Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen Wishing to Live in Canada

Dual Citizen Wishing to Live in Canada

Old May 21st 2015, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Shogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to behold
Default Dual Citizen Wishing to Live in Canada

Hi,

I possess both UK and Canadian citizenship, I have lived in the UK my entire life however I want to live in Canada for a bit now I have graduated University.

My question is, what steps do I need to take to actually move to another country even though I am a citizen? Do I need to let the UK know? What do I need to organise before my flight etc?

Thanks
Old May 21st 2015, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizen Wishing to Live in Canada

Originally Posted by Shogan
Hi,

I possess both UK and Canadian citizenship, I have lived in the UK my entire life however I want to live in Canada for a bit now I have graduated University.

My question is, what steps do I need to take to actually move to another country even though I am a citizen? Do I need to let the UK know? What do I need to organise before my flight etc?

Thanks
What proof of Canadian citizenship do you have?
Old May 21st 2015, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Shogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to beholdShogan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What proof of Canadian citizenship do you have?
My Mother is a citizen through naturalisation and that has been passed down to me even though I was born and have lived in the UK my entire life. I have a Canadian Citizenship Certificate and SIN Number, haven't sorted my passport yet.
Old May 21st 2015, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My Mother is a citizen through naturalisation and that has been passed down to me even though I was born and have lived in the UK my entire life. I have a Canadian Citizenship Certificate and SIN Number, haven't sorted my passport yet.
On the Canadian end there is nothing to do but show up to Canada. You don't even need a Canadian passport just show the UK one with your citizenship certificate and voila Welcome to Canada.
No idea about the UK end.
Old May 21st 2015, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

On the Canadian end there is nothing to do but show up to Canada. You don't even need a Canadian passport just show the UK one with your citizenship certificate and voila Welcome to Canada.
No idea about the UK end.
Seriously?! What and at customs I just say 'oh I've decided to live in Canada now'

Then I'm guessing the first thing will be to sort out a bank account once landed haha.

Im going to Toronto by the way if that makes any difference.
Old May 22nd 2015, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Seriously?! What and at customs I just say 'oh I've decided to live in Canada now'

Then I'm guessing the first thing will be to sort out a bank account once landed haha.

Seriously. You just tell Customs you are a Canadian citizen. If you have goods to follow then have a duplicate list to provide them.
Going to Toronto makes no difference though be prepared for high house prices and a willingness to support shite sports teams a la the Maple Leafs and Toronto FC.
Old May 22nd 2015, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Seriously. You just tell Customs you are a Canadian citizen. If you have goods to follow then have a duplicate list to provide them.
Going to Toronto makes no difference though be prepared for high house prices and a willingness to support shite sports teams a la the Maple Leafs and Toronto FC.
Haha, I'm already a fan of the Raptors for the past 15 years. Im prepared.
Old May 22nd 2015, 1:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Of course! You're a Canadian. It works the same both ways, you can enter either the UK or Canada and stay anytime you like as you're a citizen of each country.

Have a look at the Wiki for info on what to do when leaving the UK, iirc you should file a form P85 to HMRC, but I think that's pretty much it.

HTH.
Old May 22nd 2015, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.

If you're going to live in Canada, I suggest you obtain a Canadian passport asap. It makes it easier to prove your Canadian citizenship. For example, should you be questioned by the airline about travelling to Canada on a one way ticket, a Canadian citizenship cert is not a travel document and the airline is under no obligation to accept it as proof of your right to live in Canada. A Canadian passport will also make travel to the US much easier than travelling on a UK passport.

It doesn't.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 22nd 2015 at 1:47 am.
Old May 22nd 2015, 2:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
If you are moving out of the UK, just make sure you tell HMRC and the DWP.