Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do you need Goods to Follow List when applying for TWP at POE?

Wikiposts

Do you need Goods to Follow List when applying for TWP at POE?

Old May 10th 2011, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice
Default Do you need Goods to Follow List when applying for TWP at POE?

Can anyone advise whether you need to supply a goods to follow list when applying for a TWP at POE?

My husband is travelling out on Sunday but me and our daughters are not going for another 2 months.

My husband just raised a valid point, his job offer is only valid for 12 months, so he is only going to get a TWP for 12 months. Whilst our plan is to apply for the AINP after 6 months my husband obviously cannot say that to immigration as they want to be sure you are going to leave after 12 months. By supplying a goods to follow list are they going to question why we are taking everything if we are only staying for 12 months?

Is it a catch 22 situation, you won't get in without the goods to follow list but you just have to be clever as to how you answer the query if it is raised?

Thanks
Old May 10th 2011, 8:12 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you need Goods to Follow List when applying for TWP at POE?

Originally Posted by Smudger75
Can anyone advise whether you need to supply a goods to follow list when applying for a TWP at POE?

My husband is travelling out on Sunday but me and our daughters are not going for another 2 months.

My husband just raised a valid point, his job offer is only valid for 12 months, so he is only going to get a TWP for 12 months. Whilst our plan is to apply for the AINP after 6 months my husband obviously cannot say that to immigration as they want to be sure you are going to leave after 12 months. By supplying a goods to follow list are they going to question why we are taking everything if we are only staying for 12 months?

Is it a catch 22 situation, you won't get in without the goods to follow list but you just have to be clever as to how you answer the query if it is raised?

Thanks
In a word - NO.
And YES, hes, he can say that to immigration! There is no problem with them knowing that you intend to apply for PR via PNP. That is exactly what my husband did (well, as FSW) and what lots of people do if they are offered a job. They get their LMO and TWP at POE because it is the quickest way to get started out there. I mean, he is taking you and the kids, isn't he? I would think relocating your whole family would be a bit of a hint to them that he is intending to say more than a year! They are not stupid at border control
If you are a TWP you do not actually need a GTF list to ship your goods.
Our case fairly common, I think.
My husband went to B.C last August and on TWP and didn't take much stuff. Even though we were planning to apply for FSW Cat 2 was soon as he got there (which we did), we wanted to make sure everything was going to work out before we committed to shipping all our worldly goods. Now we are satisfied that it is a good move, we are moving our home contents.
So, he didn't present a GTF list when he landed and got his TWP at POE for obvious reasons - he didn't know whether he would actually stay beyond the year and if he did stay, what or how much we might want to ship when the time came. We had no idea what house we were going to end up in, what Canadian furniture cost or if we would like it.....There just wasn't enough time for us to make all those decisions before he went over, so any GTF list would have been hopelessly inaccurate anyway.
Many people going on TWP are in a similar position and it doesn't cause them a problem at immigration. Your shippers or you should make an inventory of the things you are shipping and that is what you present to collect the stuff at the other end.
If you stay in the UK while your PR is processed, obviously you have no excuse for an inaccurate GTF, as you have landed specifically to activate your PR status and so you should have made all those decisions in advance!
Immigration recognise that there are different circumstances and in your position you have nothing to worry about.