Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Does Arranged Employment speed up PR applications via London?

Does Arranged Employment speed up PR applications via London?

Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Z-Audio will become famous soon enough
Question Does Arranged Employment speed up PR applications via London?

I am having some trouble confirming whether arranged employment (ie working on work permit for over one year via LMO or via LMO exemption, then make PR application) actually speeds up a skilled worker PR application via London office or not? The commission site lists current processing times and suggests it does; I have also seen reference in this forum that suggests it does; but I have had an immigration attorney in Calgary tell me it doesn't and that PNP is the only way.

Please can I have some feedback on what is true?

Also, can anyone tell me whether having an job on work permit alone for say over a year is enough to count as arranged employment, or do I need a separate permanent job offer from my employer first... or a longer contract perhaps? How long does it need to be. I have seen some reference to that it need only be longer than the skilled worker PR process...

Thanks

Simon
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

soconnell74 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does Arranged Employment speed up PR applications via London?

Originally Posted by Z-Audio
I am having some trouble confirming whether arranged employment (ie working on work permit for over one year via LMO or via LMO exemption, then make PR application) actually speeds up a skilled worker PR application via London office or not? The commission site lists current processing times and suggests it does; I have also seen reference in this forum that suggests it does; but I have had an immigration attorney in Calgary tell me it doesn't and that PNP is the only way.

Please can I have some feedback on what is true?

Also, can anyone tell me whether having an job on work permit alone for say over a year is enough to count as arranged employment, or do I need a separate permanent job offer from my employer first... or a longer contract perhaps? How long does it need to be. I have seen some reference to that it need only be longer than the skilled worker PR process...

Thanks

Simon
It certainly does speed matters up... see my sig line... I'll be crossing the border this weekend. The best way is to have a letter from an employer stating that they would like to employ you on a permanent basis if you get PR status, but having an active WP has been seen to speed everything up.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:33 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

If you're working in Canada on a work permit and you want to apply for PR, you have two options for submitting your PR application. One is Buffalo and the other is the visa post that handles immigration applications from your country of origin. In the case of a British citizen that visa post is London.

Buffalo does not fast track PR applications that are accompanied by permanent offers of employment.

London does fast track such PR applications.

There are full instructions in the Wiki called Fast Track PR Application.

The Wiki article called Work Permit versus PNP lists the pros and cons of each. Of course that is a generic list. Maybe the immigration lawyer knows something specific about your case that we don't know.
x
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Judy!

This is what I thought, and wanted to hear. I think the lawyer just has this wrong... once I have enough 'evidence' I will challenge her directly... maybe I won't even use her now based on such inaccurracy?

All the best

Simon
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:50 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe I won't even use her now based on such inaccurracy?
Sack her now; she's clearly incompetent. Also, you don't need to have been working in Canada for a year. We applied for our PR after 9 months. If your WP is only issued for a year, I'd recommend trying to get it done ASAP. Once you've got a few payslips under your belt and your employer has confirmed that they'll write the above-mentioned letter, go for it. It doesn't do any harm to start collecting documents to support your application NOW - particularly if you're going to be leaving any of your stuff in the UK.

The crux here is claiming points for arranged employment. You fall into the first category in this table:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/immigra...employment.asp
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Does Arranged Employment speed up PR applications via London?

Hi bazzz,

Thanks for that... great to hear again that she seems to be wrong.
In addition to the points, can you confirm that this also speeds up processing of the PR application via London UK?

I'd ideally like someone in town to help with amy applications... can you or anyone recommend an immigration attorney/consultant in Calgary?

Thanks

Simon
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:08 am

Assuming you've not a led a particularly complicated life, this forum will provide all the help you need. The advice offered here is often better than you'd get from a consultant - as you can see.

If you insist on using someone, check out Andrew Miller - he's a regular poster on this forum. He's based in Vancouver, but I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to handle your application.

Oh, and yes it does speed up your application. We went down this route and had it all completed it in slightly over four months; would have been a month faster but we needed to keep hold of our passports to go on holiday.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Fast Tracked PR Application for People in Canada on Work Permits

Hi Simon,

I have been in BC via a Work Permit since 2005.

I am in the process of collating my documents (e.g. reference letters from old employers, UK police checks etc.

I am using the information detailed in the Wiki regarding Fast Tracked applications.

I am using the London office (as I'm British). Mentioned previously; Buffalo doesn't fast-track application in the same way as London does.

One thing to search on this forum is about the UK police checks procedure. I found it all confusing longer old system 10 pounds v new (trial) ACPO system that costs 35 pounds (and might not yet be acceptable by CIC).

I'm using the new ACPO system, but you have to make your own mind up about that one!

It's been a right faff trying to contact employers and beg the specific information in a reference letter from them.

Hope this helps,

Sarah
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Does Arranged Employment speed up PR applications via London?

Originally Posted by bazzz
Assuming you've not a led a particularly complicated life, this forum will provide all the help you need. The advice offered here is often better than you'd get from a consultant - as you can see.

If you insist on using someone, check out Andrew Miller - he's a regular poster on this forum. He's based in Vancouver, but I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to handle your application.

Oh, and yes it does speed up your application. We went down this route and had it all completed it in slightly over four months; would have been a month faster but we needed to keep hold of our passports to go on holiday.
I would echo what Bazzz is saying. I have read all the application pack for PR and followed by searching on this forum.

I am not sure what more a consultant could do for me (perhaps my circumstances are simpler than others). The process going from a Work Permit to Permanent Resident is clearly detailed, and as long as you don't miss out on providing information and explaining things, I think it's do-able yourself.

However, as others have previously said, if your case if complicated, that's when you get a professional involved.

Sarah
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:30 am

The thing that Andrew Miller always points out is that it's important that your application is well prepared and conclusively documented. This is what we did with ours. A covering letter at the start. Then a covering note for each section (work experience, police checks, certificates, etc) explaining what is included. Dividing your documents up in a way to make everything easy to find. The key is to make life as easy as possible for the visa officer so that they can be in no doubt about who and what you're claiming to be. Put yourself in their situation, look at what you're sending them and ask yourself - would I believe this?

But really, it's not that hard. It just requires a bit of patience and organisation (and I'm usually a very poorly organised person).
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Jo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really nice

Arranged employment certainly doesn't seem to have helped speed things up for us...Been on WP for 2 years and sent updated information about arranged employment (Salary slips etc) and asked to be fast tracked. To no avail, see signature.

MrM
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for the great responses to this.

Does anyone thing that what happened to Jo is of concern to future London based applications? Obviously without having all the detail it is pretty speculative.

Is there anyone else on this forum who submitted a PR application via Skilled Worker to London UK and did NOT get a fasttracked response?

Thanks again

Simon
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:48 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the great responses to this.

Does anyone thing that what happened to Jo is of concern to future London based applications? Obviously without having all the detail it is pretty speculative.

Is there anyone else on this forum who submitted a PR application via Skilled Worker to London UK and did NOT get a fasttracked response?

Thanks again

Simon
I have read on this forum that, if you have a TWP that is valid for a long time, and if you previously have lodged a PR application that immigration authorities expect to process during the term of your TWP, they may not fast track your PR application on the basis of your offer of permanent employment.

I guess the logic goes something like this. Well, Simon's PR application would be coming up for processing around the autumn of 2008 anyway, and his TWP is valid until the end of 2009, so there's no rush.

On this forum I've seen some people's PR applications being fast tracked under these circumstances and some people's PR applications being processed when they normally would have been processed.

There seems to be no guarantee of fast tracking.

There is a guarantee that you'll be granted 10 points for arranged employment. If you've lived and worked in Canada for a period of time (I forget how long - a year as I recall), you also get 5 points for adaptability. But, if you already have enough points without these additional points, you may not care about this. I'm just mentioning this to point out that, while they may not fast track your PR application, they will give you the points that are due to you.

Just from my informal observations of other people on this forum, I think there almost may be an advantage in not having lodged a PR application prior to arriving in Canada on a work permit.

That is, several forum members who have submitted their PR applications after they'd started working in Canada on their TWPs seem to have been granted PR status pretty quickly. Well it depends on your definition of pretty quick. I would call bazzz's 4.5 month processing time pretty quick.

The bottom line is that, if you submit your PR application to Buffalo, it will not be fast tracked. You can take that to the bank.

If you submit your PR application to London, it may or may not be fast tracked. From what I've seen, submitting a PR application to London when one already is working in Canada on a TWP and has a permanent job offer often results in a permanent residence visa being issued within months.

I'm not speaking as an immigration expert, but as someone who has observed this forum.
x
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi Judy,

Very concisely put! I also have come to the same conclusion - best to get work first and then apply for skilled worker PR once working; it seems to be better received by London.

Can Andrew shed any light on whether London will fast track such applications. Their website suggests that skilled worker applications that have 'arranged employment' will be processed faster. Maybe it is just essential to make sure the application is submitted with the AE initially to make this happen?

Or is there a doubt, which leads people to seek PNP first?

Thanks again

Simon
Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:26 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Or is there a doubt, which leads people to seek PNP first?
There are various reasons why people apply via PNP.

There are several British Expats in the Calgary and Edmonton Police Services who have come in via PNP. The police service will only employ PRs (and the RCMP will only employ citizens), so police officers cannot come in on TWPs.

There are large companies that have huge shortages. These companies have put forward a business case to the Alberta government, and have been given a sort of blanket approval to hire X number of foreign workers. An example that we've seen on this forum is long haul truck driving.

When a person's PNP application receives provincial approval and is forwarded to the federal government for the final processing stage, the provincial government issues an endorsement letter that allows the person to apply for a TWP. This endorsement letter cancels the need for an LMO. It enables the person to start working in Alberta while he/she is waiting for his/her PR application to be processed.

One of the problems with PNPs, that Andrew Miller explained to me, is that the province-wide quotas are quite small. Apparently they're all filled up in the first half of the year, and in some provinces in the first quarter of the year.

So the prospective employer and the prospective employee have to figure out (a) what options are open to them (and in the case of police officers there is only one option), (b) which path will get the prospective employee working on the ground most quickly, and (c) which path involves the least amount of hassle.

You have to remember that the vast majority of TWP applicants need an LMO first. In Alberta you unfortunately can expect an LMO to take 30 weeks to come through. That changes the equation for a lot of people.

If the applicant submits a PNP application at a time of year when there are PNP spaces available and if the prospective employer has the resources to submit a business case to the Alberta government, the PNP route may look more attractive.

If the applicant has missed the PNP window or if the cost-benefit ratio of submitting a business case to the Alberta government doesn't make sense, the parties may conclude that a TWP is the better way to go. How many employees does the employer need to hire? Does he need 150 employees? Then the effort of preparing a business case may make sense. Does he need a single employee with a specific kind of expertise? For the sake of a single employee, it might make more sense to take the TWP approach.

You are one of a minority of primary applicants who does not need an LMO. Remember that, in Alberta, many people wait 30 weeks for an LMO. So what makes sense for many participants of this forum wouldn't make sense for you. Since you don't need an LMO in the first place, I would have thought you wouldn't have had the same motivation to find workarounds such as PNP.
x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.