Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Documents to isolate? Shippers in tomorrow!

Documents to isolate? Shippers in tomorrow!

Old Nov 4th 2013, 9:31 am
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Documents to isolate? Shippers in tomorrow!

Eep!

Advise pleaseandthankyou ...

The shippers are in tomorrow and I'm curious as to what documents I should isolate and take with us on the plane.

Obv our CIC letters, medical histories, passports, birth certificates - has anyone else found things useful to have at hand for when you arrive? (old leases, bills, etc etc)?? Or things that the border folk would like to see?

I haven't built a goods-to-follow list yet - thought to build that on the back of the inventory list from the shippers as they're doing the packing (good idea or should I do something else as well??).

Thanks!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Documents to isolate? Shippers in tomorrow!

Originally Posted by AnneMarieC
Eep!

I haven't built a goods-to-follow list yet - thought to build that on the back of the inventory list from the shippers as they're doing the packing (good idea or should I do something else as well??).

Thanks!
You'll need to record the serial numbers of things, which if I recall correctly, the shippers don't do.

Probably best to do that before everything is packed away.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 12:11 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Wolstie - no mechanicals being taken though, so that makes it easier
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to look at thess 'to do' lists.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Depart...K_to_Canada%29

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_Accompanying-Canada

The inventory is likely to be very generic - you need to have anything of value itemised; you also need to have values written down (see goods lists) - I would recommend making your own lists if you have time. You will likely need itemised lists for insurance purposes too.

Old Nov 4th 2013, 9:46 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You might want to look at thess 'to do' lists.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Depart...K_to_Canada%29

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_Accompanying-Canada

The inventory is likely to be very generic - you need to have anything of value itemised; you also need to have values written down (see goods lists) - I would recommend making your own lists if you have time. You will likely need itemised lists for insurance purposes too.

Amazing - thanks S! We do have an itemised list for the insurance, though not everything is on there.

Guess I'm staying up late getting my own list going

Thanks for your help (again!)
x
Old Nov 4th 2013, 9:51 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

Next question:
As a returning resident I naturally don't wish to be charged on the incoming goods to follow / accompanying ... hubby is coming in initially as a visitor visa as he's still in processing for PR. Do we declare the goods under his name? Or does it have to be mine as he's coming in as a visitor?

Edited to add that I've been out of Canada for 8.5yrs
Old Nov 4th 2013, 9:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing - thanks S! We do have an itemised list for the insurance, though not everything is on there.

Guess I'm staying up late getting my own list going

Thanks for your help (again!)
x
You are most welcome

If you have copies of bank statements, visa statements, mortgage/rent statement and utility statements (or anything showing that you are in good standing, i.e. not in arrears) I would bring 6 months worth with you if you are planning on buying a house. They can be used as substitute proof of credit worthiness for mortgages.

Get your drivers extraction, a letter from your insurers (and don't forget to bring your drivers licences).

Also bring your education or professional certificates (unless you can replace them) just in case!

You should bring a copy of your application, spousal approval and any documentation received from CIC, together with any receipts for payment of fees (with you). Additionally, I would recommend having a copy of any of the forms you filled out (if you have them) and also copies of any backing documentation (even if it's just on a USB stick). The reason being, that should they want updates or (god forbid) your application is 'lost' at any point, you will have everything ready to submit or refer back to.

Old Nov 4th 2013, 10:14 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

Thanks!
Any idea on the other bit? Of who to put down on the B4 form / primary shipper of goods to follow / accompany?
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:01 am
Banned

Thanks!
Any idea on the other bit? Of who to put down on the B4 form / primary shipper of goods to follow / accompany?
If your goods are arriving before your husband is likely to get PR, then I would suggest putting them in your name.

You can read about 'returning residents' and Canada Customs here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5087-eng.html

To qualify for duty- and tax-free importation, you must have owned, possessed and used the goods for at least six months prior to your return to live in Canada. The six-month stipulation is waived if you have been away from Canada for five years or more.

When you arrive in Canada, even if you have no goods with you at the time of entry, you must give your list of goods to the border services officer at the first point of arrival in Canada. Based on the list of goods you submit, the officer will complete a Form B4 , Personal Effects Accounting Document, for you, assign a file number to it, and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt. You will need to present your copy of the form to claim free importation of your unaccompanied goods when they arrive.

Any single personal or household item (including an automobile) that is worth more than CAN$10,000 on the date you import it, is subject to applicable duty and taxes on the amount that is over CAN$10,000. The item must have been acquired after March 31, 1977.

You can make the process easier by filling out Form B4 as completely as possible, in advance. Form B4 is available by selecting “Publications and forms” on the CBSA Web site or by calling the Border Information Service at one of the telephone numbers listed in the section called “Additional Information.”

Old Nov 5th 2013, 5:21 am
Finding my Canadian Feet

aha! missed the bit about the 6mths stipulation. We're ok then

Ta!