Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

dual citizenship/spousal sponsorship query

dual citizenship/spousal sponsorship query

Old Aug 20th 2016, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

lstinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile dual citizenship/spousal sponsorship query

Hi myself and my husband are hoping to move to Canada next year. I lived in Canada as a child but have lived in Scotland for the past 20 years. I have dual citizenship (naturalized) but my passport expired and as far as I can see I need my citizenship certificate before I can apply for my Canadian passport.

I think spousal sponsorship is the best way forward with regards to my husband? He would be looking to work in Canada so will need a work permit? Im unsure what one is best to apply for.

Would my husband be able to apply for PR also? And would I send all of these applications at the same time?

Thanks
Old Aug 20th 2016, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

goneforgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: dual citizenship/spousal sponsorship query

Originally Posted by lstinson
Hi myself and my husband are hoping to move to Canada next year. I lived in Canada as a child but have lived in Scotland for the past 20 years. I have dual citizenship (naturalized) but my passport expired and as far as I can see I need my citizenship certificate before I can apply for my Canadian passport.

I think spousal sponsorship is the best way forward with regards to my husband? He would be looking to work in Canada so will need a work permit? Im unsure what one is best to apply for.

Would my husband be able to apply for PR also? And would I send all of these applications at the same time?

Thanks
We are in a very similar situation to you. I have dual citizenship but have not lived in Canada since the 1980s. My Canadian passport had also expired. I wanted to sponsor my common law partner, he is British. First thing I did was renew my Canadian passport (I still had my citizenship card and my expired Canadian passport so this wasn't an issue. Do you have either of these documents?). Once I had the passport we applied for PR in October last year under the Family Sponsorship programme. We are in the final stages now, we have just had a request for photos and an updated UK police report.

Once your husband has PR he can work in Canada. Are you planning on moving to Canada before you apply to sponsor your husband?
Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0103 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, goneforgood.

I am just about to send my application off (sponsoring my girlfriend), did you send photos in the first place? I've got about 30 or so with my application so far.

All being well, have they give you any indication as to how long it will take after you've sent this additional info?

Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: dual citizenship/spousal sponsorship query

Originally Posted by pjm3586
Hi, goneforgood.

I am just about to send my application off (sponsoring my girlfriend), did you send photos in the first place? I've got about 30 or so with my application so far.

All being well, have they give you any indication as to how long it will take after you've sent this additional info?

Thanks
The reason they asked us for extra photos is that the specs for the PR photos changed after we sent in our application in October last year. They asked for a set of photos with the new specs, they do this with all the applications still in process from before November 2015 that sent in the old spec photos. You should send the required number of photos with your application, just make sure they conform to the present specs as listed in the application forms.

CIC never tell you what is happening or how long it's going to take. You just have to tough it out. Going by what others have experienced it shouldn't take too long now. They don't ask for stuff unless they are about to process the next stage.

Once you've submitted your application you can ask for your details to be added to the forum spreadsheet (assuming one of you is British) and drive yourself crazy watching everyone around you getting their applications processed faster than you.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses.

So I should apply for my certificate and then passport and just apply for PR for my husband? Do I have to send a police report with my initial application for him? Or do I provide that when they request it?
Old Aug 21st 2016, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

So I should apply for my certificate and then passport and just apply for PR for my husband? Do I have to send a police report with my initial application for him? Or do I provide that when they request it?

Do you not have either your citizenship card or expired passport? I had both, so I'm not sure if this is going to slow you down when renewing your passport if you don't have them. Presumably they will have you on record somewhere. Once you have a valid Canadian passport you can start the application for sponsorship of your husband. You will not need to apply for any work permits as he will be allowed to work once he has his PR visa. Are you intending to move to Canada before he gets his visa? You can do this and continue the application from inside Canada, you will be allowed to work. There was a scheme in place that allowed sponsored spouses to work as well while they were waiting for their PR, I'm not sure if this is still running. Someone more knowledgeable on this forum will know, or you could research the CIC website.

As for the police report, you should read the excellent resources here:

Bad link...see next post

We sent ours as part of the application package...I believe they ask for it upfront. I can't remember all the gory details as it was months ago, but the Wiki has everything you will need to know.

The British police report is only valid for 6 months, so if your application takes longer than that, chances are you will have to get another done (at £45 a pop). Just depends on whether your application is sent to Ottawa (fast) or London (horribly slow)...luck of the draw.

Last edited by goneforgood; Aug 21st 2016 at 5:25 pm. Reason: link not working
Old Aug 21st 2016, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry. That link seems not to work. Try this Spousal Sponsorship-Canada : British Expat Wiki

And this:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

Last edited by goneforgood; Aug 21st 2016 at 5:22 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

I've just re-read your question. The police report is for him, not you. You are a Canadian citizen and you do not need to provide a police report. Your husband will need to supply a police report for every country he has ever lived in for more than 6 months. In our case that included Portugal as well as the UK.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that information. We wouldn't be moving until my husband had PR and was therefore able to work in canada.

I don't have my old passport unfortunately but I was assuming I would be on records somewhere and have proof that my mother was a canadian citizen at the time of my birth.

It seems they ask for the police report up front which seems silly as I don't see everything being processed within 6 month and will no doubt have to provide another one.

I will get my own passport sorted and then start the process of PR for my husband. I will have a look and see if that programme is still running allowing him to work in the meantime which would mean we could bring the move forward.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Canada is very strict about criminal records, so I imagine knowing that there is a police record at the beginning of an application would prevent a lot of wasted time. And if you were lucky enough to have your application passed to Ottawa for processing your husband could have his PR visa within weeks rather than months.

I have had a look at the CIC site and the programme for allowing sponsored spouses to work doesn't seem to be in evidence any more. You could both still go to Canada before the visa is granted, your husband would not be able to work and would have to enter as a visitor. There he could apply for an open work permit...

I am being sponsored under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. Can I work while my permanent residence application is in process?
qnum=1163&top=17

This only seems to be an option for those applying for PR from within Canada.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 11:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that information. We wouldn't be moving until my husband had PR and was therefore able to work in canada.

I don't have my old passport unfortunately but I was assuming I would be on records somewhere and have proof that my mother was a canadian citizen at the time of my birth.

It seems they ask for the police report up front which seems silly as I don't see everything being processed within 6 month and will no doubt have to provide another one.

I will get my own passport sorted and then start the process of PR for my husband. I will have a look and see if that programme is still running allowing him to work in the meantime which would mean we could bring the move forward.
The police check needs to submitted at the time of application; it's valid for a year once received. Your o/h will also need to have an up front medical and submit proof of undertaking as well.

Have a good read of the wiki articles - they are really, really helpful with making an application to sponsor a spouse!

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...hip-Canada/FAQ

First step, get your Citizenship proof done and then you can get down to the spousal sponsorship!

Old Aug 22nd 2016, 12:55 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Siouxie beat me to posting the relevant links. The wiki article and FAQ tell you pretty well everything you need to know about filing your application. There's a ton of detail, but it answers pretty well all your questions.

Have a read through and then post back any additional questions.

First step is definitely sorting out your proof of Canadian citizenship, as you'll need that for your portion of the application. Once you have that in hand then you can apply for your husband's PR. Expect it to take around 11 months from the time you file the application.

HTH!
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that the article was good to read and answered my questions but I'm sure I will have a few more once things get started 😊

Planning on getting my stuff sent off this week and get the ball rolling with my certificate/passport.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 6:49 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that the article was good to read and answered my questions but I'm sure I will have a few more once things get started 😊

Planning on getting my stuff sent off this week and get the ball rolling with my certificate/passport.
For sure you will have questions, but at least the wiki and FAQ get you a lot of the way there. Once you start putting your app together you'l have some specific questions that the wiki/FAQ can't answer, post back with those.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goneforgood
Do you not have either your citizenship card or expired passport? I had both, so I'm not sure if this is going to slow you down when renewing your passport if you don't have them.
An expired passport is only useful if it has been expired for less than a year in which case the application is a passport renewal rather than a completely new application.