Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Does Anyone know the ECA for English LLB (hons)?

Does Anyone know the ECA for English LLB (hons)?

Old Feb 25th 2017, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

cacaland is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Does Anyone know the ECA for English LLB (hons)?

Hey!

I have LLB (Hons) and I would like to get an ECA for a first professional degree for extra points, but it seems WES would only grant it eca as a 'Bachelors Degree', without saying anything like an entry-into-profession degree. This would chip off a lot of points for me. I have been searching all over the internet but haven't found a thing.

IS there anyone who knows something about it and can help me? How do you get a First Professional Degree- ECA for a British LLB?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Anyone know the ECA for English LLB (hons)?

A British LLB is a Bachelor's degree.

It's not the same as a Canadian JD, which is a professional degree taken after you already have a Bachelor's degree.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Rwley1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you argue that as it exempts you from the CPE then it is a professional entry degree. Effectively if you didn't have one the progression to a solicitor or barrister would be 2 years not 1. Could you send a transcript that shows exactly where you are negating the CPE? What about approaching whichever law school your llb was attached to? See if they will say on your behalf that it is exempting you from some professional exams? Most UK universities are attached to one to send you onto for their professional exams
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Eggx is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe you would need your assessment done from National Committee on Accreditation. It is likely that you may have to sit some Canada specific law courses before being assessed as equivalent to a Canadian professional law degree

How to Apply for an Assessment - Federation of Law Societies of Canada

Last edited by Eggx; Feb 26th 2017 at 8:14 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 28th 2017, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

As I explained on your other thread, my wife's English law degree was classified as "generally compares to the completion of a first professional university degree in law" by IQAS. Our application to CIC was calculated on that basis and we landed two weeks ago so no issues.

Regarding being a lawyer in Canada, you need to ask FLSC to assess your qualifications and sit transfer exams if you are eligible. With an LPC and 18 months of PQE my wife needed to do 5 transfer exams. The fact that your degree is accepted by CIC for immigration purposes does not mean that FLSC will give you credit for it (e.g. If it is old or not 3 year course).
Old Mar 28th 2017, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Hamilton dreamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cacaland
Hey!

I have LLB (Hons) and I would like to get an ECA for a first professional degree for extra points, but it seems WES would only grant it eca as a 'Bachelors Degree', without saying anything like an entry-into-profession degree. This would chip off a lot of points for me. I have been searching all over the internet but haven't found a thing.

IS there anyone who knows something about it and can help me? How do you get a First Professional Degree- ECA for a British LLB?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Hello, if you still haven't gotten a solution , you should definitely use IQAS. It takes roughly one month to get an assessment.