Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

does work permit cover common law partner to work too??

Wikiposts

does work permit cover common law partner to work too??

Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Crumps and Misone is an unknown quantity at this point
Question does work permit cover common law partner to work too??

HI Folks,
Can anyone shed any light on my dilemma?
I've applied for my work permit after having my LMO and a job offer come through (all of that is fine and doesn't confuse me too much!), Does my common law partner have to apply separately for an open spousal visa or does my application form cover him too?
The reason i ask is that CIC website states he's covered on my application (because he will be coming at the same time as me) but the UK link to the canadian embassy states that he will have to apply separately. Will he have to apply for a work permit once in Canada with a job offer?

Thanks in advance, Simone
Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

pete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant future
Default Re: does work permit cover common law partner to work too??

Hi

Ours was slightly different in that we came to canada and waited for the LMO. Then when it came through we went to the border and I got my work pemit and we also bought an open one for my wife.

I had a friend who did it all through London and they applied seperately for the wife's open permit.....

Pete
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:01 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does work permit cover common law partner to work too??

You each fill in an application for a temp work visa. Just put in a covering letter that your partner is applying for an open work visa on the back of your one.

From memory there might be questions about the job / employer o/h will be going to in Canada just put something like "not yet employed" in those boxes.

The people at CHC will have seen this loads so doubtless will know what to do anyway. (I know how you feel though - just want to fill everything in properly!)