Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do we need to take COPR if landing as tourists?

Do we need to take COPR if landing as tourists?

Old May 1st 2012, 5:24 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of
Default Do we need to take COPR if landing as tourists?

Hi,
We are going to BC on Friday for 22 days, but are not "landing" and activating visas on a one-way trip until Sept 8th.
We have Visa's in our passports, so my questions is, we don't need to take the COPR document if we are landing as tourists, do we?
Have decided not to land as PR's on this trip, purely due to goods lists issues which I don't have time to sort until I book the shipping company and we are actually packing up for good. Also, if I have got this wrong, please feel free to point this out to me too

Thanks! Katie
Old May 1st 2012, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we need to take COPR if landing as tourists?

No you dont need to take the COPR forms as you are not going to be landed.
Just explain that you are only visiting and that you will be landing before the PR visa expires. No lists of goods will be required this way.
Old May 1st 2012, 10:43 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No you dont need to take the COPR forms as you are not going to be landed.
Just explain that you are only visiting and that you will be landing before the PR visa expires. No lists of goods will be required this way.
Thanks very much!
Old May 7th 2012, 2:10 am
Outsyder Adventurer

Hi, we are currently here, in BC and wanted to report back with a little trauma that we had around this issue of landing.

We queued up to go through The CBSA check with our form that we filled in on the plane. After 45 mins in a huge line, we get to the Officer who asks us what we are doing for 22 days and as she's listening, she's flicking through my passport and sees the visa. Asks about it and we tell her we're activating it in Sept when we land, but this time we're here as tourists.

She quickly gets up and speaks to someone else and comes back. She says that we must land today and why weren't we doing this anyway. I explained that this was due to my understanding of the Goods to follow list that was needed. She said well not necessarily, or similar. She asked for the COPR doc and I said I didn't have it and she looked at us like we were stupid. I explained that I didn't want it to get lost, stolen or damaged on our trip as tourists so I didn't bring it. She said the visas were one use visas and we must land today and we must go to Immigration. She asked about what we would be doing as tourists, if we were moving over. She didn't seem to believe that we would be holidaying.

She put a big red cross through our forms and sent us to Immigration.

So I was a little panicky by this point. Not to mention jet lagged and hot and thirsty and weighed down with stuff. Also anxious that our friends have been waiting an hour for us, by this point.

So we go round the corner and see another huge line up and I feel like crying at this point. Husband is directed to go get our bags from carousel. I follow the sign for New Immigrants which takes me to a nice looking, smiley woman. I explained quickly the situation and she took everything from me and went to front of queue to speak to another stern looking CBSA officer, who then calls me over, then tells me to wait, then calls me over again.

She asks again why are we not landing and where is the COPR. I explained about the goods list that I wasn't going to compile until I booked the shipping company to do it, again she shook her head and indicated that the GTF list wasn't that important. I explained that our holiday was booked in Sept...well before we got our visa's and that I had booked our one way flight for Sept '12. She asked what the purpose of our trip was, so I said, seeing friends, fishing, archery, going camping for 6 days...she then interrupted and said, "don't work, don't study and leave in 22 days" and thrusting passports back at us, waving us away.

Awful experience, made worse by two CBSA officers who came across as intolerant, stern and rude. Is that necessary? I know they have a job to do but can't you be pleasant? I arrest people everyday of my working life and I don't deal with my "customers" in a manner such as that! If I did, I'd be fighting in lumps every day!

Anyway, we weren't doing anything wrong and had no intention of working. I guess if they needed anything more, I could've got the computer out and shown them our Sept flight booking confirmation and evidence that I was returning to work in the UK on 29th May.

Can't wait to meet them again in September!!

Katie
Old May 7th 2012, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misskatpaw
Hi, we are currently here, in BC and wanted to report back with a little trauma that we had around this issue of landing.

We queued up to go through The CBSA check with our form that we filled in on the plane. After 45 mins in a huge line, we get to the Officer who asks us what we are doing for 22 days and as she's listening, she's flicking through my passport and sees the visa. Asks about it and we tell her we're activating it in Sept when we land, but this time we're here as tourists.

She quickly gets up and speaks to someone else and comes back. She says that we must land today and why weren't we doing this anyway. I explained that this was due to my understanding of the Goods to follow list that was needed. She said well not necessarily, or similar. She asked for the COPR doc and I said I didn't have it and she looked at us like we were stupid. I explained that I didn't want it to get lost, stolen or damaged on our trip as tourists so I didn't bring it. She said the visas were one use visas and we must land today and we must go to Immigration. She asked about what we would be doing as tourists, if we were moving over. She didn't seem to believe that we would be holidaying.

So I was a little panicky by this point. Not to mention jet lagged and hot and thirsty and weighed down with stuff. Also anxious that our friends have been waiting an hour for us, by this point.

So we go round the corner and see another huge line up and I feel like crying at this point. Husband is directed to go get our bags from carousel. I follow the sign for New Immigrants which takes me to a nice looking, smiley woman. I explained quickly the situation and she took everything from me and went to front of queue to speak to another stern looking CBSA officer, who then calls me over, then tells me to wait, then calls me over again.

She asks again why are we not landing and where is the COPR. I explained about the goods list that I wasn't going to compile until I booked the shipping company to do it, again she shook her head and indicated that the GTF list wasn't that important. I explained that our holiday was booked in Sept...well before we got our visa's and that I had booked our one way flight for Sept '12. She asked what the purpose of our trip was, so I said, seeing friends, fishing, archery, going camping for 6 days...she then interrupted and said, "don't work, don't study and leave in 22 days" and thrusting passports back at us, waving us away.

Awful experience, made worse by two CBSA officers who came across as intolerant, stern and rude. Is that necessary? I know they have a job to do but can't you be pleasant? I arrest people everyday of my working life and I don't deal with my "customers" in a manner such as that! If I did, I'd be fighting in lumps every day!

Anyway, we weren't doing anything wrong and had no intention of working. I guess if they needed anything more, I could've got the computer out and shown them our Sept flight booking confirmation and evidence that I was returning to work in the UK on 29th May.

Katie
A case of right hand left hand. Not all CBSA officers working are cross trained in performing both Immigration & Customs procedures however this is going to be the NEW one stop fits all. This will not be achieved until all of the legacy Customs & Immigration officers have either been trained or have retired. Dont worry this happens on a daily basis all over Canada.
Would you care to share which airport you had problems with?
Old May 7th 2012, 2:37 am
Outsyder Adventurer

A case of right hand left hand. Not all CBSA officers working are cross trained in performing both Immigration & Customs procedures however this is going to be the NEW one stop fits all. This will not be achieved until all of the legacy Customs & Immigration officers have either been trained or have retired. Dont worry this happens on a daily basis all over Canada.
Would you care to share which airport you had problems with?
Hiya,

Yes sure, it was Vancouver.
I see that CBSA are currently recruiting too! Hmmm, I'm going to need a job pretty soon
I hope I didn't offend by describing your colleagues in the way I did.

Katie
Old May 7th 2012, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hiya,

Yes sure, it was Vancouver.
I see that CBSA are currently recruiting too! Hmmm, I'm going to need a job pretty soon
I hope I didn't offend by describing your colleagues in the way I did.

Katie
Not at all that was nothing compared to some of the things I have been called on here
Isnt it strange that the 2 x busiest airports in Canada seem to get the most complaints from their own people living in those areas mmmm makes you wonder if some of the people doing the complaining are no different to the officers they are making complaints about?
There again its all about them.
There again there are those in my job who really need to go on a basic dealing with people course but fooled the recruiters who hired them that they were suitable for the job.
Old May 7th 2012, 3:24 am
Outsyder Adventurer

Not at all that was nothing compared to some of the things I have been called on here
Isnt it strange that the 2 x busiest airports in Canada seem to get the most complaints from their own people living in those areas mmmm makes you wonder if some of the people doing the complaining are no different to the officers they are making complaints about?
There again its all about them.
There again there are those in my job who really need to go on a basic dealing with people course but fooled the recruiters who hired them that they were suitable for the job.
A thick skin is always an asset in our jobs!
Which is the other busiest airport? Do you mean that Canadian citizens do most complaining about the CBSA officers?
Old May 7th 2012, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A thick skin is always an asset in our jobs!
Which is the other busiest airport? Do you mean that Canadian citizens do most complaining about the CBSA officers?
Toronto is the busiest then Vancouver & Montreal.
The vast majority of complaints CBSA receive are from its own citizens and PRs who complain about the Customs procedures rather than the Immigration procedures as they are rarely sent into Immigration.
A few foreign nationals do complain but there are always 3 sides to a complaint. Theirs, the officers and what actually happened.
Old May 7th 2012, 3:46 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Katie
Welcome to Canada
Old May 7th 2012, 12:36 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Welcome to Canada
Haha, cheers.

We have just received an ecas tracker notification today saying "A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision"

We have visas's in our passports and COPR's. What does this mean? My mind boggles and I start worrying about what happened the other day at the airport
Old May 10th 2012, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

CanadianDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

Crikey, what a bloody nightmare! There is no excuse for not having manners and have expereinced many miserable people at airports....perhaps that is part of the job spec!!

I hope you are now chilling with a molson

Oh we had decision made.....nothing to worry about i think they are just updating!!

Anna
Old May 10th 2012, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

She quickly gets up and speaks to someone else and comes back. She says that we must land today and why weren't we doing this anyway. I explained that this was due to my understanding of the Goods to follow list that was needed. She said well not necessarily, or similar.

She asks again why are we not landing and where is the COPR. I explained about the goods list that I wasn't going to compile until I booked the shipping company to do it, again she shook her head and indicated that the GTF list wasn't that important.
Gosh, that's completely the opposite experience I had when landing. The Immigration officer at Peace Arch was very worried that I hadn't bothered with a goods to follow list and re-confirmed with me that I still wanted to land without it, saying that if I didn't do it it's very risky as I may get taxed. I sent stuff over with FedEx before and managed to get the tax removed (as personal belongings) so I said that I was fine not doing it, though he gave me some time to consider.

It does sound very unprofessional and that there was a real lack of understanding. Guess those folks at the airport are a lot less patient than the ones at the land border crossing.