Dual Citizenship

Old Feb 16th 2012, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

richard.pattern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dual Citizenship

Originally Posted by JB0591
Your PR is valid provide you meet the minimum residency requirement...http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...gations-Canada ..as in two years in Canada out of five. When you move over in 2012 then you will be at the edge of this period, for example... if you landed in June 2009 and you move in August 2012 then I think you might get refused. Do you have your PR card? Your PR card is valid for 5 years and you apply for a new one before it runs out.
So just to be clear, my PR expires in December 2014. If I move to Canada somewhere around September 2012 and remain there continuously I am eligible to renew my PR and then if I stay for one more year I can apply for Citizenship which is in 2013? Plus do I have to stay there 3 out of 4 years or 3 out of 5 years?
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richard.pattern
So just to be clear, my PR expires in December 2014. If I move to Canada somewhere around September 2012 and remain there continuously I am eligible to renew my PR and then if I stay for one more year I can apply for Citizenship which is in 2013? Plus do I have to stay there 3 out of 4 years or 3 out of 5 years?
Yes, you would maintain your PR status in that situation - but do you really want to not be able to leave Canada at all? Seems to be a bit risky to me, what if you have a family emergency or funeral you have to return to the UK for? You'd be cutting it fine, the normal advice is to give yourself 6 months or so leeway in case you need to leave Canada for any reason, or even just so you can go shopping over the border to the US!

Not sure of your calculations for citizenship though, you're saying you would apply in 2013 but I can't see how you'd be eligible if you only moved to Canada in 2012 - you have to have lived in Canada for at least 3 years before you can apply, not just been a PR of Canada.

So if you moved in 2012, you'd be eligible to apply for citizenship in 2015 (assuming you spent the full three years living in Canada of course). It is currently taking around a year to get citizenship after applying, so jif you applied in 2015 you'd probably become a citizen sometime in 2016.

And it's living in Canada for 2 years out of every 5 for PR status (unless accompanying a Canadian spouse or working for a Canadian company, as in the Wiki article), and 3 years living in Canada out of the previous 4 for citizenship.

HTH.

Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Having just re-read your previous posts, I'm confused - you say in this one that your PR expires in December 2014, but in others that it's August 2014. Which is it? If it's August 2014 (i.e. you landed August 2009), then you can't go in September 2012, as that wouldn't give you enough time in Canada to maintain your PR status - unless you've spent other time there since you landed of course, but from what you've said previously about landing on 4th August and then returning to the UK to get married, it doesn't seem that's the case.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Right - it looks like they now have to apply to retain German citizenship before the age of 23 (but that they don't actually have to choose anymore).
Isn't that what I said first time round?
Old Feb 16th 2012, 5:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

So just to be clear, my PR expires in December 2014. If I move to Canada somewhere around September 2012 and remain there continuously I am eligible to renew my PR
Yes.

and then if I stay for one more year I can apply for Citizenship which is in 2013? Plus do I have to stay there 3 out of 4 years or 3 out of 5 years?
Er, no, I think you've made a typo there, it would be 2015 - and it's three years total out of four years.

Based on my own experience and what people have said on here, it is pretty critical to keep a good accounting of your absences from Canada in the four-year period prior to applying for citizenship. The application form asks for a list and they do check in a rather sloppy manner (stamps in your passport mainly), although the CIC is tightening up on the checks (cross checking with CBSA) because of several cases of fraud.

When I went to my test the girl in front of me caused some confusion because she didn't have a passport, only a NEXUS card as she was American. So no stamps to check, they basically had to take her word for it. (Although I'm not sure what stamping they do of US passports anyway.)
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

richard.pattern is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Yes, 2015 for citizenship assuming no further absences, but be aware that the process of getting citizenship itself now takes over a year to complete once you apply.

In the mean time you will have to apply for a new PR card, and have some evidence that you meet the required two years out of five residency.

Dont wait too long to move over, as JB points out, if its three years since you landed you wont be able to meet the 2 out of 5 requirement when you return, and a sharp IO might create problems.

Ok, my original questions have got diluted due to so many answers, just need to clarify some stuff

1. To meet citizenship do I need to stay 3 out of 4 or 3 out of 5 years?

2. If I work for a Canadian company and as part of the job if I have to travel out of Canada for work will the days I am out be counted as days I have been in Canada to meet my PR/Citizenship requirements?

3. My PR runs out in two years and once it does (providing I meet the requirements to apply for a new PR) I will apply for a renewal. Then if I stay three years (2 on the previous PR 1 year on the new PR) I assume I can apply for citizenship?
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

1. To meet citizenship do I need to stay 3 out of 4 or 3 out of 5 years?
This was answered in post no. 5 above.

2. If I work for a Canadian company and as part of the job if I have to travel out of Canada for work will the days I am out be counted as days I have been in Canada to meet my PR/Citizenship requirements?
See the link given in post no. 8 above.

3. My PR runs out in two years and once it does (providing I meet the requirements to apply for a new PR) I will apply for a renewal. Then if I stay three years (2 on the previous PR 1 year on the new PR) I assume I can apply for citizenship?
Yes, then it will take around a year to get after you've applied.

Did you see my question in post no. 18? If you can clarify exactly when you landed and how much time you've spent in Canada since, then hopefully we can help you with accurate advice.