driving in canada

Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: lived in southampton, but now live in Milton Ontario.
peterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura about
Default driving in canada

Hi there
I know it`s jumping ahead abit, but what happens about changing your driving licence when you land , what sort of test do you have to take ?
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: driving in canada

It depends upon where you decide to live. If you live in Alberta, for example, your UK driving licence can be exchanged for an AB one. But, we live in BC and there is no agreement. So, we had to sit the theory test and then the road test. Most people seem to pass these. A word of warning, if you fail your road test, they take your UK licence off you and you aren't allowed to drive.

Originally Posted by peterroulston
Hi there
I know it`s jumping ahead abit, but what happens about changing your driving licence when you land , what sort of test do you have to take ?
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

I should have added that if you fail they give you a Canadian provisional licence instead. That way you can still drive provided you have someone qualified in with you. This is why I did my teat first and my husband didn't take his until we knew I had passed. The thought of no one being to drive ?(if we had both failed) was horrendous :scared:

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
It depends upon where you decide to live. If you live in Alberta, for example, your UK driving licence can be exchanged for an AB one. But, we live in BC and there is no agreement. So, we had to sit the theory test and then the road test. Most people seem to pass these. A word of warning, if you fail your road test, they take your UK licence off you and you aren't allowed to drive.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

kbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant future

In Ontario you can swap UK licence for Ontario licence for a fee.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

RAVI10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kbryant
In Ontario you can swap UK licence for Ontario licence for a fee.
how much is it?
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RAVI10
how much is it?
Anyone know how long it takes in Alberta? Happy to trade in the UK one, but will definately need an Alberta one quickly!

Rob
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

I should imagine that when they take your UK licence off you they'll give you a temporary paper one that is valid until your plastic licence arrives (that is what they do in BC when you pass your test). Unlike the UK you need to carry it on you in case you are stopped.

Originally Posted by rabrol
Anyone know how long it takes in Alberta? Happy to trade in the UK one, but will definately need an Alberta one quickly!

Rob
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RAVI10
how much is it?
75 CAD. 5yr validity.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 12:55 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabrol
Probabaly a week or so processing time, any Albertans want to clarify ?
BC licences valid two years for first licence five years after that.

Rich.