Don't want to jump the gun

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't want to jump the gun

So advice would be gratefully appreciated at this time. I'm hoping for some clarification so i don't return to the UK for a second time with next to nothing (got to keep the sense of humour)

Anyway ..

1) Am i allowed to return to Canada with my children. We have PR status (spousal visa) but I've divorced the (Canadian) bloke who sponsored us?

2) What is the latest i can return to Canada (with the hope of getting Canadian citizenship). Our PR cards expire on 7th Jan 2014?

3) I don't have a degree or anything fancy like that but i have worked as a supervisor in retail, a banking administrator and am currently working in a outreach capacity as a information, advice and guidance worker for a local charity (IAG helping people back into employment). I spoke to my tutor as i have just completed my NVQ Level 3 and although i don't think my qualification would be recognised in Canada, the body that oversees it (can't remember the name) is globally recognised.

I am aware as i tell my client to come to the UK that you need to gain UK experience before someone takes you seriously but do i stand a good chance of finding employment .. I am more than willing to work my way up the ladder and that i will but i have noticed in Canada especially qualifications mean everything. I'm looking at Ontario .. Not necessarily at Ottawa this time round but i'm open minded. I'm considering emailing some agencies in Ontario to get some feedback, is that a wise idea?

Well i have currently reached 0.3 milestone with regards to savings, hopefully in 8 months time i'll of reached my target of £10k .. That should be enough to get us started (i hope).

I look forward to any feedback .. Thank you
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't want to jump the gun

Originally Posted by sas-lou
So advice would be gratefully appreciated at this time. I'm hoping for some clarification so i don't return to the UK for a second time with next to nothing (got to keep the sense of humour)

Anyway ..

1) Am i allowed to return to Canada with my children. We have PR status (spousal visa) but I've divorced the (Canadian) bloke who sponsored us?

2) What is the latest i can return to Canada (with the hope of getting Canadian citizenship). Our PR cards expire on 7th Jan 2014?

3) I don't have a degree or anything fancy like that but i have worked as a supervisor in retail, a banking administrator and am currently working in a outreach capacity as a information, advice and guidance worker for a local charity (IAG helping people back into employment). I spoke to my tutor as i have just completed my NVQ Level 3 and although i don't think my qualification would be recognised in Canada, the body that oversees it (can't remember the name) is globally recognised.

I am aware as i tell my client to come to the UK that you need to gain UK experience before someone takes you seriously but do i stand a good chance of finding employment .. I am more than willing to work my way up the ladder and that i will but i have noticed in Canada especially qualifications mean everything. I'm looking at Ontario .. Not necessarily at Ottawa this time round but i'm open minded. I'm considering emailing some agencies in Ontario to get some feedback, is that a wise idea?

Well i have currently reached 0.3 milestone with regards to savings, hopefully in 8 months time i'll of reached my target of £10k .. That should be enough to get us started (i hope).

I look forward to any feedback .. Thank you
The date your PR cards expire is irrelevant. How long have you spent in Canada since landing and how long have you been outside of Canada since landing?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The date your PR cards expire is irrelevant. How long have you spent in Canada since landing and how long have you been outside of Canada since landing?
Lol .. Landed 08/12/08, left 21/01/09, went back 24/02/09, came back 03/03/09 and been in the UK since.

So in total I've lived in Canada for 7 weeks and 2 days since Dec 08.

That sounds so sad.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Lol .. Landed 08/12/08, left 21/01/09, went back 24/02/09, came back 03/03/09 and been in the UK since.

That sounds so sad.
If you have PR not probs coming back. To maintain residency you have to have two years out of five in Canada (revolving) That could count from August 08 from your dates above.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:38 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

That sounds so sad.

You have to return by about Feb/2012 at the latest and remain in Canada continuously for 2 years to maintain your PR status.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you ever so much for all your advice
Old Sep 5th 2010, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

Hmmm. (evil thought ahead)...but as you were sponsored by your spouse, I'm pretty sure he's financially responsible for you for 3 years from the time of the visa being granted......

Afterall, he had to sign to that when the application was made.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:40 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Originally Posted by Kynn
Hmmm. (evil thought ahead)...but as you were sponsored by your spouse, I'm pretty sure he's financially responsible for you for 3 years from the time of the visa being granted......

Afterall, he had to sign to that when the application was made.
Not really, he would have the responsibility to repay any welfare that the OP received in the 3 years after "landing" and for the children for 10 years or the age of 25, whichever comes first. The only hold is that if welfare was received, then the ex-spouse would not be able to sponsor again until it was repaid.

Spousal and child support is something that the OP should be discussing with a lawyer.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh, i am aware he is financial responsible for a period of time

Hopefully though it won't come to that.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 1:10 am
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see your still hanging in there Sas-lou.....
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:04 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

yes me too, you go ahead and create your own life lady x
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

I plan on doing just that

Thanks guys.