Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do we need a LMO before applying to BC pnp on an IEC?

Do we need a LMO before applying to BC pnp on an IEC?

Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do we need a LMO before applying to BC pnp on an IEC?

Hi

Myself and my other half are currently living in BC on an IEC visa. Things are going really well for my boyfriend at work and he's currently chatting to his employer about going through the BC PNP. It would be through the semi skilled stream.

So my question I've looked at the PNP forms and I'm unsure whether his employer would need to get a LMO before we could proceed with pnp?
Ive read on this forum that with an open work permit issued off the back of a study permit that no LMO is needed if you get a job offer and go through the PNP. I also get the impression from reading posts of people in similar positions who were on the previous Bunac or current IEC that they too have not needed to apply for a LMO first.

I'm presuming that it would be one less hoop and less hassle for his work if they don't need to get a LMO but am not sure? Just trying to get the process straight in my head first since a lot of the questions on the PNP forms about efforts to recruit and LMO numbers don't apply at the moment since the boyfriend got his job on an open work permit.
I am aware that with the semi skilled stream his employer is supposed to make continued efforts to recruit whilst the nomination is ongoing.

Anyone gone through the semi skilled route who can offer advice?

Thanks so much
Old Jun 9th 2012, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future
Default Re: Do we need a LMO before applying to BC pnp on an IEC?

I've not gone through that route but according to the semi skilled page of BC's PNP - there is no mention of an LMO being required.

http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigrat...evel/who.page?

The only mention of LMO is in regards to the wage being earnt must match or exceed that in the employment contract. As your BF was employed without an LMO as part of IEC, then that's not relevant either.

Good luck!
Old Jun 9th 2012, 4:07 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tee1

So my question I've looked at the PNP forms and I'm unsure whether his employer would need to get a LMO before we could proceed with pnp?
No. Your boyfriend and his employer apply jointly to the PNP and, if he is accepted, they will send him a letter of nomination. This letter can be used instead of an LMO to apply for a temporary work permit whilst his PR application is being processed.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info guys. That's good news as like I said its one less hoop to jump through.

Another couple of question's if someone can help though.
On the guaranteed job offer form it asks for a recruitment summery, now how would his employer go about completing this? I mean it asks how long the position has been vacant for but my boyfriend is currently employed in the job that the nomination would be for.
The job offer form also asks for name of the top Canadian that applied etc and I know that my boyfriends employer's doesn't have records of all the people that initially applied/interviewed when the job was advertised and my other half hired. Does his employer need to do another recruitment campaign so that they can provide this ?

To prove how my boyfriend is going to be a significant economic benefit to BC is that a case my other halfs employer writing a letter saying how they have trouble recruiting and keeping staff. Should the employer be including a detailed description of their recruitment efforts to show a critical skill shortage? Or is that not needed

Again thankyou for any help that you can give

employer doesn't have records of who they interview
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info guys. That's good news as like I said its one less hoop to jump through.

Another couple of question's if someone can help though.
On the guaranteed job offer form it asks for a recruitment summery, now how would his employer go about completing this? I mean it asks how long the position has been vacant for but my boyfriend is currently employed in the job that the nomination would be for.
The job offer form also asks for name of the top Canadian that applied etc and I know that my boyfriends employer's doesn't have records of all the people that initially applied/interviewed when the job was advertised and my other half hired. Does his employer need to do another recruitment campaign so that they can provide this ?
Have they updated the form recently? Mine didn't ask for any names of applicants, just the reason that the top Canadian wasn't chosen. I think my employer just had to tick "Did not pass interview" or similar and then give a one-sentence explanation. They can then explain in more detail in thier nomination letter.

The "time position has been vacant" was the amount of time they spent recruiting before hiring me.

Surely the employer can dig back through thier emails etc. and get a vague idea of how many applicants they had? If it's a big company they will probably have some kind of HR database that this would be entered into.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrWindUpBird
Have they updated the form recently? Mine didn't ask for any names of applicants, just the reason that the top Canadian wasn't chosen. I think my employer just had to tick "Did not pass interview" or similar and then give a one-sentence explanation. They can then explain in more detail in thier nomination letter.

The "time position has been vacant" was the amount of time they spent recruiting before hiring me.

Surely the employer can dig back through their emails etc. and get a vague idea of how many applicants they had? If it's a big company they will probably have some kind of HR database that this would be entered into.
Hey thanks for your answer its a big help. For some reason I had it in my head that the employer needed to name the top canadian interviewed but nope as you said just say that they didnt cut the mustard.

Unfortunately no records of who was interviewed. We live in Whistler and my boyfriend was hired at a job fair. Everything went in the bin after. Its a strange recruitment system if you can call it that in Whistler. He was actually hired for one job and has been moved into a new role since people left (same noc though). Everyone quits there job in Whistler after 5 months meaning employers have to recruit again and again which is one of the reasons there keen to keep my boyfriend.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for your answer its a big help. For some reason I had it in my head that the employer needed to name the top canadian interviewed but nope as you said just say that they didnt cut the mustard.

Unfortunately no records of who was interviewed. We live in Whistler and my boyfriend was hired at a job fair. Everything went in the bin after. Its a strange recruitment system if you can call it that in Whistler. He was actually hired for one job and has been moved into a new role since people left (same noc though). Everyone quits there job in Whistler after 5 months meaning employers have to recruit again and again which is one of the reasons there keen to keep my boyfriend.
Oh, that makes sense now! My friend worked at Whistler and went through the same process.

They can probably put in an estimate on the form and explain the process in more detail in the letter. I'm a software engineer, so it was quite easy for them to say exactly what experience I have that the other applicants didn't.