Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Dual citizenship passport requirements

Dual citizenship passport requirements

Old Jan 13th 2019, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

sarahjanew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual citizenship passport requirements

I'm technically a dual national, but only ever had a British passport. I'm currently applying for my first Canadian passport with the aim to relocate at some point in the next 12-18 months. I was born in Ontario, but left as a baby and I've never been back since - my parents are both British. I'm hoping to take a trip over in maybe 3 months or so, but I can't find any clear information on how long I need to have had my Canadian passport for to then travel on it. Does anyone know??

Also, any further advice from anyone in a similar position of relocating as a dual citizen is appreciated. Someone I know mentioned having to get a work visa but surely I wouldn't need that as a citizen? My assumption is that, as a citizen, relocating should be minimally more complicated (in terms of job and somewhere to live) than relocating somewhere in the UK (which I've done a lot)?

Thanks
Old Jan 13th 2019, 2:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizenship passport requirements

Originally Posted by sarahjanew
I'm technically a dual national, but only ever had a British passport. I'm currently applying for my first Canadian passport with the aim to relocate at some point in the next 12-18 months. I was born in Ontario, but left as a baby and I've never been back since - my parents are both British. I'm hoping to take a trip over in maybe 3 months or so, but I can't find any clear information on how long I need to have had my Canadian passport for to then travel on it. Does anyone know??

Also, any further advice from anyone in a similar position of relocating as a dual citizen is appreciated. Someone I know mentioned having to get a work visa but surely I wouldn't need that as a citizen? My assumption is that, as a citizen, relocating should be minimally more complicated (in terms of job and somewhere to live) than relocating somewhere in the UK (which I've done a lot)?

Thanks
You don't need a visa and it's not complicated. I suppose you'll have to get a SIN but that's less trouble than a driving license. You must use a Canadian passport to enter Canada, something which seems like a pita governmental cash grab but it is what it is. Otherwise you can travel on either.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I think that person must have been confused because I knew that wouldn't have been right! Ah yes, I forgot about SIN type things.

Do I need to have had my passport for a certain length of time before I travel on it though?
Old Jan 13th 2019, 3:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I think that person must have been confused because I knew that wouldn't have been right! Ah yes, I forgot about SIN type things.

Do I need to have had my passport for a certain length of time before I travel on it though?
No. A visitor to Canada earlier this year, one of my children who's circumstances are similar to yours, was caught out by the sudden need for a Canadian passport. She had it delivered to the airport, picked it up at check in and flew.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Oh wow, talk about last minute! That's great though, thanks
Old Jan 13th 2019, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
As has already been said.

My 'kids' are in a similar position to you.

Once you have your Canadian passport, just get a plane to Canada and hand over your Canadian passport (you MUST travel to Canada on your Canadian passport, keep your British one safely packed away - you won't be needing it!) - by all means if / when you take a trip back to the UK, flash them your UK passport at the destination British airport and use the 'British nationals only' line which is normally faster. If they say 'what is the purpose of your visit', you can simply say 'I am returning to Canada for good' (or whatever). That's it, you are in as you are a Canadian citizen already.

All you then need to work is to get a SIN number - Just turn up at a Services Canada office, explain you are now returning to Canada for good, but as you left when you were a baby, you don't have a SIN - can you have one please. Hand over your passport and they will issue one there and then. Remember, you ARE a Canadian citizen (although you won't feel like one!) - the 'dual citizenship' is neither here nor there, other than that you have the huge advantage of being able to be British when you want or Canadian when you want - you are a citizen of both countries and can choose to live in either.

No amount of time you have to have held a Canadian passport.

You should also consider your 'goods accompanying / goods to follow' lists as you will need to get these stamped by CBSA when you land for good in Canada (for stuff you are brining with you). State this to the guy who checks your passport and he will direct you to another line / desk for this. See here for information and examples.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada

You will also need to convert your UK driving licence and sort out your provincial medical coverage. Depending on which province you settle in will depend on whether you get immediate medical cover or have to wait 3 months (and would be wise to get interim private coverage for the gap.

See here for driving:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Driver%27s_Licence-Canada

And here for medical:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medical_Insurance-Canada

Last edited by Hurlabrick; Jan 13th 2019 at 5:15 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for all that, really useful. I'm planning on at least one visiting trip this year, I'll see if I can get my SIN number then so it's sorted before I relocate (unless they require a Canadian home address or something to do that).

And thanks for the advice about medical coverage, probably wouldn't have crossed my mind (despite the current state of the NHS, it really is glorious) - Ontario has a 3 month waiting period so I'll definitely look into that.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 5:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick

Once you have your Canadian passport, just get a plane to Canada and hand over your Canadian passport (you MUST travel to Canada on your Canadian passport, keep your British one safely packed away - you won't be needing it!)
Surely no one actually does this. The reason the new passport rules are a hassle is that few travellers from and to Canada routinely use their Canadian passport when they're somewhere else (other than the US); they still have their real nationality and generally use that.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Surely no one actually does this. The reason the new passport rules are a hassle is that few travellers from and to Canada routinely use their Canadian passport when they're somewhere else (other than the US); they still have their real nationality and generally use that.
What I was trying to say is not to confuse the poor dears at the Canadian border by talking about dual nationality and flashing two passports around, all they will need is the Canadian passport.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks so much for all that, really useful. I'm planning on at least one visiting trip this year, I'll see if I can get my SIN number then so it's sorted before I relocate (unless they require a Canadian home address or something to do that).

And thanks for the advice about medical coverage, probably wouldn't have crossed my mind (despite the current state of the NHS, it really is glorious) - Ontario has a 3 month waiting period so I'll definitely look into that.
It would be sensible to sort your SIN number and probably a Canadian bank account out on your visit trip so they are all in place and ready to accept cash transfers form the UK for when you want to move for good.

Services Canada can issue SIN without a Canadian address, but they do ask for an address. They struggled with a non-Canadian address, so we used my cousin's address in Canada as a c/o and they were quite happy. Same with the bank account. Get the SIN before the bank account as they normally ask for the SIN as part of opening your account (although again, not essential).
Old Jan 13th 2019, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

What I was trying to say is not to confuse the poor dears at the Canadian border by talking about dual nationality and flashing two passports around, all they will need is the Canadian passport.
we. confuse the poor dears on a regular basis coming across the border as Canadian PR’s, travelling on our Australian passports (they are the only ones we bothered renewing) but talking in our Scottish accents.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 10:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Oh agreed, at any border one always to be a simple case.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You don't need a visa and it's not complicated. I suppose you'll have to get a SIN but that's less trouble than a driving license. You must use a Canadian passport to enter Canada, something which seems like a pita governmental cash grab but it is what it is. Otherwise you can travel on either.
She needs a Canadian passport if she wants to fly to Canada but she could actually fly to the US on a British passport and then enter Canada at a land crossing with the British passport.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Oh that's interesting. I got to New York semi-regularly and was planning a border crossing there. Good to know I could use either in that situation. However, I had read that you do need to fly on your Canadian passport which I planned to do anyway
Old Jan 14th 2019, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that's interesting. I got to New York semi-regularly and was planning a border crossing there. Good to know I could use either in that situation. However, I had read that you do need to fly on your Canadian passport which I planned to do anyway
This page will give you the information you need about entering Canada as a dual citizen:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...it-canada.html