Do I tell the truth ???

Old Jun 25th 2008, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

ill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the rough
Default Do I tell the truth ???

Hi you all

I recently applied for my study permit and have received a letter asking me to answer the following questions ....

Why do you wish to study in Canada in the programme which you have been accepted? What is your over all educational goal? Why are you not pursuing a similar programme in your country of residence? How will this programme enhance your employment opportunities in your country of residence? What ties do you have to your country of residence?

Now, the truth is that I have been offered permanent employment here in Canada on the condition that I take and pass the Personal support worker course. That is why I want to study the chosen programme in Canada. My goal is to pass so that I can take that job and in the future go on to do the social service worker programme.

So I'm pretty sure I cant tell immigration all this as I'm supposed to be convincing them that I will leave Canada at the end of my studies

Any suggestions or help ?

Thanks
Old Jun 25th 2008, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Do I tell the truth ???

Originally Posted by ill_only_miss_eastenders
Hi you all

I recently applied for my study permit and have received a letter asking me to answer the following questions ....

Why do you wish to study in Canada in the programme which you have been accepted? What is your over all educational goal? Why are you not pursuing a similar programme in your country of residence? How will this programme enhance your employment opportunities in your country of residence? What ties do you have to your country of residence?

Now, the truth is that I have been offered permanent employment here in Canada on the condition that I take and pass the Personal support worker course. That is why I want to study the chosen programme in Canada. My goal is to pass so that I can take that job and in the future go on to do the social service worker programme.

So I'm pretty sure I cant tell immigration all this as I'm supposed to be convincing them that I will leave Canada at the end of my studies

Any suggestions or help ?

Thanks
I don´t have any experience of this personally, I however would give them some lengthy story of how a degree in the UK isn´t enough to get a good job anymore as UK degree standards are falling.

The course for have been accepted to has a good reutation and the experience of studdying abroad will show a UK prospective employer that you are resourseful independant and willing to go the extra mile to acchieve your goals.

All very good things to add to a future resume.

Oh and ties to UK familly?

Hope this gives you some ideas anyway.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

you don't know what the future holds, if you're not inclined to tell teh truth then i'd simply say that you are increasing your career prospects wiht international experience as well as a higher standard of study.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allicat001
I don´t have any experience of this personally, I however would give them some lengthy story of how a degree in the UK isn´t enough to get a good job anymore as UK degree standards are falling.

The course for have been accepted to has a good reutation and the experience of studdying abroad will show a UK prospective employer that you are resourseful independant and willing to go the extra mile to acchieve your goals.

All very good things to add to a future resume.

Oh and ties to UK familly?

Hope this gives you some ideas anyway.
I told them the truth. That i wanted to studying in canada to get a canadian qualification to improve my chances of getting employment there. We had PR in progress. I sent a sworn thingy at solicitors saying that, and that if I wasnt granted PR nor any other legal means of staying in Canada that I had no intention of staying illegally. I also said that we had a house in UK where we would live if we had to return.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:49 am
plw
9 inch member

plw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud of

Always tell the truth.

It will bite you in the backside at some point further down the road otherwise.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allicat001
Assuming they don't dismiss that as obvious bollocks, why wouldn't they then they'll ask why she doesn't get a degree in Asia or Africa rather than Canada?

(I'd tell the truth.)
Old Jun 26th 2008, 1:02 am
plw
9 inch member

plw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud of

So we are all in agreement TELL THE TRUTH.

Remember: 'the truth is out there'.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
I told them the truth. That i wanted to studying in canada to get a canadian qualification to improve my chances of getting employment there. We had PR in progress.
Having PR in process is a crucial factor. The truth would be relevant to permanent residency/working.

The OP doesn't say whether PR is being applied for, but merely says a job has been offered. Maybe other posts have mentioned the PR side of things, but based on that post alone, it looks like a study permit is the only official issue.

The employment offered might not meet those LMO rules I keep seeing mentioned. In which case, mention of it might not help with a study visa?

I'd always go with the truth and not lying, but maybe one doesn't have to say everything. Much like the earlier suggestions.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Having PR in process is a crucial factor. The truth would be relevant to permanent residency/working.

The OP doesn't say whether PR is being applied for, but merely says a job has been offered. Maybe other posts have mentioned the PR side of things, but based on that post alone, it looks like a study permit is the only official issue.

The employment offered might not meet those LMO rules I keep seeing mentioned. In which case, mention of it might not help with a study visa?

I'd always go with the truth and not lying, but maybe one doesn't have to say everything. Much like the earlier suggestions.
I think it would be hard to convince CIC that its worth travelling to Canada to pay several thousand dollars to study for a job that in Britain needs an NVQ level 2 and pays £7 hour. If you are going to go to the trouble of moving to another country, and spending more than a years salary to train ( fees, living costs etc), then you need to have a good reason for this investment. I imagine thats why they asked.

The prospect of a job is a good reason.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

ill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Guys

I dont have a PR application in process. I would be doing the course and then applying for a work permit and then hopefully put in my application for PR.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ill_only_miss_eastenders
Thanks Guys

I dont have a PR application in process. I would be doing the course and then applying for a work permit and then hopefully put in my application for PR.
Do you have a conditional job offer from these employers? something in writing to show CIC? Otherwise its a risky thing to do anyway, they may change their minds in a year, the situation would be different.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 5:02 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be hard to convince CIC that its worth travelling to Canada to pay several thousand dollars to study for a job that in Britain needs an NVQ level 2 and pays £7 hour. If you are going to go to the trouble of moving to another country, and spending more than a years salary to train ( fees, living costs etc), then you need to have a good reason for this investment. I imagine thats why they asked.

The prospect of a job is a good reason.
That's one way of looking at it. But there are people who study in other countries for no other reason than the experience of living in another country; possibly even staying with family/friends there for the duration.

Foreign students have long since studied at Universities in England with no intention of ever settling there. It works both ways.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's one way of looking at it. But there are people who study in other countries for no other reason than the experience of living in another country; possibly even staying with family/friends there for the duration.

Foreign students have long since studied at Universities in England with no intention of ever settling there. It works both ways.
Thats true, but those students dont usually take vocational courses, or ones that aren't recognised internationally. They also tend to be not long out of school and single. I don't remember the OPs circumstances to say whether this applies.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:04 am
Oscar nominated

I don't remember the OPs circumstances to say whether this applies.
I don't know them either. I was allowing for more than one possibility because of that.

Sorry...I don't mean that to sound like a dig at you.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 7:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be hard to convince CIC that its worth travelling to Canada to pay several thousand dollars to study for a job that in Britain needs an NVQ level 2 and pays £7 hour.
That may be the case but they gave my OH a study permit to take the chef's course at the George Brown community college despite her already having a masters degree, so they're pretty lax about wanting there to be an obvious career path associated with the course of study.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.