Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do Ontario-nominated permenant residents have to live in Ontario for entire life?

Do Ontario-nominated permenant residents have to live in Ontario for entire life?

Old May 1st 2011, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

jinbenard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do Ontario-nominated permenant residents have to live in Ontario for entire life?

Hello,
I am considering Ontario PNP program to become a permanent resident of Canada (under the master's stream of Ontario PNP program).

Somebody told me that if I become a permanent resident of Canada through Ontario PNP (or PNP of any Canadian provinces), I am only obliged to live and work in Ontario (or in the province that nominated me) until I become a Canadian citizen; that is, I am free to live and/or work in anywhere in Canada once I become a Canadian citizen. Is this true?

I guess once I become a Canadian citizen, I am not a Ontario Provincial nominee anymore....but I just want to make it double sure that my friend was right on this... can anyone answer my question plz?

Thanks in advance
Old May 1st 2011, 5:14 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Ontario-nominated permenant residents have to live in Ontario for entire life?

Perhaps this is some condition of PNP, I'm sure others can correct me if I'm wrong, but usually, if you have PR, then you can work ANYWHERE in Canada in any occupation (barring those that require certain security clearance, etc...)

I could see why you'd be bound to the province, as you could get PNP in Ontario, get PR and then bugger off to another Province. To be honest, I don't think that is the case.
Old May 1st 2011, 5:40 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Ontario-nominated permenant residents have to live in Ontario for entire life?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...g+province+pnp
Old May 1st 2011, 7:23 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, that does clear things up and does make sense, if your PNP then you should at least reside in the province you are granted PR in via PNP, and it's then only three years to start the citizenship process, which isn't that long.
Old May 1st 2011, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

jinbenard is an unknown quantity at this point

So once I become a Canadian citizen (after spending 3 years in the province that nominated me), Am I allowed to live and work anywhere in Canada? or will the provincial government track me down and cancel their nomination if I do that?

Thanks
Old May 1st 2011, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Vbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really niceVbomb is just really nice

When you land, if you don't have enough evidence to support that you will reside in the province that nominated you, you might get refused

There's a story from an immigration law office here (can't find the link) A family nominated by Saskatchewan landed via Vancouver with no connection flight ticket and a house already purchased in Vancouver got refused landing and had to reapply for their PR

I don't think you need to be in the province forever for sure you can move in a few years
Old May 1st 2011, 11:13 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Originally Posted by jinbenard
So once I become a Canadian citizen (after spending 3 years in the province that nominated me), Am I allowed to live and work anywhere in Canada? or will the provincial government track me down and cancel their nomination if I do that?

Thanks
Yes, once a citizen you can move about, as you are, presumably, no longer a nominee.
One thing however. It might not be three years before you can do this. Why? well, you need three years (1095 days specifically) in Canada as a PR before you can *apply* for citizenship. Looking here, it seems that it would take from 15 - 19 months at present to become a citizen, if you have a routine application, so you'd be looking at anywhere between a year and a year and a half, so that would be four to four and a half years before you could move around.

Last edited by sharkus; May 1st 2011 at 11:20 pm.
Old May 2nd 2011, 12:31 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would anyone not want to live in Ontario for the rest of their live long days?