Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do you need to retake your driving test?????

Do you need to retake your driving test?????

Old Sep 14th 2004, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough
Default Do you need to retake your driving test?????

Can anyone help me with the following questions?:

1) Do you need to take a driving test (in Ontario) if you move to Canada and already hold a full UK Licenece?
2) How does the Tax/Mot system work in Canada, is it the same as in the UK??
Thanks in advance for your help.........

3)Just thought of some more questions, if you get accepted, where do you have to go to pick your Visa's up, and when you have your Visa's, is there a time limit in which you need to depert the UK?.
4) What/where is the best way to go around looking for work, I wouldn't estimate leaving until around the summer of next year (pending being accepted) so can't look intil nearerthe time, and will be looking around a place caled Barrie which is about a hours drive north of Toronto.
My Immigration Lawyer runs a "intence job search program" (god bless him), but as you would expect, this also comes at a cost ............

Last edited by weener; Sep 14th 2004 at 7:53 pm. Reason: One more question
Old Sep 14th 2004, 8:14 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you need to retake your driving test?????

Originally Posted by weener

1) Do you need to take a driving test (in Ontario) if you move to Canada and already hold a full UK Licenece?
Thanks in advance for your help.........

3)Just thought of some more questions, if you get accepted, where do you have to go to pick your Visa's up, and when you have your Visa's, is there a time limit in which you need to depert the UK?.
4) What/where is the best way to go around looking for work, I wouldn't estimate leaving until around the summer of next year (pending being accepted) so can't look intil nearerthe time, and will be looking around a place caled Barrie which is about a hours drive north of Toronto.
My Immigration Lawyer runs a "intence job search program" (god bless him), but as you would expect, this also comes at a cost ............

1) Yes, but I think you have a time period during which you can drive with your UK license. Try the web page of the Dept. of motor vehicals or whatever it is called in ontario

2) not sure what your question is

3) you get the visa from the embassy where you applied and it is usualy valid for 1 year after the medical or as long as your passport, whatever the shorter.

4) try workopolis or monster or do a search for headhunters that specialize in your field of work. Usualy any headhunter or job search program that lets you pay up front is a scam.

Hope this helps
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

dave_topley is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Do you need to retake your driving test?????

As from March this year a UK Driving Licence can be swapped for an Ontario Driving licence. The only test required is an eyesight test.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:55 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

1) Do you need to take a driving test (in Ontario) if you move to Canada and already hold a full UK Licenece?.
No, you can swap licenses now, since march.
Thanks in advance for your help......... .
There is no MOT, but if you sell a vehicle you need to get it safety inspected before it can be transfered as roadworthy, so as a buyer, you are looking for a "safetied" vehicle, not an "as is". There are biannual emmisions tests though on vehicles older than 3 years, but its relatively cheap to get tested (~$40) so no problem if you pass..if you fail, then you need to fix the problem, and thats $$$, other wise you will not be able to renew your sticker...see below

Road tax consists of stickers for your license plates (plate stays with the owner, not the vehicle, as a new resident you will need to get new plates, but car dealers will take care of this for you if you dont want to do it) sticker cost ~$80 per year, comes up on your Birthday...Nice Dont remember what plates cost, its been a while. You also need to renew your license every 5 years, cost a bit more than the vehicle sticker IIRC.
Need to land within 12 months of medical, although due to the backup there is a contingency to this now I think. Typically you mail your PP to wherever they tell you to mail it.

Barries a nice area, if a bit snowy. See the canadian lifestyle forum here for numerous gos at answering this time honoured question. Short answer is Network Network Network, but it depends what you are looking for. Canada is very much a case of who you know, not what you know. Persistance and patience is also important, as it is in the UK. I'm a bit allarmed you are halfway through the immigration process, and are only just asking about this! "Canadian experience" catch 22 puts a lot of would be immigrants off, and Canada is notouriously hard for a newcommer to get a decent job in "straight off the boat" because of this.

Good Luck

Iain

Last edited by iaink; Sep 15th 2004 at 6:00 am.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by iaink
No, you can swap licenses now, since march.

There is no MOT, but if you sell a vehicle you need to get it safety inspected before it can be transfered as roadworthy, so as a buyer, you are looking for a "safetied" vehicle, not an "as is". There are biannual emmisions tests though on vehicles older than 3 years, but its relatively cheap to get tested (~$40) so no problem if you pass..if you fail, then you need to fix the problem, and thats $$$, other wise you will not be able to renew your sticker...see below

Road tax consists of stickers for your license plates (plate stays with the owner, not the vehicle, as a new resident you will need to get new plates, but car dealers will take care of this for you if you dont want to do it) sticker cost ~$80 per year, comes up on your Birthday...Nice Dont remember what plates cost, its been a while. You also need to renew your license every 5 years, cost a bit more than the vehicle sticker IIRC.

Need to land within 12 months of medical, although due to the backup there is a contingency to this now I think. Typically you mail your PP to wherever they tell you to mail it.

Barries a nice area, if a bit snowy. See the canadian lifestyle forum here for numerous gos at answering this time honoured question. Short answer is Network Network Network, but it depends what you are looking for. Canada is very much a case of who you know, not what you know. Persistance and patience is also important, as it is in the UK. I'm a bit allarmed you are halfway through the immigration process, and are only just asking about this! "Canadian experience" catch 22 puts a lot of would be immigrants off, and Canada is notouriously hard for a newcommer to get a decent job in "straight off the boat" because of this.

Good Luck

Iain
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP...ITS BEEN VERY USEFUL
Old Sep 16th 2004, 3:15 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

If you don't mind me asking Weener; what category are you going in on and what is your timeline? Just interesting to everyone that is all.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
If you don't mind me asking Weener; what category are you going in on and what is your timeline? Just interesting to everyone that is all.
I'm going in under the "skilled worker" catagory. My Occupation is a Manufacturing Engineer working on Injection Moulding M/c's and if by "timeline" you mean the length of time I'm expecting to hear an answer, I've beed advised around 9-15 Months by my Lawyer, but whist chatting with a few people on hear, I believe it could be quite a bit longer .