but also to apply for self employed PR visa while in country; leave and head back to the UK on scheduled date as per the law (because i'm a good citizen...); apply for an open work permit once back in the UK as I believe I would be eligible having applied for PR in Canada...

I know there's a lot of zigging and zagging involved in that plan but it might be crazy enough to work!

What's your thoughts... This is all assuming that the IRCC don't move the goalposts again between now and September!
Old Jan 1st 2019, 9:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Intent...

I think I’m missing something - where’s the dual intent in that plan? You won’t be eligible for an open work permit from what you’ve said (only those already in Canada on normal TWP’s are), so that bit’s not relevant to you.

You don’t need to be in Canada to apply for PR, so personally if you’re eligible now I’d apply sooner rather than later given the ridiculously long processing times for the self employed route.

Old Jan 1st 2019, 9:31 pm
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute

As I understoond it dual intent was exactly that: arriving on one visa for one stated purpose with the secondary intent to apply for another type of visa. I also understood it to be possible to apply for an Open Work Permit if your application for PR was made in Canada...

I know the self employed visa route is a long and torturous one compared to some more recent routes but I'm 44 this year with no degree level education and my exemplary english skills can only get me so far with PR though EE! I'm interested in the Tech Pilot Scheme in BC but that's still got it's hurdles for an older chap...
Old Jan 1st 2019, 9:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theotherlebowski
As I understoond it dual intent was exactly that: arriving on one visa for one stated purpose with the secondary intent to apply for another type of visa. I also understood it to be possible to apply for an Open Work Permit if your application for PR was made in Canada...
Nope. The Bridging Open Work Permit is only for those who have applied for PR but are already in Canada in TWP’s that are about to expire.

I think you’re thinking of an open work permit that those applying for spousal sponsorship from within Canada can apply for. But that is specific to spousal applicants, no other visa route qualifies.

Shame that you don’t score enough for PR via EE (but you do score enough on the self employed selection grid right?). Is a job offer an option at all? Then you could move much sooner than if you apply under the Self Employed stream.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 9:52 pm
The Dude Abides

I've not seen any stipulations that Open Work Permits are only for spousal applications... see points 3 & 9: Who can apply for an open work permit?

Sasdly getting a company to offer me a job and sponsor me is a non-starter at the moment. It's not financially worth their while to do it. Non-refundable fees, months of waiting when they need someone right then etc... Depending on my IELTS score and how that maps to the grid then i could be scoring around 65 and above for self employed. I was hoping that there was a way to apply for SE PR in canada to make applying for that pesky open work visa easier from outside...
Old Jan 1st 2019, 10:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Point 9 isn’t applicable to you - you don’t have a TRP. Point 3 also isn’t relevant as unfortunately it’s not for all PR apps. If you take the test it should clarify it for you.

Sorry, but if a normal TWP isn’t an option and neither is EE, it looks like you’re in for the long old wait of a self employed app in the UK. You could always job hunt in the interim in the hope that somebody is prepared to wait for you. Try and go out there at least twice a hear and job hunt in person to maximise your chances if you can.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 6:02 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theotherlebowski
I've not seen any stipulations that Open Work Permits are only for spousal applications... see points 3 & 9: Who can apply for an open work permit?

Sasdly getting a company to offer me a job and sponsor me is a non-starter at the moment. It's not financially worth their while to do it. Non-refundable fees, months of waiting when they need someone right then etc... Depending on my IELTS score and how that maps to the grid then i could be scoring around 65 and above for self employed. I was hoping that there was a way to apply for SE PR in canada to make applying for that pesky open work visa easier from outside...
Did you ever look into the Start Up visa, as suggested previously I think? That could give you the opportunity to obtain a TWP whilst your PR application was in process. What about a job offer under the Global Talent Stream for BC? Yes, they require an LMIA (to prove you meet the criteria) but the employers are aware of the necessity already, else they wouldn't be registered with the scheme. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ap...?q1_options=1m

As chrismasoompa has said, you don't qualify for an open work permit whether you were applying from within or without Canada.. they are for specific circumstances - none of which apply to you at this present moment in time... but read below

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tart-visa.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/start-visa/work-permits.html <-- work permit

Edited to add, I noticed this company had a lot of vacancies for Audio Video Technicians ( I believe I gave you their name a while back ) - might be worth getting in touch.. https://workforcenow.adp.com/mdf/rec...urrentOpenings

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 2nd 2019 at 12:48 pm.