Does Anybody Know??

Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future
Default Does Anybody Know??

My husband and I and our three children came to Canada in Feb 2009 . He came on TWP with 2 year permit given at point of entry to accompany the 2 year LMO. I was issued a 2 year open work permit and our three children were given study permits.

Then in August 2009 he was laid off. CIC advised us that we were still allowed to live in country until 2011 and I could still work using my open work permit. In September 2009 I paid for a medical and applied to have new work permit with restrictions lifted (so I could work with children). I paid $150 at end of September and recieved new work permit at end of October. This also has end date as Feb 2011.

After three months of job applications and many interviews( not to mention numerous job offers) my husband has now got new job to start 7/12/09 and a new LMO. The trouble is the LMO is only for twelve months and so does not tie in with my permit or the kids study permits.

He is going to border next weekend to obtain new permit and I just wondered what he is likely to be asked for. Will he need to show his old work permit? if so will they then need to issue new permits for us also. I am certainly not going to pay again for me, having only just paid in September. I think it totally unfair that having been told in Feb this year we could stay 2 years, that he has only got 12 LMO now, even though firm applied for 2 year lmo.

I know this is a complicated question but does anyone know the answer??

Last edited by zippadydoda; Nov 21st 2009 at 4:11 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice
Default Re: Does Anybody Know??

I'm sorry I don't have time to find proper references for this but here is my expectation.

My understanding is this: Your SOWP is dependent on your husband's TWP. Because that is about to change your SOWP (and the permits for your children) will also have to change.

While it'd be nice if you weren't charged again I'd prepare for it. The alternative is that you won't be able to work legally.

I wouldn't complain about the time on the work permit. There's a recession on and the policy is that jobs go to Canadians and PRs first. Life isn't fair for TWP's and that's because you're there to fill in gaps. Yes, that sucks. If you want to stay then get started on PR!
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ESarge
I'm sorry I don't have time to find proper references for this but here is my expectation.

My understanding is this: Your SOWP is dependent on your husband's TWP. Because that is about to change your SOWP (and the permits for your children) will also have to change.

While it'd be nice if you weren't charged again I'd prepare for it. The alternative is that you won't be able to work legally.

I wouldn't complain about the time on the work permit. There's a recession on and the policy is that jobs go to Canadians and PRs first. Life isn't fair for TWP's and that's because you're there to fill in gaps. Yes, that sucks. If you want to stay then get started on PR!

Thanks for your prompt reply. I was suppecting this would be the case but it is so wrong. We had enlisted the help of our local MP who has been most supportive and has expedited the medical results and the LMO.

The reason why we are having to flagpole in the first place is because we have a PR application in and our 120 days is up in December. We had all the evidence, police checks etc ready to send off in August and then my husband (main applicant with SW cat 2) was laid off!!!

CIC told us that we could carry on with application only if my husband could secure another skilled job with LMO!

Should be grateful we managed that bit at least! But something more needs to be done to protect people here on TWP,s.

Last edited by zippadydoda; Nov 22nd 2009 at 3:00 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

<sigh>
My other half needs a new passport half way through the WP period - so my SOWP and kids stuff expires because his passport does... I don't have a real problem with it - I know my WP and kids status is tagged onto his, so if he doesn't have a valid permit, neither do I... It is a pain, but ultimately it's a paperwork exercise that I can't get excited over. We both know that we might be heading back to the UK if the PR doesn't all work out. Hey ho.

Well done on him getting a job, anyway - that's half the battle. Surely a 12 month contract will give you enough time to get your PR stuff sorted or for him to get a longer TWP in place? I'm guessing that you have to wait three months again before you apply, or is it possible for you to be principal applicant to save the wait? No idea really, but at least you've got 12 months to get it all in place.

Hope it all goes well for you this time x