Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Does this type of work experience count for FSW App?

Does this type of work experience count for FSW App?

Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:01 pm
Animal Member

FelisCattus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does this type of work experience count for FSW App?

When carrying out research towards my PhD, I was paid a stipend for 3 years by the institute where I was working - it was tax free as I was classed as a student. However, the work I was doing falls exactly under NOC2121 - microbiologist. So can I use this as my work experience for a FSW application?? Has anyone else done this?

Many thanks,

FC
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:25 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does this type of work experience count for FSW App?

Originally Posted by FelisCattus
When carrying out research towards my PhD, I was paid a stipend for 3 years by the institute where I was working - it was tax free as I was classed as a student. However, the work I was doing falls exactly under NOC2121 - microbiologist. So can I use this as my work experience for a FSW application?? Has anyone else done this?

Many thanks,

FC
You answered it yourself, you were a student, carrying out research toward your Phd.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:43 am
Animal Member

Well this is so [insert expletive] frustrating - I spend the last 10 years working my ass off doing a vet degree and a PhD and now I can't apply as a skilled worker because I've been too busy studying to acquire said skills

What's worse is I have enough points without the work experience

Grr.com........
Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is so [insert expletive] frustrating - I spend the last 10 years working my ass off doing a vet degree and a PhD and now I can't apply as a skilled worker because I've been too busy studying to acquire said skills

What's worse is I have enough points without the work experience

Grr.com........
I'm confused, why can't you apply? You say you have enough points, and you have a job offer (looking at your timeline), so why do you think you're ineligible??
Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:59 am
Animal Member

I have a job that I'm starting in September, but I'm going to have to work there for a year before I have the required 1 year's experience to apply as a FSW I'd rather do everything now because for example if I get police reports etc before I leave they'll be too old by the time I want to submit them in a year. It's just going to be much more difficult to sort out all the paperwork when I'm in Canada, plus my TWP will only be for 1 year so I'll have to renew that before I can apply as a FSW too.........sorry end of rant
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have a job that I'm starting in September, but I'm going to have to work there for a year before I have the required 1 year's experience to apply as a FSW
Eh?? Why do you think you need at least a year's work experience? You only need that if you are applying under Category 1 ('the list' of 29), if you are applying under Category 2 (arranged employment) then you don't need to have anything other than a job offer approved by HRSDC, plus the requisite points, and meet the other criteria (i.e. pass medical, no criminal record etc).

You can apply today if you want to!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:01 am
Animal Member

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm confused, why can't you apply? You say you have enough points, and you have a job offer (looking at your timeline), so why do you think you're ineligible??
Don't you have to have the minimum one year's work experience even if you have a offer of arranged employment?? I actually find that part of the FSW application guide document slightly ambiguous to read.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Don't you have to have the minimum one year's work experience even if you have a offer of arranged employment?? I actually find that part of the FSW application guide document slightly ambiguous to read.
Not that I'm aware of, I thought the only thing your work experience would count for would be points, but there's no minimum requirement if you're Cat 2?

Having said that, I applied as Cat 1, so could be completely wrong! Have a read of the Operating Manual to find out the definite answers - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op06-eng.pdf
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

.........sorry end of rant
While I can understand frustration, it is sometimes better to stand back, breath deeply and research all your options. As a PhD student you should be quite good at research, no?

As christmasoompa frequently said in other posts, there are over 50 ways to get into Canada. You seem to be hoping mad because you can't use one of those ways. More than one way to skin a cat. Really, as a vet you should know that too (sorry, couldn't resist)...

But seriously, please stop ranting and calmly look at other options.

Ray
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:14 am
Animal Member

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not that I'm aware of, I thought the only thing your work experience would count for would be points, but there's no minimum requirement if you're Cat 2?

Having said that, I applied as Cat 1, so could be completely wrong! Have a read of the Operating Manual to find out the definite answers - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op06-eng.pdf
This page of the CIC Website says

For your application to be eligible for processing, you must:

* include the results of your official language proficiency test, AND
* have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR
* have one year of continuous full-time paid work experience in at least one of the occupations listed here.

Work experience requirements

Your work experience must be:

* for at least one year, continuous, and paid (full-time or the equivalent in part-time), AND
* Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) list, AND
* within the last 10 years.

So is this saying that you need the permanent job offer AND the year's work experience or is it just describing what the work experience should be IF it's required - sorry - confused!

While the FSW guide for application says:

Your application will be placed into processing if…
1. you have at least one year of continuous full time or equivalent paid work experience in the last ten years in at least one of the occupational categories identified in the Ministerial Instructions.

Note: The list of occupations can be found on our website at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...structions.asp

NEW: A maximum of 20,000 Federal Skilled Worker applications, without an offer of arranged employment, will be considered for processing each year.
Within this limit, a maximum of 1,000 Federal Skilled Worker applications per National Occupation Classification (NOC) will be considered for processing each year.
Applications will be considered in order of the date they are received.

2 you have an offer of arranged employment in Canada. The employment offer should be:
- in writing,
- indeterminate in duration, and
- meet the arranged employment factor described in this guide.

It doesn't say 1 OR 2 here??
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:17 am
Animal Member

Originally Posted by raymasa

As christmasoompa frequently said in other posts, there are over 50 ways to get into Canada. You seem to be hoping mad because you can't use one of those ways. More than one way to skin a cat. Really, as a vet you should know that too (sorry, couldn't resist)...
LOL yes, end of tantrum. I just hope skinning a cat is not something I'll ever add to my list of accomplishments!!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

This page of the CIC Website says

* have one year of continuous full-time paid work experience in at least one of the occupations listed here.

* for at least one year, continuous, and paid (full-time or the equivalent in part-time), AND
* Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) list, AND

So is this saying that you need the permanent job offer AND the year's work experience or is it just describing what the work experience should be IF it's required - sorry - confused!

While the FSW guide for application says:

Your application will be placed into processing if…
1. you have at least one year of continuous full time or equivalent paid work experience in the last ten years in at least one of the occupational categories identified in the Ministerial Instructions.

Note: The list of occupations can be found on our website at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...structions.asp

NEW: A maximum of 20,000 Federal Skilled Worker applications, without an offer of arranged employment, will be considered for processing each year.
Within this limit, a maximum of 1,000 Federal Skilled Worker applications per National Occupation Classification (NOC) will be considered for processing each year.
Applications will be considered in order of the date they are received.

2 you have an offer of arranged employment in Canada. The employment offer should be:
- in writing,
- indeterminate in duration, and
- meet the arranged employment factor described in this guide.

It doesn't say 1 OR 2 here??
The way I read that page is that you two options:

Option 1:

* have a valid offer of arranged employment

OR

Option 2:

Seems to me, you can apply under option 1. Read the requirements for that.

Ray
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

crazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nicecrazy72 is just really nice

Slow down Guys and Gals. The order of things is as follows:

1. First comes the definition of Skilled Worker:

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/reg...Workers_261269

Skilled Workers

R75(2)(2) A foreign national is a skilled worker if

(a) within the 10 years preceding the date of their application for a permanent resident visa, they have at least one year of continuous full-time employment experience, as described in subsection 80(7), or the equivalent in continuous part-time employment in one or more occupations, other than a restricted occupation, that are listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix;

(b) during that period of employment they performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification; and

(c) during that period of employment they performed a substantial number of the main duties of the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification, including all of the essential duties.

Minimal requirements

(3) If the foreign national fails to meet the requirements of subsection (2), the application for a permanent resident visa shall be refused and no further assessment is required.

2. Second - here comes the eligibility (cat 1 or 2) as per Ministerial Instructions;

3. Third - selection criteria and pass mark;

4. Fourth - admissibility checks (medical, criminal, background/security);

You can't skip #1 above and go directly to #2.

So yes, if FelisCattus has 1 or 72+ PhD's, but no minimum skilled work experience to meet the definition of Skilled Worker then there is nothing anyone can do about it and R75(3) above applies.

If you still want to refer to this page (which is not the legal advice as per CIC's legal disclaimer):

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

then please pay attention to the following sections:

If you meet the above minimum requirements, your application will be processed according to the six selection factors in the skilled worker points grid...
<snip>

The first section above talks about minimum work experience in occupation listed in Ministerial Instructions.

The second section above states general minimum work experience requirement that has nothing to do with eligibility part (and with occupations listed in Ministerial Instructions), as it clearly says "Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) list".

There is no "OR" between the first and second section.

Additionally please always remember the CIC's disclaimer, included on their website and in every publication (instructions, application guides, etc.):

__________________________________________________ _

This is not a legal document. For legal information, refer to the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations or the
Citizenship Act and Regulations, as applicable.
__________________________________________________ _

Last edited by crazy72; Aug 5th 2010 at 9:27 am.