Dual intent

Old Feb 14th 2015, 5:53 pm
Perfer et obdura

Location: Birmingham 26 years, Germany 20 years, in Toronto since 2015
anglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dual intent

OK, please talk to me about entering Canada with dual intent; I can't find anything in the Wiki and relevant threads are few and far between.

I am a UK citizen currently residing in Germany and married to a Canadian citizen; we have an address in Toronto. We have a spousal sponsorship application in process; we haven't received spousal sponsorship approval yet, but in terms of income, lack of criminal background etc. things should be fine. I would be coming over with my son, who is a German/British citizen; his father (my ex-husband) has given his consent. I am a freelance translator and can therefore do my job anywhere in the world provided I have a laptop and internet access.

Originally we had decided to wait things out here so that my son could continue his schooling (he's 13). However, I will be withdrawing him from mainstream schooling in Germany because he has quite severe Asperger syndrome and the system is causing him a lot of problems. That being the case, I thought maybe we could come over to Canada and wait the remainder of the process out there while homeschooling my son (homeschooling is not legal in Germany).

Does this sound do-able, or am I likely to be walking into trouble?

I know that we need to come over on a return ticket and convince the border officials that we have enough ties to take us back to Germany once the time allotted is up. However, I am not sure how we can go about this. The only real tie we have in Germany is the fact that my son's father resides here. I could also provide something called an "Aufenthaltsbescheinigung" (a certificate of residence) (with certified translation, of course) from the local authorities here in Germany confirming that we are registered as residing at a German address (we are currently still sharing an apartment with my ex-husband (my son's biological father)). Otherwise, I really don't know how to prove we would be leaving the country once the 6 months or whatever are up.

Can anyone give me any hints/ideas/warnings? We would like to come over at the end of May/beginning of June, as that is when my husband will have hisi annual leave.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 10:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual intent

Hello, you might find the section on Dual Intent in the wiki helpful - you can find it here: Spousal Sponsorship-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Old Feb 15th 2015, 8:49 am
Perfer et obdura

Location: Birmingham 26 years, Germany 20 years, in Toronto since 2015
anglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual intent

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hello, you might find the section on Dual Intent in the wiki helpful - you can find it here: Spousal Sponsorship-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Excellent thank you, this is what I was looking for but couldn't find!