Drink Driving and PR application

Old Sep 7th 2016, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drink Driving and PR application

Hi

Im in the early stages of looking at coming to Canada and would be me who is getting a job/ work permit then sponsoring my wife and my son and stepson

I casually looked at drink driving and visa applications and was a little taken aback as Canada seem to have a fairly hard line on this - my wife has one from several years back before we met

Am I right in thinking she would be denied PR on this basis regardless of when the conviction was ? It looks like we could apply for a rehabilitation for the conviction?

Would appreciate any advice on how we move forwards - we have a 2 year timescale on our plans at present
Old Sep 7th 2016, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drink Driving and PR application

Originally Posted by Richb1970
Hi

Im in the early stages of looking at coming to Canada and would be me who is getting a job/ work permit then sponsoring my wife and my son and stepson

I casually looked at drink driving and visa applications and was a little taken aback as Canada seem to have a fairly hard line on this - my wife has one from several years back before we met

Am I right in thinking she would be denied PR on this basis regardless of when the conviction was ? It looks like we could apply for a rehabilitation for the conviction?

Would appreciate any advice on how we move forwards - we have a 2 year timescale on our plans at present
What was her sentence? To be eligible for rehabilitation 5 years must have passed since the sentence was completed in full. For deemed rehabilitation then its 10 yrs since the completion of the sentence. More info needed on what the sentence was.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 3:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Canada seem to have a fairly hard line on this
Not hard enough!
Old Sep 7th 2016, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What was her sentence? To be eligible for rehabilitation 5 years must have passed since the sentence was completed in full. For deemed rehabilitation then its 10 yrs since the completion of the sentence. More info needed on what the sentence was.
Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure it was around 8 years ago with a 9-12 month driving ban. I will get specifics off her later as I'm working away this week
Old Sep 7th 2016, 10:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure it was around 8 years ago with a 9-12 month driving ban. I will get specifics off her later as I'm working away this week
So she'll need criminal rehab (even to enter Canada just for a holiday), it can take up to a year so do factor that in to your timescales.

Just to correct your first post, you wouldn't be 'sponsoring' your wife and children, they'd just go on the same application as you as your dependents. You'll need permission to remove your stepson from UK jurisdiction from his father, or a court order to that effect, so that's another thing to get lined up before you start job hunting.

HTH.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So she'll need criminal rehab (even to enter Canada just for a holiday), it can take up to a year so do factor that in to your timescales.

Just to correct your first post, you wouldn't be 'sponsoring' your wife and children, they'd just go on the same application as you as your dependents. You'll need permission to remove your stepson from UK jurisdiction from his father, or a court order to that effect, so that's another thing to get lined up before you start job hunting.

HTH.
Thanks for that - stepson will be 16 when we head out and his dad has said he is upset but OK with him coming. We best crack on with the rehab as we had planned to come over next summer for a holiday!
Old Sep 7th 2016, 10:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - stepson will be 16 when we head out and his dad has said he is upset but OK with him coming.
That's good, and he's young enough to be able to go as a dependent on your application. Just make sure that you apply for PR before he turns 19, and you'll need the dad's written permission rather than just verbal so might be worth getting that now in case he changes his mind.

And one other thing to mention with a 16 year old is that he won't be able to work at all if you're on a TWP, so do apply for PR as soon as you are able, we've seen before on the forum many a fed up teenager that doesn't like not being able to even do a Saturday job or babysit to earn extra cash!

We best crack on with the rehab as we had planned to come over next summer for a holiday!
Yep! It's usually much quicker than the year, but it can take that long sometimes, so best to get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Just to update this thread.

We applied for criminal rehab and took several weeks to get all the certificates in.

Submitted them to London and we heard back within days that we had the wrong Police certificate (Doh!)

Got the correct one and had an email back within two weeks that application was successful!

So we seem OK for our holiday next summer to see if we want to move over but overall the process was pretty easy and much much swifter than I had thought