Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do I need to get UK police checks for citizenship application?

Do I need to get UK police checks for citizenship application?

Old Aug 1st 2020, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

7InBC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need to get UK police checks for citizenship application?

Hi all,
I am hoping you can settle a difference of interpretation fro me. My family are about to start the paperwork for our citizenship application (yay!). We activated our PR in Oct of 2015, spent a week in Canada before returning to the UK for 331 days to finalise our affairs. We settled permanently in Sept of 2016. Currently, we have a little over 1400 days of residence in Canada.

The citizenship application states that if we have spent 183 or more consecutive days outside of Canada in the last four years we should obtain police checks to cover that period from the relevant country. If I count back from today's date, only 50 of those days spent in the UK fall within the last four years, therefore we shouldn't, theoretically, require police checks. However, as we were absent for 331 days in total my husband is uncertain if the total trip length will be more relevant.

If it weren't for the fact that we want to submit the application before my son turns 18 and has to sit the test (not to mention costs more!) it would be worth waiting to be certain.

Hoping someone can referee for us on this one, thanks in advance!
Clare