Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Does your spouse get an open TWP if you get one?

Does your spouse get an open TWP if you get one?

Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Lion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does your spouse get an open TWP if you get one?

Hi guys

Hope this is not a dumb question, but...

If I am issued a TWP can my spouse apply to get one immediately so she can just go out and get any 'regular' job?

Or does she still need a job offer lined up, which the employer must have offered openly and for which they could not find a more suitable Canadian applicant (i.e. the employer has to jump through hoops and so the process of getting a job becomes far more complex, making the applicant far less appealing)?

My hope is when I get my TWP, that she can get one that allows her just to walk into any job? After all she'd be living in Canada with me and so would need to work.

Or is that wishful thinking??
Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does your spouse get an open TWP if you get one?

Originally Posted by Lion Heart
Hi guys

Hope this is not a dumb question, but...

If I am issued a TWP can my spouse apply to get one immediately so she can just go out and get any 'regular' job?

Or does she still need a job offer lined up, which the employer must have offered openly and for which they could not find a more suitable Canadian applicant (i.e. the employer has to jump through hoops and so the process of getting a job becomes far more complex, making the applicant far less appealing)?

My hope is when I get my TWP, that she can get one that allows her just to walk into any job? After all she'd be living in Canada with me and so would need to work.

Or is that wishful thinking??
Basically your job has to be skill level 0, A or B on the NOC matrix. Which Province will you be working in? What is your 4 digit NOC job code e.g. 1121?
Just because you are working doesn't entitle all spouses or common law partners accompanying them to work. Are you coming on an LMO?
More details required.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 2:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Basically your job has to be skill level 0, A or B on the NOC matrix. Which Province will you be working in? What is your 4 digit NOC job code e.g. 1121?
Just because you are working doesn't entitle all spouses or common law partners accompanying them to work. Are you coming on an LMO?
More details required.
If you are a skilled worker (as indicated by FL's post above), your wife can apply for a Spousal Open Work Permit at the same time that you apply for your TWP.

If your job is semi-skilled, some Provinces have pilot projects which allow spouses to obtain an Open work permit.

You can find which Provinces/Territories have this here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/occupations.asp

If neither applies then your wife would need to find a company willing to provide an LMO as well.

Old Jan 6th 2014, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Lion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond repute

Currently I have two possibilities, depending on what happens with my business over the next few months.

Firstly would be as a Skilled Worker (Graphic Design) into Saskatchewan.

Second would be via Intra Company Transfer to Ontario, where I would be setting up a branch of my business.

Would both routes allow for a Spousal Open Work Permit?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Graphic Designer 5241 is skill level B so yes SOWP.
ICT Yes if Executive or Senior manager. Both of those are usually skill level 0.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

So essentially you can get the open spousal work permit (SOWP) provided that the job is deemed highly skilled enough, regardless of whether by PNP or ICT?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

May be worth noting that we were told the wife could get a spousal work visa as I am Heavy duty equipment tech which falls into the category that would allow this but they would not issue her with one at the border and no amount of arguing would change their minds. The reason they gave was that although I had my hours worked recognized by the govt until I had taken and passed my red seal I was still technically not qualified.