Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Does my partner need to show proof of funds as well?

Does my partner need to show proof of funds as well?

Old Aug 8th 2019, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Sasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does my partner need to show proof of funds as well?

Hello,

We are just about to submit our application but a couple of things have come up in the latter stages that have got us a bit worried.

I have got a letter from the bank with all the details needed to show our proof of funds. The letter is on letter head and includes average balance for the last 6 months of each of my accounts (I have joint instant access savings account with much more than the minimum requirement in it, a joint current account with hardly anything in, a personal savings and current account both with not much in and that is it). I have provided details of each and have no debts, mortgage, loans etc. Do you think I should include statements for the last 6 months as well for the joint savings account? Money gets transferred from my personal current account to the joint savings account every month from my salary.

That isn't the main concern however. My partner is self employed his business has a bank overdraft but the assets and physical stock held covers the overdraft amount. He also contributes to the joint savings account balance. He also has a van loan which will be paid off before we leave, the value of the van being more than the value of the loan. He also has a student loan.

I have searched all over to try and find info on this but doesn't seem to be anything. On the CIC document checklist under proof of funds and who is required to provide this, it just says 'the spouse of common law partner (if applicable)'. I am hoping that it says this in case I had access to funds in his name but I am now worried that we will have to get a letter and a lot of supporting documents from his bank as well before we can submit the application.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Old Aug 8th 2019, 4:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does my partner need to show proof of funds as well?

Originally Posted by Sasquatch888
Hello,

We are just about to submit our application but a couple of things have come up in the latter stages that have got us a bit worried.

I have got a letter from the bank with all the details needed to show our proof of funds. The letter is on letter head and includes average balance for the last 6 months of each of my accounts (I have joint instant access savings account with much more than the minimum requirement in it, a joint current account with hardly anything in, a personal savings and current account both with not much in and that is it). I have provided details of each and have no debts, mortgage, loans etc. Do you think I should include statements for the last 6 months as well for the joint savings account? Money gets transferred from my personal current account to the joint savings account every month from my salary.

That isn't the main concern however. My partner is self employed his business has a bank overdraft but the assets and physical stock held covers the overdraft amount. He also contributes to the joint savings account balance. He also has a van loan which will be paid off before we leave, the value of the van being more than the value of the loan. He also has a student loan.

I have searched all over to try and find info on this but doesn't seem to be anything. On the CIC document checklist under proof of funds and who is required to provide this, it just says 'the spouse of common law partner (if applicable)'. I am hoping that it says this in case I had access to funds in his name but I am now worried that we will have to get a letter and a lot of supporting documents from his bank as well before we can submit the application.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Are you married or common law partners and are you both going on the application (i.e. are you including points from your partner in your Express Entry application)?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/proof-funds.html

If your spouse is coming with you, you can count money you have together in a joint account. You may be able to count money in an account under their name only, but you must prove you have access to the money.The funds must be available both when you apply and when (if) we issue you a permanent resident visa. You must prove to an immigration officer that you can legally access the money to use here when you arrive. For proof, you must get official letters from any banks or financial institutions where you’re keeping money.[

For proof, you must get official letters from any banks or financial institutions where you’re keeping money.

Letter(s) must

• be printed on the financial institution’s letterhead
  • include their contact information (address, telephone number and email address)
  • include your name
  • list outstanding debts such as credit card debts and loans
  • include, for each current bank and investment account, the

• account numbers
    • date each account was opened
    • current balance of each account
    • average balance for the past 6 months

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 8th 2019 at 4:20 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond reputeSasquatch888 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does my partner need to show proof of funds as well?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Are you married or common law partners and are you both going on the application (i.e. are you including points from your partner in your Express Entry application)?
Yes, should have mentioned that. We are applying as common law together. I am the main applicant.

We have the above letter from my bank and have done what asked under main applicant section when uploading documents.

I was wanting to make sure we didn't have to provide any information on my partner for proof of funds, as nothing he has at the moment will help us there and we have sufficient money in our joint bank account (which I have provided all required info on in my documents).

Many thanks

Last edited by Sasquatch888; Aug 8th 2019 at 4:23 pm.