Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do you have to be a Qualified Accountant to gain a PR visa?

Do you have to be a Qualified Accountant to gain a PR visa?

Old Jan 17th 2008, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

angel659 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you have to be a Qualified Accountant to gain a PR visa?

Hi

My husband is a qualified by experience Accountant and is currently studying his first part of CIMA. I would like to move out in Canada in the shortest way possible.

I have read the visa processing times without the PNP is 3-4 years. My daughter is already 8. I am worried about her education. If my husband tries to get a job for an Accountant can get a visa without his full studies? It looks as though the job on the NOC list mentions qualifications. However it appears that Australia would allow him in being a part-qualfiied accountant. As he could gain a CMA being part qualified.

Are the visa requests done on individuality or is it system controlled. That you need to tick all boxes.

I am really confused and eager to get out there. Another reason I am desperate to start my nursing as well. I dont want to start my nursing in the UK and then have to either convert when I am out there or leave half way over here. I think it would be better for me to do my training in Canada than over here.

Many thanks.

Any advice would be welcomed.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you have to be a Qualified Accountant to gain a PR visa?

Unfortunately as I understand it - (I am AAT and currently studying for cima) the qualification is not recognised and exams have to be sat again. I am sure if I am wrong someone will put me right though.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

angel659 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats what we have heard as well. My husband is studying CIMA Stage 1 something like that. Not sure where he will stand. Whether it is any point him studying his CIMA and then converting to Canadian qualifications. I really dont know. This is where I am confused.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all

Can you not apply for PR with you as the main person? Have you tried one of the websites which offer free testing to see if you have enough points?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angel659
Hi

My husband is a qualified by experience Accountant and is currently studying his first part of CIMA. I would like to move out in Canada in the shortest way possible.

I have read the visa processing times without the PNP is 3-4 years. My daughter is already 8. I am worried about her education. If my husband tries to get a job for an Accountant can get a visa without his full studies? It looks as though the job on the NOC list mentions qualifications. However it appears that Australia would allow him in being a part-qualfiied accountant. As he could gain a CMA being part qualified.
Has your husband got a university degree (any subject?)
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold

Morning all,

Haven't been on here for ages. I am CIMA qualified and moved here in August. I called the CMA when I got here to discuss how to gain the CMA accreditation. There were some rules around when I qualified but was told that due to the reciprocal agreement with CIMA and CMA I only have to take a Law and a Tax exam to gain CMA. I do believe that you if you have a dregree also that will also help your case.
Obviously, I did not ask about part qualified status but if you can get CIMA qualified before you get over here then that certainly will help your case for CMA accreditation.

Also I found in Alberta that due to the shortage of "skilled and qualified" people, they are ready to accept the CIMA qualification. Not sure how part qualified stacks up here though.

Regards
Alro
Old Jan 19th 2008, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solarfish
Morning all,

Haven't been on here for ages. I am CIMA qualified and moved here in August. I called the CMA when I got here to discuss how to gain the CMA accreditation. There were some rules around when I qualified but was told that due to the reciprocal agreement with CIMA and CMA I only have to take a Law and a Tax exam to gain CMA. I do believe that you if you have a dregree also that will also help your case.
Obviously, I did not ask about part qualified status but if you can get CIMA qualified before you get over here then that certainly will help your case for CMA accreditation.

Also I found in Alberta that due to the shortage of "skilled and qualified" people, they are ready to accept the CIMA qualification. Not sure how part qualified stacks up here though.

Regards
Alro
Hi

My hubby is a ACA (ICEAW) and he also has to pass the two exams which Alro has mentioned - this is called the CARE exam or reciprocity exam.

Best checking with the institute of accountants for the province which you intend to live in to see what their criteria is to swap UK Qualification to the Canadian Designation.

I would say that if you have the necessary experience then you should be able to get a job - most CIMA jobs in Alberta they dont particularly bother about a designation so I am told (unless you are to work in practice).

My hubby works for Meyer Norris Penny LLP who are chartered accountants in Western Canada and they are have recently taken on a UK guy for their Kelowna office. They also have CIMA guys too so may be that would be an idea for you to mail off a CV

Good Luck - it can be done

Gaynor
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

dogboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Solarfish

That's true. My other half is CIMA qualified and she landed a job easy. In fact, she's had lots of calls, so it really does ring true.

FYI - We just received our PR 2 1/2 years after applying for it. She was the principal applicant (though we came over here early on a WP as I got a job).
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

lensgirl is on a distinguished road

Hi

sorry to jump on! I am AAT qualified, will i be able to use this qualification? Im not interested in doing CIMA so dont want to do any more exams. (Not over here anyway, i dont mind in Canada)
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:22 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Short answer:
No, you don't need to be qualified.

Long answer:
To qualify under skilled worker, you need at least 1 years work in a job with NOC (National Occupational Classification) skill level O, A or B.

This will help you work out if you qualify:
Matrix of NOC skill levels
Business, Finance & Admin Classifications

On top of this you'll need to reach the minimum points requirement of 67.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:26 am
Just Joined

chri1143 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I'm 28 and am thinking about moving to Canada. I've been to Toronto and Vancouver for holidays and loved both (maybe Toronto a tad more). I have friends in both cities. I've got 6 years accountancy/audit experience (recently UK tax experience -useless i know ) and will be getting my Chartered Accountancy (ICAEW) qualification this summer. I've got 3 years university experience (maths/Oxford). Looking at the regional occuaptions under pressure for BC shows audit and accountancy people are needed. I think I'm right in saying the quickest way to to PR is getting a TWP. I'd like to get out there asap on the basis that I'd have to take the CARE exams and would have to start at the bottom. Question is how do I get a TWP? Should I email companies and do a reccie in the summer to try and do some interviews? Jobs advertised on the internet state at applicants already need work permits. Thanks.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:27 am
Just Joined

chri1143 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chri1143
Hi. I'm 28 and am thinking about moving to Canada. I've been to Toronto and Vancouver for holidays and loved both (maybe Toronto a tad more). I have friends in both cities. I've got 6 years accountancy/audit experience (recently UK tax experience -useless i know ) and will be getting my Chartered Accountancy (ICAEW) qualification this summer. I've got 3 years university experience (maths/Oxford). Looking at the regional occuaptions under pressure for BC shows audit and accountancy people are needed. I think I'm right in saying the quickest way to to PR is getting a TWP. I'd like to get out there asap on the basis that I'd have to take the CARE exams and would have to start at the bottom. Question is how do I get a TWP? Should I email companies and do a reccie in the summer to try and do some interviews? Jobs advertised on the internet state at applicants already need work permits. Thanks.
No idea how i missed BUNAC Can I apply for PR in Canada when on the BUNAC visa and if so will it be quick to process?
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chri1143
No idea how i missed BUNAC Can I apply for PR in Canada when on the BUNAC visa
Yes but only on an "outside country" basis.