Do i require a visa?

Old May 25th 2011, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

jamesurfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do i require a visa?

Hi,
My girlfriend has a Bunac visa for Canada. Im looking at moving with her to Canada for the year which could become 2 years if she applies for an IEC visa.
I actually work abroad mainly in Africa, Europe, Asia. So i would only becoming back to Canada as a "visitor" i would never be staying more than 180 days (the time allowed for a British passport holder) as I would normally be going back to work every 6-10 weeks.
Because im not working in Canada and i wouldn't be staying more than the 180 days which you are allowed on a British passport, would i require any type of visa, such as a multi entry visa (if they do such a thing).
Thanks in advance.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do i require a visa?

Originally Posted by jamesurfer
Hi,
My girlfriend has a Bunac visa for Canada. Im looking at moving with her to Canada for the year which could become 2 years if she applies for an IEC visa.
I actually work abroad mainly in Africa, Europe, Asia. So i would only becoming back to Canada as a "visitor" i would never be staying more than 180 days (the time allowed for a British passport holder) as I would normally be going back to work every 6-10 weeks.
Because im not working in Canada and i wouldn't be staying more than the 180 days which you are allowed on a British passport, would i require any type of visa, such as a multi entry visa (if they do such a thing).
Thanks in advance.
You say you work 'mainly' abroad, so just to confirm, but you won't be working at all in Canada?

If that's the case, you wouldn't need any visa, but having said that if immigration officers think you are trying to live in Canada, rather than just visit, they may refuse you entry. There's no hard and fast rule, but if you keep returning regularly, they may get suspicious and deny you entry at some point so you'll need to be prepared for that. You're also supposed to maintain ties to the UK whilst on a visitor visa, so will you be able to prove that if asked?

You say you'll be going to work every 6-10 weeks, but how long will you be away working for each time? If it's only a week or two then I think you'll have trouble, but if it's several months then you should be fine.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, I've got an address in the UK, plus the company i work for is UK based, we don't have any work in Canada or the USA. I normally work for 4-6 weeks then will have about the same time off.
I was going to take with me a copy of my employment documents, plus UK bank details just in case customs start asking, plus i will always have a return ticket to the UK with me.
Just don't want to get caught out by something which i could have sorted before we leave.
Thanks again.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:09 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Are you in a position to get your own IEC permit? At least then they wouldn't mind you coming and going for a year. Although of course they theoretically could still deny entry, much less likely though.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi BTJ,
Thanks for the reply, I turn 32 in June so i suppose its too late?
My thinking was that because I'm lucky enough to have a job where my employer doesn't mind me living/staying abroad and the fact that i would not be looking for any Canadian employment, that it would be alright.
Thanks
Old May 25th 2011, 7:36 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jamesurfer
Hi BTJ,
Thanks for the reply, I turn 32 in June so i suppose its too late?
My thinking was that because I'm lucky enough to have a job where my employer doesn't mind me living/staying abroad and the fact that i would not be looking for any Canadian employment, that it would be alright.
Thanks
Ah well, too late - unless you happen to be living in Ireland as an Irish citizen, they get to have IEC until 35. As christmasoompa said it is a pot luck with entering as a visitor where you can increase you odds by appearing as touristy as possible, and decrease them by spending too much time in Canada.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again,
I'm hoping that they won't ask to many questions.....
Plus by taking proof of employment, UK address etc that will be enough evidence for them.
Thanks again, you've been very helpful.