Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

drink driving convictions/skilled migration

drink driving convictions/skilled migration

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: drink driving convictions/skilled migration

Originally Posted by mojovibe
That looks so sore mate, I hope its better or getting better now. And I hope this thread doesn't end up like the one I was posting on the other day. It must have a terrible ordeal going through a trauma like that. That driver must have known they were well over the limit to cause a "smash" and a "loss" like that. Or if they only had a pint and got involved in an "accident," they woud probably wish they hadn't have had that pint. But I doubt if it was an accident, they must have been well blathered to have caused that kind of harm to you and aso get 15 years for it. They will have plenty of time to think about their mistake, and hopefuy the harm they have caused you.

Digressing slightly

I was banned for 12 months quite sometime ago for being over the limit because I had 4 shandies, equivalent to 2 pints. I had done this for years thinking I wasn't doing anything wrong because I honestly thought you was alowed to drink and drive, as long as you wasn't drunk. But I would never drive if was going out "drinking" to get fresh or drunk, as I would call it back then. I don't even touch a drop now if I'm driving, or driving the next day. Infact I was only just marginally over the limit, but enough to be prosecuted. I would love to know if it was the first two shandies or the third or fourth that put me over? Anyway it doesn't matter now because it won't ever happen again.

Its about time they made it no alcohol whatsever if your driving, then there wouldn't be any doubt on how much that your allowed to drink, and then only the people who are "drunk" whilst they're driving would be prosecuted, and rightly so. Then the people who think its alright to have a pint on their way home, would know better not to bother and have a N.A. bevvy instead. There would be no mystery causing incriminations or potential unfairness like there is with the current ambigous law that's being enforced.

Or the current prescribed limit should bare a notice stating that it applies only to a trace found in your system resulting in the consumption of alcohol from the last twenty four hours. Instead of misleading people into thinking that they can drink and drive, but only if they take it steady and don't get blathered. And then suffering financially due to the myths of being allowed to drink and drive. The amount of people who still think its OK to drink and drive with a pint or two is quite staggering. But they won't listen to you when you tell them of your experience. They don't beleive that you can be over the limit if you just have a pint.
Are you serious or just plain stupid Its been the law for decades on what you can drink the amounts that are tollerated etc., and 4 shandies = 2 pints come on please treat us on here with some respect with a load of BS like that.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

look mate I'm not trying to be funny with you or fall out with you, and I'm sorry if I caused offence to you with my post. I sympathise with you about what happened, and I'm not trying to make fun out of your ordeal, I have absolutely no reason to.

By the way, does anybody know what the UK limit for drink driving is? Many still think its two pints, edit [or more!] as I did back then, but to me its non at all. Or at least it should be.

Last edited by mojovibe; Jun 3rd 2011 at 10:56 pm. Reason: additional text
Old Jun 4th 2011, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

None of that in BC now........You can get done for having one here.....Obviously depends on the content in your system so it is ABSOLUTELY not worth it.

On the above postings......I dont agree with drink driving at all and would rather have none than risk it.
Mojovibe, you have obviously had to learn the hard way which is unfortunate but at least you have made sensible decisions out of it which is how it should be......Unlike others who think its is acceptable to drink and drive.

For me, I couldnt live with myself if I hit someone under the influence never mind without alcohol. Even worse a child. I heard so many sad stories of people losing children through drunk drivers and I dont know how they are able to hold their head up after that.