Does my plan sound reasonable?

Old Jun 23rd 2019, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

acrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does my plan sound reasonable?

It's time for my yearly sanity check...

The plan: Achieve PR status by January 2021

My details:

- 25 Years old
- Worked in Canada as a NOC Class B job for 22 months between July 2013 and May 2015 (ish)
- Have worked in NOC class B position(s) since 2012
- Am currently 3/4 my way through an Open University course so that I can say I have "1 years post secondary education". (Fingers crossed an ECA agrees...) It's a full time course and counts as 1 year towards a bachelors
- Bringing my significant other (unmarried) who speaks fluent english, has worked as a flight attendant since 2015 and has a bachelors in Psychology, though has never worked in Canada.

According to the CRS calculator my points (assuming I get a positive ECA) are 463 while applying with my partner.
According to my own calculations I have enough points to apply for Federal Skilled Worker program

Planned Timeline:

09/2019 - Complete university course
09/2019 - Send off ECA
10/2019 - Achieve IELTS or similar for both my girlfriend and I
11/2019 - Get all medicals done
11/2019 - Begin application process (assuming ECA arrived by now and is good news...)
[somewhere between December and January] - Receive ITA and submit remaining documents
06/2020 - After going through PPR and everything else that might happen, receive CoPR
01/2021 - Land in Canada, await PR card

Risk Assessment

Can anyone see any problem at all with my plan, aside from what is outlined in the risks/issues table?

Your help is once again most appreciated.

Last edited by acrylicus; Jun 23rd 2019 at 2:01 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 6:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does my plan sound reasonable?

What does your OH score? If she has a degree, she may score higher than you so could be the principal applicant. You say you're bringing her but you're unmarried, just checking but you live together as husband and wife and have done for a year or more? Why do you think she won't be able to work for some of the process? If she's a UK citizen she doesn't have to send her passport off. Lastly, what exactly is the qualification you're getting from OU? Just checking it's not vocational and/or professional.

I think your biggest risk is that the EE process will be scrapped between now and then. You never know what's around the corner! Remember when 'The List' of only 20 or so eligible occupations was introduced and tens of thousands that were about to apply suddenly found themselves ineligible? Or when they got rid of the backlog but returning all applications in the queue? CIC have a habit of changing things without notice, but there's no way of predicting that unfortunately.

Edit: you don't get medicals done before your ITA. And I think your timeline is optimistic if you're not applying for your ECA/IELTS until Sept. Landing in Jan 2021 is achievable though, if (and it's a big 'if') you get an ITA straight away.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 23rd 2019 at 6:38 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

acrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya - thanks for the response

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What does your OH score? If she has a degree, she may score higher than you so could be the principal applicant.
I haven't checked, but I doubt it will be higher as she has no professional work experience (cabin crew straight out of Uni), and has never worked in Canada.

You say you're bringing her but you're unmarried, just checking but you live together as husband and wife and have done for a year or more?
We are unmarried, however we have lived together for over a year in a rented flat.

Why do you think she won't be able to work for some of the process? If she's a UK citizen she doesn't have to send her passport off.
Slight spanner in the works perhaps, but she is Portuguese. She can't do her job (as Cabin Chief of an airline) without her passport, I am not 100% sure but I assumed as she is Portuguese she would have to send off her passport.

Lastly, what exactly is the qualification you're getting from OU? Just checking it's not vocational and/or professional.
I will be achieving a "Certificate of Higher Education in Computing and IT" - which counts as 1 year toward "BSc (Honours) Computing and IT"

I think your biggest risk is that the EE process will be scrapped between now and then. You never know what's around the corner! Remember when 'The List' of only 20 or so eligible occupations was introduced and tens of thousands that were about to apply suddenly found themselves ineligible? Or when they got rid of the backlog but returning all applications in the queue? CIC have a habit of changing things without notice, but there's no way of predicting that unfortunately.
I am unfortunately all too familiar with this, the reason I am writing this from the UK and not Canada is because they introduced EE while my application was IN THE MAIL!

However, I can only plan for the beast I know. Hopefully CIC doesn't ruin my plans again.

**EDIT**
Regarding your edit, given that I will apply by December 2019, I would have thought a 13 month period would be long enough to get an ITA (with 463 points) and receive my CoPR in time for Jan 2021?

Last edited by acrylicus; Jun 23rd 2019 at 7:58 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 8:28 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acrylicus
I am not 100% sure but I assumed as she is Portuguese she would have to send off her passport.
Nope, you would both just upload scans of your passports, no physical documentation involved in application process for EE.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 5:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82

Nope, you would both just upload scans of your passports, no physical documentation involved in application process for EE.
Umm not quite correct, sorry. That's the case only if they are from a visa-exempt country.. all other applicants (for EE or otherwise) have to provide the actual physical

passport to obtain the COPR - as they need a Visa (though luckily for the OP Portugal is visa exempt)
For future reference
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/procedures-finalizing-approved-applications.html
Applicants from visa-required countries

The ‘Passport Request’ letter instructs the applicant on how to send their valid passport and, if applicable, the valid passports of their accompanying spouse and dependent children.

Permanent resident visas cannot be affixed to diplomatic, official or military passports.

List of Visa-Exempt countries: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...s-country.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 24th 2019 at 5:09 am.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 11:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't checked, but I doubt it will be higher as she has no professional work experience (cabin crew straight out of Uni), and has never worked in Canada.
Flight attendant is a skilled occupation, and her degree will score far more than your Canadian work experience. So do check her score too in case she scores enough now.

Slight spanner in the works perhaps, but she is Portuguese. She can't do her job (as Cabin Chief of an airline) without her passport, I am not 100% sure but I assumed as she is Portuguese she would have to send off her passport.
You assumed wrong, as above, so no need to worry about that.

I will be achieving a "Certificate of Higher Education in Computing and IT" - which counts as 1 year toward "BSc (Honours) Computing and IT"
And you're doing it full-time?

Regarding your edit, given that I will apply by December 2019, I would have thought a 13 month period would be long enough to get an ITA (with 463 points) and receive my CoPR in time for Jan 2021?
I think applying by December is likely to be optimistic if you won't be taking IELTS until October. But possible if you push. Don't forget to add on a month or two for paperwork gathering after you obtain your ITA, you won't be applying immediately.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 24th 2019 at 11:29 am.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Flight attendant is a skilled occupation, and her degree will score far more than your Canadian work experience. So do check her score too in case she scores enough now.

You assumed wrong, as above, so no need to worry about that.

And you're doing it full-time?

I think applying by December is likely to be optimistic if you won't be taking IELTS until October. But possible if you push. Don't forget to add on a month or two for paperwork gathering after you obtain your ITA, you won't be applying immediately.

HTH.
Yes I am completing the course full-time (6 modules in 12 months). Realistically I am aiming to get the ITA by around March 2020, which gives me 6 months after finishing my course to get the IELTS done, the ECA back (and all the other paperwork), apply and receive an ITA. Maybe it's optimistic.

Does anyone know the current timelines between ITA and CoPR for FSW?
Old Jun 24th 2019, 12:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes I am completing the course full-time (6 modules in 12 months). Realistically I am aiming to get the ITA by around March 2020, which gives me 6 months after finishing my course to get the IELTS done, the ECA back (and all the other paperwork), apply and receive an ITA. Maybe it's optimistic.

Does anyone know the current timelines between ITA and CoPR for FSW?
That sounds more realistic. 6 months ish as a rough guide. Fingers crossed the course counts for points, but do check your OH's points score too.

Good luck.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

That sounds more realistic. 6 months ish as a rough guide. Fingers crossed the course counts for points, but do check your OH's points score too.

Good luck.
Just calculated her points; 423, including the points she would get from me.

Unfortunately the role of flight attendant is class C, and although her role as Cabin Chief puts her squarely in class 0, she's only had that job since last November. I put down 1 year as skilled work experience, as the other 3 years won't count.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 12:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Just calculated her points; 423, including the points she would get from me.

Unfortunately the role of flight attendant is class C, and although her role as Cabin Chief puts her squarely in class 0, she's only had that job since last November. I put down 1 year as skilled work experience, as the other 3 years won't count.
It used to be Class B, can't believe they've changed it! So she can save people's lives but it's only Skill Level C?!? Crazy.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 5:14 pm
D23
Just Joined

D23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond reputeD23 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see a well thought initial plan ,either way good luck