Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do statistics always speak the truth?

Do statistics always speak the truth?

Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ethan2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do statistics always speak the truth?

I went to the Trackitt forum and calculated the average times taken for PPR, (since medicals were sent) on Excel, for 200 people, upto 25/06/2009.

Following are the results.

Before 01/01/2009 = 154 days on average for PPR
Maximum days taken = 279 days

From 01/01/2009 upto now = 37 days on average for PPR
Maximum days taken = 95 days

From the calculations, it looks like the time taken for PPR (since medicals), have come down significantly!! That means we could expect to get PPR in 37 days on average, after sending medicals (that obviously includes sending police checks, RPRF etc.,) and in any case the time taken for PPR cannot exceed 95 days.

However, 84 people are still pending PPR, among the 200 people and that includes 9 people who applied before 01/01/2009!! The reasons could include any problems with medicals, background checks etc.,

But is it always the case? Do you have experience where you didn't get PPR for more than 95 days, for none of the reasons mentioned above?

Please share your experiences....
Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do statistics always speak the truth?

It will take as long as it takes.

But if you are happier calculating, feel free to carry on - it will pass the time whilst you wait to see how long your particular bit of string is.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

...although now curious what percentage of applicants actually bother to register with trackitt... about 0.05%? or less?
Old Jun 28th 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

we are on there and I plan to keep our timeline up to date

some may not tho, which could skew the overall stats
Old Jun 28th 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Do statistics always speak the truth?

what about the people that do not bother or even do not know about trackitt? there are probably hundreds of people that have applied and do not know or wish to register on such website, so i guess the stats will never be acurate..hope this helps......

MR79
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Who knows, this small sample on trackit could well be representative of the applicants..by some good chance I mean. But then there is ...the average time it takes the the outliers as well. you cant tell where you are until its really over. But I think the general trend is that the processings times have improved (sadly after a lot of applicants have found their professional is not on the list).
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MR79
what about the people that do not bother or even do not know about trackitt? there are probably hundreds of people that have applied and do not know or wish to register on such website, so i guess the stats will never be acurate..hope this helps......

MR79
True. But trackitt represents a sample of applicants. In statistics only samples are analyzed. Here I analyzed 200 applicants, so it's a good sample size.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

londonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of light

Just wanted to point out another flaw in the plan.

Human error....

As a software developer this is one of the primary points of failure when looking at stats issues.

On Trackitt the users have to enter their own timeline often from loose memory. My own PR only took six months and on Trackitt I guessed most of the early dates (as approximations).

I kind of agree with DebbieM. It will and usually does take as long as it takes.

Good luck
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular