Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Doctor/ surgeon Perm residency advice

Wikiposts

Doctor/ surgeon Perm residency advice

Old Jun 15th 2013, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

thetrey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doctor/ surgeon Perm residency advice

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, so apologies if this has already been answered.
I worked in Toronto in 2012 as a surgeon for just under a year doing fellowship. I came with the family & we loved the place. We also made really good friends & want to come back permanently.

Is there an easier way to get PR for a medic? Otherwise what are even the first steps of getting pr? Does my wife have to go through the same process too? Does my 10 months or so count? Roughly how long will it take to get PR if we're approved from start to finish?

It makes getting jobs over there in Ca a lot easier if I have PR; otherwise jobs have to preferentially go to native Canadians (understandably).

Thanks for any advice folks,

A

Last edited by thetrey; Jun 15th 2013 at 9:42 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 2:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doctor/ surgeon Perm residency advice

Unfortunately, doctors are not on 'the list' of eligible occupations for FSW this year (they always have been in the past), so you'd need a job offer to apply for PR.

Sorry, but it appears you're applying a year or two too late and will now need to get a job offer for a visa.

Unless your wife would be eligible for anything, what does she do? Or look at other provinces, or a study permit? Have a look at the Wiki and CIC website to give you an idea of the various visa routes available.

Good luck.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 2:45 am
Just Joined

thetrey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Unfortunately, doctors are not on 'the list' of eligible occupations for FSW this year (they always have been in the past), so you'd need a job offer to apply for PR.

Sorry, but it appears you're applying a year or two too late and will now need to get a job offer for a visa.

Unless your wife would be eligible for anything, what does she do? Or look at other provinces, or a study permit? Have a look at the Wiki and CIC website to give you an idea of the various visa routes available.

Good luck.
Yea thanks I saw the "test yourself" CIC web page. My wife is a dietician and lecturer, but again that's not on the list this year either, I'm afraid. Thanks for your help though.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future

If you need a job first as a surgeon, then healthforce ontario should be your first port of call

its a government funded organisation that matches suitably qualified health professionals to jobs and will also give advise about licensing and immigration
they would be able to help your wife too as a dietician

check them out at:
http://www.hfojobs.ca
http://www.healthforceontario.ca

Last edited by segs; Jun 20th 2013 at 4:16 am.