Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Does CIC always carry out a police/background check?

Does CIC always carry out a police/background check?

Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

sky_summers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does CIC always carry out a police/background check?

Does anyone know if CIC do a police check/background check additional to the police certificate submitted with the application? I don't have any convictions or cautions... Just trying to establish whether they actually have to wait on any information from any third parties before making a decision. I thought the purpose of sending in a full police certificate with my application was to save CIC from waiting on/applying for it. Could be wrong though? My medicals were all clear too so hopefully it's just a case of reviewing what's on file
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:28 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Does CIC always carry out a police/background check?

I would think it very unlikely. If your police check is clear there should be no issues on that count.

CIC will make their decision based on the information they request YOU to provide/obtain for them. God knows how long it would take if they had to obtain the info themselves
Old Nov 18th 2011, 5:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I am pretty sure they will do additional background checks. I believe that your names will be given to CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service) to see if you have come to their attention anywhere in the world.

Last edited by JonboyE; Nov 18th 2011 at 5:35 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:55 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Background checks are always done for every application and all adults in them.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Background checks are always done for every application and all adults in them.
Thanks for the reply Jim - much appreciated. Do you know what checks are carried out? Feels like I wasted 4 weeks waiting on a police report to submit with my application just for them to check the same thing which could take a while I feel with the christmas holidays looming i'm not going to hear anything anytime soon which worries me somewhat.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I am pretty sure they will do additional background checks. I believe that your names will be given to CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service) to see if you have come to their attention anywhere in the world.
Thanks Jonboy. Just trying to establish exactly what else they have to do as I submitted everything with the application in an attempt to speed things up. Or so I thought!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:53 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Background checks are much wider than criminal matters - there is terrorism, and many other things they need to see to. Sounds over zealous but they have to do it. If you are and always have been a UK resident then you should see no long delay there.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Background checks are much wider than criminal matters - there is terrorism, and many other things they need to see to. Sounds over zealous but they have to do it. If you are and always have been a UK resident then you should see no long delay there.
Thanks Jim. I have always been a UK resident and have never been in any trouble I included medicals and a police report with my application, and an affadavit from a lawyer stating that I have full custody of my daughter and right to remove her from the UK. Ecas is telling us that medicals have been received and that they started to process our application on the 9th November. (they've had it since the 9th September though) Do you think we would be likely to hear anything before Christmas? Many thanks, your expertise is greatly appreciated
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

havana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sky_summers
Thanks Jim. I have always been a UK resident and have never been in any trouble I included medicals and a police report with my application, and an affadavit from a lawyer stating that I have full custody of my daughter and right to remove her from the UK. Ecas is telling us that medicals have been received and that they started to process our application on the 9th November. (they've had it since the 9th September though) Do you think we would be likely to hear anything before Christmas? Many thanks, your expertise is greatly appreciated
Hello. After ecas showed (in process on 17/7/2011) as I sent them some documents as well. I was bored with waiting, so before 3 weeks I contacted London VO. They replied: (your application is in background check, and we cannot advice when that will be done). I have worked in Africa for a while, but I am 100% CLEAN. don't know, hope this will not take ages
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by havana
Hello. After ecas showed (in process on 17/7/2011) as I sent them some documents as well. I was bored with waiting, so before 3 weeks I contacted London VO. They replied: (your application is in background check, and we cannot advice when that will be done). I have worked in Africa for a while, but I am 100% CLEAN. don't know, hope this will not take ages
Havana... Are you going through the spousal route too?
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by havana
I advise you to be patient.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

havana is an unknown quantity at this point

I advise you to be patient.
Thank you Jim, I really appreciate that, but I have many plans, and I am now thinking if my file can be transferred to another country (VO), as I got a temporary job offer outside UK. It is really taking too long, and with family it is very difficult to plan. I am applying under FSW post june 2010
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

The advice to be patient is very correct. There are lots of different things that need to be done by CIC. Depending on how complicated your situation is, it may go faster or slower.

But the bottom line is that no matter how quickly it actually goes, it will always feel like time is in slow motion.