Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do you still have to wait 2 days after your Citizenship Ceremony before Passport appl

Do you still have to wait 2 days after your Citizenship Ceremony before Passport appl

Old Sep 26th 2014, 1:55 am
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light
Question Do you still have to wait 2 days after your Citizenship Ceremony before Passport appl

Referring to this: Notice – New Citizenship Certificate

From 2012... last line states:

Recipients of the new certificate who are scheduled for a citizenship ceremony will need to wait at least two business days after their ceremony before they can apply for services such as a passport.
And now in 2014 I must ask you all... Do you still have to wait 2 days after your Citizenship Ceremony before you can apply for a Passport.

Further, if you have a NEXUS Card already, can you just update it with the Citizenship Certificate and travel to the US using that while you wait for your passport?
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you still have to wait 2 days after your Citizenship Ceremony before Passport

Originally Posted by hpka
Referring to this: Notice – New Citizenship Certificate

From 2012... last line states:

And now in 2014 I must ask you all... Do you still have to wait 2 days after your Citizenship Ceremony before you can apply for a Passport.

Further, if you have a NEXUS Card already, can you just update it with the Citizenship Certificate and travel to the US using that while you wait for your passport?
Yes you do. What's the effing hurry? Once you're a Canadian citizen (you'll get a document at the ceremony) you don't need a NEXUS card anyway.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you still have to wait 2 days after your Citizenship Ceremony before Passport

Regardless of Novo's somewhat rude response, the answer remains a very firm yes. The explanation given is that it takes two days for the details of your citizenship certificate to be received at the passport office.
I received my passport 8 working days after I hand delivered my application to the passport office.
I can't comment on the question of the nexus card. Sorry

Steve
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:39 am
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes you do. What's the effing hurry? Once you're a Canadian citizen (you'll get a document at the ceremony) you don't need a NEXUS card anyway.
You're thinking of a PR Card. A Nexus card is the fast border card issued to Canadian Citizens and PRs alike, if they have lived in Canada legally for 3 years.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:40 am
Britnadian

Originally Posted by Steveh27wp
Regardless of Novo's somewhat rude response, the answer remains a very firm yes. The explanation given is that it takes two days for the details of your citizenship certificate to be received at the passport office.
I received my passport 8 working days after I hand delivered my application to the passport office.
I can't comment on the question of the nexus card. Sorry

Steve
Awesome. That's exactly what I'll do.

Next question, does the day you take your Oath count as one of the days (e.g. if I took the oath on Monday, could I apply for a passport on Wednesday... because I am actually taking my oath on a Monday at 8:15am)
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Sorry, I really don't know the answer to that. My ceremony was on a Monday. I delivered my application on the following Thursday morning. I played for safety because of the distance involved in travelling to the passport office..... didn't want to get there on the Wednesday to find that they could not process my application

Steve
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:53 am
Britnadian

No worries. I think I'll play it safe in this case... especially because (as I am about to post in the timelines thread) I applied the very first possible moment... then when it came to Document Check time, they found a 2 day trip to LA I had forgotten (really forgotten... it took ages to recall what it was)
Old Sep 28th 2014, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

I was not aware of this "2 days" waiting period.

When I was naturalized in 2008, I recall some people went straight to the passport office afterwards to apply for their first passport.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown
When I was naturalized in 2008, I recall some people went straight to the passport office afterwards to apply for their first passport.
That's because the rules changed in February 2012:
Notice - New Citizenship Certificate
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

I was not aware of these changes. I guess, these changes don't apply to me anymore, as it seems to be a one time thing for a first passport application.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hpka
You're thinking of a PR Card. A Nexus card is the fast border card issued to Canadian Citizens and PRs alike, if they have lived in Canada legally for 3 years.
The residency requirement was amended:

NEXUS - Amendment to the Three-Year Residency Requirement – You may now qualify for NEXUS membership
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:26 pm
Britnadian

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Better still then! Citizens can get (and should get) NEXUS at any time!
Old Sep 29th 2014, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I recently got Canadian citizenship and I also have a nexus Card.

The nexus Card for a Canadian citizen and that for a PR is slightly different.

If you check your Nexus it says your country of citizenship. It is necessary to get a new nexus card now that you are a citizen.

They changed mine over for free. They tell you to destroy your old one once you get your new card. It took about a week to receive the new card. I went to the office without an appointment.

Because there were a few of us that they had to do, the officer did complain and told us that we should have applied for a new one and paid for it. but he did it anyway.

Now I just use my nexus card for my travel to the US, and have not had any issues.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 7:55 pm
Britnadian

Originally Posted by britsnake
If you check your Nexus it says your country of citizenship. It is necessary to get a new nexus card now that you are a citizen.

They changed mine over for free. They tell you to destroy your old one once you get your new card. It took about a week to receive the new card. I went to the office without an appointment.
Hadn't thought of that but will make sure that this process happens.

2 questions:
  1. Did you use your NEXUS Card (with the old Country of Citizenship) during the intervening week while the change was happening? E.g. after you went to the office, used the old card at the border before the new one arrived in the post?
  2. Did you make the change to your NEXUS card before or after you received your new Canadian Passport?

I'm planning on spending a morning doing paperwork downtown so it makes sense to visit the NEXUS office first and then go to the Passport Office to hand in the application. I heard someone mentioning (anecdotally) that if you link your Canadian Citizenship Certificate to your NEXUS Card it becomes immediately valid for travel, even before the arrival of your passport.

Last edited by hpka; Sep 29th 2014 at 8:07 pm. Reason: Clarrified
Old Sep 30th 2014, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I did not use the card in the intervening week whilst waiting for the new one, but I believe could have as they told me to destroy it after I received the new one rather than straight away.

After they updated the system it was approved the same day. Providing your nexus shows as approved it should not be a problem. But you should ask them when you go in.

I made the change to the Nexus card before receiving my Canadian Passport.

Your plan is sound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.