Do we go into hibernation now!!!

Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:42 am
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Do we go into hibernation now!!!

We have just posted off our completed forms. We are both born and bred British citizens who have both lived and worked in the UK all our lives. No criminal records and ample funds. What sort of time line are we looking at as we have a hormonal teenager who is doing his best 'Kevin & Perry' impression at the moment and refusing to go. He's 14, will it be completed by the time he is 16 so he will have to come with us or have we got a major battle on our hands? To all the parents of teenage boys - does it get any better and when do they start to talk in words of more than one 'grunt' again - help !!!!
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we go into hibernation now!!!

The AoR card you'll receive in a month or two should give you some idea of how long you'll be hibernating for. When I applied last year it was claiming 18 months before the initial assessment, I believe they're currently up to 30 months due to the growing backlog of applications.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam/stu
We have just posted off our completed forms. We are both born and bred British citizens who have both lived and worked in the UK all our lives. No criminal records and ample funds. What sort of time line are we looking at as we have a hormonal teenager who is doing his best 'Kevin & Perry' impression at the moment and refusing to go. He's 14, will it be completed by the time he is 16 so he will have to come with us or have we got a major battle on our hands? To all the parents of teenage boys - does it get any better and when do they start to talk in words of more than one 'grunt' again - help !!!!

Hi,

We have a 14 year old son too, but he's eager to go to Canada. On the other hand if he wasn't I wouldn't go on about it too much at this early stage. Have you been on any research trips yet? Maybe that would help win him round? We took our son to a great senior high school back in March and he was so impressed with the facilities/space they had. He didn't want to come back to the UK! Our 12 year old daughter has days when she wants to go, then she doesn't as she's begun secondary school here and has made some good friends. They are both finding the wait a bit of a pain.

Good luck with your application. We've been in the system for 1.5 years now so I would suggest you keep yourselves busy with research and visiting various places in the UK you haven't been to yet Otherwise you could start going :scared: (mad) with the long wait and watching for brown envelopes. I can guarantee that you will develop a new habit of 'Postman Stalking' within the next couple of years
Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:59 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We too have a 14 year old, he is just entering the grunt stage, but I think he won't be as bad as our other one who is now 19 and didn't really come out of his room for about 2 years! Then it was like a butterfly emerging from a chrysalis!!

(He'll kill me for saying that!)

The 14 yr old .... well he's not anti-, but he has the most mixed feelings as he's very sociable and will hate to leave his friends. I was very worried recently when he started a "special" friendship with a young lady, but thankfully this has settled down to just "really good mates" again!! I've assured him that friendships can last many years but if you are "going out" then eventually if/when you break up, not only is there a lot of heartache, but you often lose that friend! I know it's easy to say, but he really does seem to agree!

He is a little gem, but don't tell him I said so!!!

We are so proud of our boys, and the whole family is pulling together towards a new start in a new country!