Doing Freelance work on a TWP…

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Whiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant future
Default Doing Freelance work on a TWP…

Hi…
My partner and I are both in BC, he has a TWP for a construction company and I have an open work permit under the spousal programme.

Back in the UK my partner used to do freelance graphic design work and is looking to do the same thing in Canada to bring in some extra cash. Does any one know the rules and regulations on doing so with a TWP??

From what I’ve I understand a TWP ties you to an employer but we didn’t know where we would stand on him effectively having a 2nd jobs to supplement our income while still working for his employer.

If anyone has any help, experience or knowledge in this area it would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:27 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doing Freelance work on a TWP…

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Hi…
My partner and I are both in BC, he has a TWP for a construction company and I have an open work permit under the spousal programme.

Back in the UK my partner used to do freelance graphic design work and is looking to do the same thing in Canada to bring in some extra cash. Does any one know the rules and regulations on doing so with a TWP??

From what I’ve I understand a TWP ties you to an employer but we didn’t know where we would stand on him effectively having a 2nd jobs to supplement our income while still working for his employer.

If anyone has any help, experience or knowledge in this area it would be much appreciated!

Thanks
He is not allowed to do it.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Whiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant future

Hi AmyDavid,

Thanks for the quick reply, could we set up and run something in my name with me being on an open spousal permit??

Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:55 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi AmyDavid,

Thanks for the quick reply, could we set up and run something in my name with me being on an open spousal permit??

Thanks
To be honest I'm not sure. Have a look on CIC and it might explain what you can and cannot do on an open work permit.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi AmyDavid,

Thanks
If you are talking about setting up your own business then yes you can set up your own business on a SOWP - someone I know is in the process of doing this.

But...... you would not be able to pay your OH a wage or have him as an employee as he isnt allowed to have two jobs for different employers whilst on a TWP.

HTH

gaynor
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by burton bunch
If you are talking about setting up your own business then yes you can set up your own business on a SOWP - someone I know is in the process of doing this.

But...... you would not be able to pay your OH a wage or have him as an employee as he isnt allowed to have two jobs for different employers whilst on a TWP.

HTH

gaynor
Hey Gaynor,

Thats good news thanks for your help... and if i get to keep all the money all the better!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:45 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Gaynor,

Thats good news thanks for your help... and if i get to keep all the money all the better!
You need to be careful here. If it is clearly YOUR business and you are the main point of contact with customers etc and fees for work done are paid to you then you should be okay. If your OH helped you out behind the scenes from time to time and didnt receive any payment for it then that should be okay as he wouldnt be "entering the labour market" other than through his TWP for a contruction job. But he obviously couldnt be the "front man" for this business and have direct contact with customers etc.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:51 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
You need to be careful here. If it is clearly YOUR business and you are the main point of contact with customers etc and fees for work done are paid to you then you should be okay. If your OH helped you out behind the scenes from time to time and didnt receive any payment for it then that should be okay as he wouldnt be "entering the labour market" other than through his TWP for a contruction job. But he obviously couldnt be the "front man" for this business and have direct contact with customers etc.

Surely if he's the graphic designer and its a graphic design company it doesnt matter who fronts it...hes going to be the one filling the contracts and therefore is clearly working outside his permit..even if hes not paid directly he is doing work that a canadian graphic designer could be.

My advice it to wait till you get PR, then go for it. Not worth the risk otherwise.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 4th 2009 at 3:56 am.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:59 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Surely if he's the graphic designer and its a graphic design company it doesnt matter who fronts it...hes going to be the one filling the contracts and therefore is clearly working outside his permit..even if hes not paid directly he is doing work that a canadian graphic designer could be.

My advice it to wait till you get PR, then go for it. Not worth the risk otherwise.
Exactly. Like I said it would have to be her business that she operates under her work permit (with perhaps him helping out behind the scenes occassionally in an unpaid capacity).