Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Does family doctor get results of medical?

Does family doctor get results of medical?

Old Sep 24th 2015, 6:08 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Posts: 148
itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does family doctor get results of medical?

Does any one know if the results of an immigration medical performed in Canada for PR status are sent to your family physician in Canada?

I need chest x-ray result to be able to do some voluntary work. Had chest x ray last October for PR medical and they would accept this but I do not know if I can get a copy.
itsasmallworld is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2015, 7:15 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Maple Ridge, Super Natural British Columbia
Posts: 2,072
withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does family doctor get results of medical?

No, they aren't available. We asked about this recently.

Even if they were, it would be quicker to get another one anyway. Multiple X-rays aren't a health risk unless you have lots and lots of them.

CIC website says:


Getting a copy of your medical exam

If you want a copy of your medical exam, please ask the doctor when you are there.

Note: Medical reports and x-rays for the medical exam become the property of CIC and cannot be returned to you.

Last edited by withabix; Sep 24th 2015 at 7:18 am.
withabix is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2015, 7:20 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Posts: 148
itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does family doctor get results of medical?

Thanks Withabix. I suspected that was the case. Nurse I was talking to today seemed to think that information would always be sent to family doctor, especially as repeating x rays unnecessarily was not a good idea.

Looks like I will be getting another chest x-ray! I think this will be my third or fourth in the last 5 years. I really wish I had not been given that BCG.
itsasmallworld is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2015, 6:38 pm
  #4  
I need a walk
 
Stinkypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Okanagan
Posts: 4,899
Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does family doctor get results of medical?

Originally Posted by withabix
No, they aren't available. We asked about this recently.

Even if they were, it would be quicker to get another one anyway. Multiple X-rays aren't a health risk unless you have lots and lots of them.

CIC website says:


Getting a copy of your medical exam

If you want a copy of your medical exam, please ask the doctor when you are there.

Note: Medical reports and x-rays for the medical exam become the property of CIC and cannot be returned to you.
Not entirely true- a chest X-ray has risk although I would agree that the radiation dose is small- certainly compared to back x- rays,CT scans and abdominal films.
Stinkypup is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2015, 6:44 pm
  #5  
I need a walk
 
Stinkypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Okanagan
Posts: 4,899
Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does family doctor get results of medical?

Originally Posted by itsasmallworld
Thanks Withabix. I suspected that was the case. Nurse I was talking to today seemed to think that information would always be sent to family doctor, especially as repeating x rays unnecessarily was not a good idea.

Looks like I will be getting another chest x-ray! I think this will be my third or fourth in the last 5 years. I really wish I had not been given that BCG.
This is actually still not bad- each CXR apparently is equivalent to background radiation absorbed by you standing on the earth from space of about extra four days. Abdominal CT scans however are equivelent I believe to about 3-4 years background radiation... Not something to repeat if possible as doses are cumulative.
Back x-rays are also high dose and typically yield very little information above clinical examination and one should really try and avoid these- a local back surgeon advised us that 700 lumbar spine x-rays would have to be taken ( obviously on different patients!) to show pathology which would influence his management of the patient. Quite a shockingly low yield.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Sep 24th 2015 at 7:22 pm.
Stinkypup is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2015, 12:25 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,009
colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does family doctor get results of medical?

Originally Posted by itsasmallworld
Does any one know if the results of an immigration medical performed in Canada for PR status are sent to your family physician in Canada?

I need chest x-ray result to be able to do some voluntary work. Had chest x ray last October for PR medical and they would accept this but I do not know if I can get a copy.

Go to the place that did the x-ray and ask them for a copy.
colchar is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2015, 12:26 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,009
colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does family doctor get results of medical?

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Not entirely true- a chest X-ray has risk although I would agree that the radiation dose is small- certainly compared to back x- rays,CT scans and abdominal films.
If the amount of radiation is the same how are chest x-rays more risky?
colchar is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2015, 2:34 am
  #8  
I need a walk
 
Stinkypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Okanagan
Posts: 4,899
Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does family doctor get results of medical?

Originally Posted by colchar
If the amount of radiation is the same how are chest x-rays more risky?
This explains it well
http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=safety
As I said the risks are incredibly low for chest X-rays

XrayRisk.com :

bats may be able to comment further as this is particularly her field

I have never seen any investigations which have arisen from an immigration medical in any chart that I have had which includes obviously previous info from past GPs. Even if you request them I doubt whether they would oblige for bloods and chest x-Rays - as has been suggested unless you specifically asked at the time of your medical.
Stinkypup is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2015, 4:07 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,497
AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does family doctor get results of medical?

Slightly off topic but just out of curiosity, if the x-ray came back showing something abnormal would they then have a duty of care to inform you/your GP?
AlliF is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2015, 4:49 am
  #10  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does family doctor get results of medical?

Hi

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Slightly off topic but just out of curiosity, if the x-ray came back showing something abnormal would they then have a duty of care to inform you/your GP?
Quote from the Panel Physician Handbook

"Panel physicians are to provide appropriate and timely advice to the client when they discover a serious disease not known to the client.

In doing so, they are to uphold professional and ethical standards by referring back to the client’s usual physician or to an appropriate specialist, upon request."
PMM is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2015, 7:14 am
  #11  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does family doctor get results of medical?

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
This explains it well
http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=safety
As I said the risks are incredibly low for chest X-rays

XrayRisk.com :

bats may be able to comment further as this is particularly her field

I have never seen any investigations which have arisen from an immigration medical in any chart that I have had which includes obviously previous info from past GPs. Even if you request them I doubt whether they would oblige for bloods and chest x-Rays - as has been suggested unless you specifically asked at the time of your medical.
That was an interesting website (xrayrisk) - you can get accumulated totals. Eek!

Totals:

Number of Xrays 25

Dose (mSv) 74.720001

Additional cancer risk 0.400201%

An Additional Cancer Risk of 0.400201% is equal to 1 in 250 chances.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2015, 8:25 am
  #12  
I need a walk
 
Stinkypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Okanagan
Posts: 4,899
Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does family doctor get results of medical?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That was an interesting website (xrayrisk) - you can get accumulated totals. Eek!

Totals:

Number of Xrays 25

Dose (mSv) 74.720001

Additional cancer risk 0.400201%

An Additional Cancer Risk of 0.400201% is equal to 1 in 250 chances.
I think that you will fine!!
Stinkypup is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.