dogs in British Columbia

Old Sep 24th 2004, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light
Default dogs in British Columbia

Hi! I just wondered if there's anyone out there that has moved to BC with a large dog (i.e. one large enough to have to travel in the hold of the plane). How did the dog cope with a long transatlantic flight (from UK) etc? Does anyone have any tips (apart from getting the dog used to a regulation airline crate well in advance)?

Also, I'd be interested to know how easy or difficult it is to find nice safe places to walk the dog off the lead. I've found web sites showing off-leash parks in cities but they seem pretty small. I have a large dog who is used to being off lead and having lots of social interaction. Also, it'd be a shame to move to a beautiful area such as BC and not be able to enjoy a nice off lead walk together. Although I do know that some parts of the Rockies are dogs on lead to protect the dogs disturbing bears etc. We hope to move to either the Columbia valley or the Okanagan so I'd particularly appreciate info on these areas.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited by h_henry; Sep 24th 2004 at 11:23 pm. Reason: add transatlantic and UK
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:32 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default Re: dogs in British Columbia

I too am worried about my dog in the hold, but she is a beagle. We are going to vancouver Island and there are plenty of wide open spaces. In our case we cannot let her off lead, as she would be off........
I noticed many places said all dogs must be on a lead at all times.
They also have to be microchipped and licenced.

We have crate trained ours from a pup, she rides in the car and even has one in the house to sleep in. It is her sanctuary. She even likes to be covered over with a blanket so it is dark. She sleeps for 12 hours a night. So i am hoping to get her on a night flight, so it will not upset her routine too much and fits in with her normal sleep cycle.
People travel all over the world for dog shows so I guessed they can't hate it too much as they seem quite perky on these dog shows!

I would try and get him used to sleeping in a cage or "crate" as soon as possible. Contrary to what some people say dogs actually like having their own space, where they feel safe and secure. it will be les traumatic if your dog knows that it is not a punishment, but somewhere they have been before, and do get let out of.

I spoke to the vet and they have said you must not sedate them as this can be dangerous, limit food and water before journey. Usually at the other end you are greated with much affection, and they look forward to their dinner, more than seeing you!!!!!!!

I am more worried about her than anything else I have to do......

Originally Posted by h_henry
Hi! I just wondered if there's anyone out there that has moved to BC with a large dog (i.e. one large enough to have to travel in the hold of the plane). How did the dog cope with a long transatlantic flight (from UK) etc? Does anyone have any tips (apart from getting the dog used to a regulation airline crate well in advance)?

Also, I'd be interested to know how easy or difficult it is to find nice safe places to walk the dog off the lead. I've found web sites showing off-leash parks in cities but they seem pretty small. I have a large dog who is used to being off lead and having lots of social interaction. Also, it'd be a shame to move to a beautiful area such as BC and not be able to enjoy a nice off lead walk together. Although I do know that some parts of the Rockies are dogs on lead to protect the dogs disturbing bears etc. We hope to move to either the Columbia valley or the Okanagan so I'd particularly appreciate info on these areas.

Thanks for any info.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:42 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gooding
I too am worried about my dog in the hold, but she is a beagle. We are going to vancouver Island and there are plenty of wide open spaces. In our case we cannot let her off lead, as she would be off........
I noticed many places said all dogs must be on a lead at all times.
They also have to be microchipped and licenced.

We have crate trained ours from a pup, she rides in the car and even has one in the house to sleep in. It is her sanctuary. She even likes to be covered over with a blanket so it is dark. She sleeps for 12 hours a night. So i am hoping to get her on a night flight, so it will not upset her routine too much and fits in with her normal sleep cycle.
People travel all over the world for dog shows so I guessed they can't hate it too much as they seem quite perky on these dog shows!

I would try and get him used to sleeping in a cage or "crate" as soon as possible. Contrary to what some people say dogs actually like having their own space, where they feel safe and secure. it will be les traumatic if your dog knows that it is not a punishment, but somewhere they have been before, and do get let out of.

I spoke to the vet and they have said you must not sedate them as this can be dangerous, limit food and water before journey. Usually at the other end you are greated with much affection, and they look forward to their dinner, more than seeing you!!!!!!!

I agree with everything you have said. Doesn't help with the worrying issue though. We are transporting our 2 dogs (collies), 1 cat and a pony and I am really concerned about the cat and one of the dogs, but I guess there is a long term gain by taking them. We are lucky though as we are only going to Toronto so a much quicker flight.......still scary! Mine have all had their sky kennels for over a year so are quite used to them and happy to go into them.

PS. All of the vets I have spoken to have advised against sedation too, as was I.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
I agree with everything you have said. Doesn't help with the worrying issue though. We are transporting our 2 dogs (collies), 1 cat and a pony and I am really concerned about the cat and one of the dogs, but I guess there is a long term gain by taking them. We are lucky though as we are only going to Toronto so a much quicker flight.......still scary! Mine have all had their sky kennels for over a year so are quite used to them and happy to go into them.

PS. All of the vets I have spoken to have advised against sedation too, as was I.
Hi

My dog was crate trained as a puppy but within a few months he had outgrown the crate (got the wrong size). I know many dogs like the security of their own dark little space so hopefully he'll get used to a new crate. Did you intentionally get your dogs used to sky kennels a year in advance or is the application taking longer than expected? I wasn't sure how long I should allow to get my dog used to the crate again. Are the sky kennels expensive?

I've also read about not sedating the dog because they don't know the effects of sedative at altitude. However, I still think that mine will worry (even if he's well used to the crate by then). Has anyone thought of using Bach flower remedies - do they work?
Old Sep 25th 2004, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Hmm, the dog is my number one worry too. I've spoke with a couple of Canadian and US people who say it should be fine. I think it won't just be the dog who needs a sedative....
Old Sep 25th 2004, 3:25 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

There are some vets that will give homeapathic remedies, and bach flower, but I do not know if they work.
I would aim to use a crate for as long as possible. Even a home made kennel, would get him used to being in a small space and could be useful later!
Also when you do go try and get a flight, that fits in will normal sleep time.
I am sure we worry more than they do. maybe an organisation like the kennel club could give information on how best to prepare them, or herbal remedies?

I've also read about not sedating the dog because they don't know the effects of sedative at altitude. However, I still think that mine will worry (even if he's well used to the crate by then). Has anyone thought of using Bach flower remedies - do they work?[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 25th 2004, 5:21 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by h_henry
Hi

My dog was crate trained as a puppy but within a few months he had outgrown the crate (got the wrong size). I know many dogs like the security of their own dark little space so hopefully he'll get used to a new crate. Did you intentionally get your dogs used to sky kennels a year in advance or is the application taking longer than expected? I wasn't sure how long I should allow to get my dog used to the crate again. Are the sky kennels expensive?

I've also read about not sedating the dog because they don't know the effects of sedative at altitude. However, I still think that mine will worry (even if he's well used to the crate by then). Has anyone thought of using Bach flower remedies - do they work?
I bought the sky kennels a year ago so that they would be very used to them before we left. I think the sooner you get them used to it the better really. I can't really remember how much my kennels were but I think they were about £100 for the 2 dog ones and £40 for the cat one.

Bach remedy is highly acclaimed in the horse world, although I admit to never having used it so I don't know.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 9:17 am
Here and happy at last

Cor, like to see the horse get in a sky kennel!!!!!!!!!!
How is the horse getting there, out of interest?

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
I bought the sky kennels a year ago so that they would be very used to them before we left. I think the sooner you get them used to it the better really. I can't really remember how much my kennels were but I think they were about £100 for the 2 dog ones and £40 for the cat one.

Bach remedy is highly acclaimed in the horse world, although I admit to never having used it so I don't know.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 9:46 am
Premium Member

Cor, like to see the horse get in a sky kennel!!!!!!!!!!
How is the horse getting there, out of interest?
LOL!!! She is flying. She goes on a 747 cargo plane, in a container similar to sky kennels believe it or not....just a bit bigger!
Old Sep 25th 2004, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

cartman is an unknown quantity at this point

We are also worried about our rather large old greyhounds going to Alberta, but after reading this i think it might be a good idea to purchase the crates now and get them used to them. I am worried about their age ones 14 and the other nearly 11, I hope it wont be too much for them. :scared:

We were going to use airpets anyone else used them?
Old Sep 25th 2004, 9:40 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by cartman
We are also worried about our rather large old greyhounds going to Alberta, but after reading this i think it might be a good idea to purchase the crates now and get them used to them. I am worried about their age ones 14 and the other nearly 11, I hope it wont be too much for them. :scared:

We were going to use airpets anyone else used them?
Yes I completely understand your anxiety, we too have an old dog and the longer Immigration takes, the older she becomes. I am not too worried about her mind you, as I think she will just sleep most of the way. She has been through a lot of changes in her life and she just takes everything in her stride. I worry about the young dog who is hyper-active and will be very scared...and my little cat. Shame they can't come inside the plane with you - I would be perfectly happy to pay for seats for them!
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

cartman is an unknown quantity at this point

So would we, except i think they would need 2 seats each??? Ohh the thought???