Driver's License

Old Aug 27th 2005, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

agra will become famous soon enoughagra will become famous soon enough
Default Driver's License

While waiting for Permanent Residency after Approval in Principle was received, I applied and got a Work Permit that is valid for one year. Can I now apply for a Driver's License with the issuance of Work Permit? My job might require some driving that is why.

Thanks.

agra
Old Aug 27th 2005, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

ben1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driver's License

You can get a driver's license without pr or anything else.

All you have to be is present in Canada with a US or Europe license that is recognised. (If not you'll have to do the driving test).

If you have a UK or US license you can go down to the driving agency, stand in line for an hour, they test your eyesight and then give you a new Canada license (they will take your old US or UK one away).

As I say you don't have to have pr or a work permit for this (you could do it on a six month entry visa)
Old Aug 27th 2005, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

robwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the rough

I dont like the idea of them taking my UK licence away when I apply for Canadian licence.
Why cant you keep it ?

Originally Posted by ben1970
You can get a driver's license without pr or anything else.

All you have to be is present in Canada with a US or Europe license that is recognised. (If not you'll have to do the driving test).

If you have a UK or US license you can go down to the driving agency, stand in line for an hour, they test your eyesight and then give you a new Canada license (they will take your old US or UK one away).

As I say you don't have to have pr or a work permit for this (you could do it on a six month entry visa)
Old Aug 27th 2005, 5:32 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by robwrx
I dont like the idea of them taking my UK licence away when I apply for Canadian licence.
Why cant you keep it ?
Because you are supposed to have only 1 valid license at a time. Example lets say you have 2 or 3 and your Canadian one's suspended, you would just drive on your other one.

PMM
Old Aug 27th 2005, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

robwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the roughrobwrx is a jewel in the rough

Hiya
Yes, I agree and thats fair comment.
So will the Canadian licence be valid for visits to UK or elsewhere?

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Because you are supposed to have only 1 valid license at a time. Example lets say you have 2 or 3 and your Canadian one's suspended, you would just drive on your other one.

PMM
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

I have just passed my BC driving test and they gave me my UK licence back. They take your UK licence off you just before you start the road test. On the off chance you fail, they would give you a BC provisional licence and retain your UK licence. This is because if you aren't up to a standard to pass their road test, they wont let you drive unaccompanied. Once you pass the road test you get your UK licence back (or so they told me).

They also went to great lengths to explain that now you have a valid BC licence, you must carry that around and not the UK one. The UK one is no longer valid to drive in Canada because you have a Canadian licence. I was told to file it away.

It seems to vary a lot from province to province.

Louise

Originally Posted by robwrx
Hiya
Yes, I agree and thats fair comment.
So will the Canadian licence be valid for visits to UK or elsewhere?
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by agra
While waiting for Permanent Residency after Approval in Principle was received, I applied and got a Work Permit that is valid for one year. Can I now apply for a Driver's License with the issuance of Work Permit? My job might require some driving that is why.

Thanks.

agra
You do not state which province you will reside?
Each province is slightly different!
I can tell you SK,ON and NB do a straight swap instantly at their "driving examination" offices. Others provinces want re examination for their licences.
You will find most provinces state that UK licences are valid for 6 months max. each time you enter Canada. It`s important to note the main reason to trade asap is so as not to pay "boy-racer" rates.
In NB it costs around £60, they give like for like car licence, take photo and add it to the card there and then and you swap and walk!
In theory once you enter Canada, you can begin the swap process right away, regardless of visa in passport!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

In BC you have to have your PR card before they will let you sit the theory test (and you have to do this before you do the road test). I went in armed with passport, visa and proof of PR document, UK licence and birth certificate and they sent me away and told me to come back when I had my PR card. In BC it costs $15 for the theory test, $50 for the road test and $31 for a BC driving licence.

In BC your UK licence is valid to driving for 90 days. After that time you have to have passed both your tests.

Like Steve said, it is hard to help when we don't know where you are landing.

Louise

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
You do not state which province you will reside?
Each province is slightly different!
I can tell you SK,ON and NB do a straight swap instantly at their "driving examination" offices. Others provinces want re examination for their licences.
You will find most provinces state that UK licences are valid for 6 months max. each time you enter Canada. It`s important to note the main reason to trade asap is so as not to pay "boy-racer" rates.
In NB it costs around £60, they give like for like car licence, take photo and add it to the card there and then and you swap and walk!
In theory once you enter Canada, you can begin the swap process right away, regardless of visa in passport!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 12:43 am
Just Joined

agra will become famous soon enoughagra will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
In BC you have to have your PR card before they will let you sit the theory test (and you have to do this before you do the road test). I went in armed with passport, visa and proof of PR document, UK licence and birth certificate and they sent me away and told me to come back when I had my PR card. In BC it costs $15 for the theory test, $50 for the road test and $31 for a BC driving licence.

In BC your UK licence is valid to driving for 90 days. After that time you have to have passed both your tests.

Like Steve said, it is hard to help when we don't know where you are landing.

Louise

Thanks to all of you guys for responding to this thread. A lot of things got cleared.
agra
Old Aug 28th 2005, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
In BC you have to have your PR card before they will let you sit the theory test (and you have to do this before you do the road test).
From what I understand, you can write the Knowledge test and take the BC driver's road test before obtaining PR status. Here are the primary & secondary ID's required to be produced when applying, renewing or replacing your DL ...

Primary:
Canadian Birth Certificate (A baptismal certificate is not acceptable.)
B.C. Identification card (digital style only. May not be expired more than 3 years)
B.C. driver's licence (digital style only. May not be expired more than 3 years)
Canadian Citizenship identification
Identity Card (issued by the federal Department of Foreign Affairs & International Trade to foreign representatives accredited to Canada and eligible members of their family)
Certain documents issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. These documents may not be expired:
Permanent Residency Card or Record of Landing
Study Permit
Work Permit
Visitor Permit
Temporary Resident Permit
Returning Resident Permit

Secondary:
Passport
Foreign Birth certificate (A baptismal certificate is not acceptable.)
Canadian or U.S. driver's licence
Naturalisation certificate
Canadian Forces identification
Police identification
Identity Card (issued by the federal Department of Foreign Affairs & International Trade to foreign representatives accredited to Canada and eligible members of their family)
School ID Card (Student card)
Bank Card (only if applicant's name is on card)
Credit Card (only if applicant's name is on card)
Vehicle Registration
Picture Employee ID Card
Firearms Acquisition Certificate
Social Insurance Card (New style without signature strip not acceptable)
BC CareCard
Native Status Card
Parole Certificate ID
Correctional Service Conditional Release Card

Oggy
Old Aug 28th 2005, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

That is what I understood too. I even showed to people at ICBC the list in the back of the book and they wouldn't accept any of my landing documents as primary ID. They said that it had changed and the book hadn't been updated. The only proof of landing they would have accepted was if I had a proper letter from immigration with all my details on it, signed and sealed. Not the back copy of a computer generated form! I was cheeky I actually went in twice and tried, thinking the first time that maybe I'd just got a crabby women, but I got sent away the second time too ;-)

I think the main problem this time of year is getting a road test appointment. They are booked up until the middle of October now. I keep ringing up to try and get my husband a cancellation for when he gets here in 3 weeks. No luck so far!

Louise

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
From what I understand, you can write the Knowledge test and take the BC driver's road test before obtaining PR status. Here are the primary & secondary ID's required to be produced when applying, renewing or replacing your DL ...

Primary:
Canadian Birth Certificate (A baptismal certificate is not acceptable.)
B.C. Identification card (digital style only. May not be expired more than 3 years)
B.C. driver's licence (digital style only. May not be expired more than 3 years)
Canadian Citizenship identification
Certain documents issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. These documents may not be expired:
Permanent Residency Card or Record of Landing
Study Permit
Work Permit
Visitor Permit
Temporary Resident Permit
Returning Resident Permit

Secondary:
Passport
Foreign Birth certificate (A baptismal certificate is not acceptable.)
Canadian or U.S. driver's licence
Naturalisation certificate
Canadian Forces identification
Police identification
School ID Card (Student card)
Bank Card (only if applicant's name is on card)
Credit Card (only if applicant's name is on card)
Vehicle Registration
Picture Employee ID Card
Firearms Acquisition Certificate
Social Insurance Card (New style without signature strip not acceptable)
BC CareCard
Native Status Card
Parole Certificate ID
Correctional Service Conditional Release Card

Oggy
Old Aug 28th 2005, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Colsgirl

If I'm correct, you came into Canada from overseas and became a PR upon landing? In that case you would become a resident of BC and would have 3 months (90 days) in which to get your BC driver's licence. Unfortunately, the required documents list doesn't include the copy of the PR as a primary document and I think that's where you got caught in limbo.

If you have come to Canada on a visitor's permit, and then apply for PR from within Canada, you would have 6 months to obtain your driver's licence. It's kind of a gray area, because you are a resident of BC and ICBC may see it as such ... but it could be argued that as far as the Canadian government is concerned... you are only visiting. If you are in this situation, my previous post would apply.

Driver's Services (where you get your licence) usually is booked up heavily, especially during the summer months. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't call when they decide to cancel the appointment, so others end up having to wait long periods of time. Although, that may change, as now if you don't call to cancel, you will be charged for it! Might help thin out the appointment times!!

Hope luck is with you and you get a cancellation for hubby!

Oggy