Dual Citizenship

Old Jul 5th 2011, 6:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship

Originally Posted by bewillow
You can not send the form to the UK from Canada. They will cash your cheque and send back the stuff unprocessed. But you can renew while in the UK...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...tion/DG_183772
When I was last in the UK 12 months ago I picked up the form. I was only there a couple of weeks so would have had to go in person. The website says you can do it by mail if you are going to be in country for at least 3 weeks.

The way I read the form at the time, If I put down my dads address and signed the form I would have been signing a false statement because that isnt my residential address, but if you are there long enough I guess you can do it by mail. For most people I suspect that if they work in Canada the wont find three weeks for a trip home.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

On the other hand, if you just want the passport renewed but are actually traveling on your Canadian passport, then it does not matter if it takes 3 weeks and then sits with your parents in parent's Cambridge house for 6 months before they bring it with them on the Christmas visit... or something similar...

Also note that if you renew your passport early, up to 9 months of remaining validity gets added to the new passport. So the new one can be valid for 10years+9months.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewillow
On the other hand, if you just want the passport renewed but are actually traveling on your Canadian passport, then it does not matter if it takes 3 weeks and then sits with your parents in parent's Cambridge house for 6 months before they bring it with them on the Christmas visit... or something similar...
Except that you are signing a false declaration...
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

If you are there at the time you send the passport renewal, then I suspect that is your residential address for the purposes of the application. I would certainly not be particularly worried about being prosecuted, especially with a saved printout of the government web site...