Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do I need to get RCMP fingerprints?

Do I need to get RCMP fingerprints?

Old Jul 8th 2004, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Shorty21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need to get RCMP fingerprints?

I am in Canada applying for PR under family class. My Canadian husband is sponsoring me and my children. The application was received in October and we received our first stage approval in April.
I have been reading on this site that many people are being asked for fingerprints for RCMP security checks.
Will I be asked for these or not and will this add another 5 or 6 months to my processing time? I submitted my police certificates with my application for the country I lived in for the past 10 years (Rep. of Ireland).
Another question is does everyone receive an interview waiver if you do not need an interview or do they just not tell you? We have not received any requests from them for anything and when I called CIC Vegreville they told us that they are in the process of security and background checks and that things should be finished completely by the end of August, however, they told us the exact same thing last month and said that it would be finished by the end of July.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

MarkS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do I need to get RCMP fingerprints?

I'm no expert but presumably because you applied to Vegreville you are applying from within Canada. If you have been in Canada for 6 months or longer you will be required to submit fingerprints to the RCMP. The latest reports suggest that the processing of your fingerprints can take up to (an possibly longer than) 150 days.

I am also presuming that, and i'm sure Mr Miller will correct me if i'm wrong but if you are in Canada and the length of your PR processing makes it that you have been here longer than 6 months then it is likely that they will ask for fingerprints.

Not so long ago someone got their AIP but were told to get fingerprinted as they had now been in Canada longer than 6 months, this added a lot of waiting time.
Here is the link to the message: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=210137

Hope this helps

MarkS
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your helpful reply.
We were in Canada for 4 months when we sent the application in to Vegreville. When we received our AIP in April this year I had been here for 11 months however, nothing was mentioned in the AIP letter about having RCMP fingerprints. But after reading the link you gave me people were asked to get fingerprints in their AIP letter.
I'm getting worried that everybody on this board seems to receive requests for RCMP fingerprints at some point yet we have been here now a total of 14 months and they haven't asked us does anyone know why or what's happening???
One more question. I have a daughter with me who was over the age of 18 at the time of applying so she had to fill in a separate application form. She'd been here on a student visa since the age of 17. Will she need to get RCMP clearance or is it just the main applicant?
thanks
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine how surprised I was to just find the above link!! That was written in Feb on another BB... think it was google. Was a wee bit disappointed at the time - to say the least.

We are still waiting through the RCMP fingerprint check and it's now going on 5 months since submitted. We can't do anything but wait.

Live and learn....

(Oggy)
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Oggy,
Were you asked to submit RCMP fingerprints and if so when were you asked (with your AIP?).
I haven't been asked yet and am wondering if I will be at all.
Thanks
Old Jul 8th 2004, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Ummm.... actually the M&M that is referred to in the above linked thread is us *blushes*. Hubby was asked for fingerprints in the letter he rec'd at AIP. I can't honestly say that you will have to as well. You'd have to ask someone like one of the consultants here on the boards. I haven't quite figured out what makes some applications complete in less than 7 months... but it's certainly not ours!!

You're welcome to PM me if you like.

Cheers.

(Oggy)

Originally posted by Shorty21
Oggy,
Were you asked to submit RCMP fingerprints and if so when were you asked (with your AIP?).
I haven't been asked yet and am wondering if I will be at all.
Thanks
Old Jul 8th 2004, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Does everyone who is applying from within Canada and who has been here for more than 6 months have to get RCMP fingerprints taken?
And if so why haven't I been asked for them?
Expert opinions anyone?
Old Aug 19th 2004, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

charmer6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey shorty,

i have been in canada for 3+ years and applied for PR in buffalo. I havent been asked to submit finger prints.

I am also wondering the same thing !

I also got the IA recently.

[email protected]

Originally Posted by Shorty21
Does everyone who is applying from within Canada and who has been here for more than 6 months have to get RCMP fingerprints taken?
And if so why haven't I been asked for them?
Expert opinions anyone?
Old Aug 19th 2004, 3:40 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

It is clear that you will very likely be asked to supply an RCMPP fingerprint criminal record check. Do it now instead of hoping that you won't have to. That is highly unlikely. The visa office thinks you have arranged for one and that they will get it from the RCMP in due course.

Originally Posted by charmer6
Hey shorty,

i have been in canada for 3+ years and applied for PR in buffalo. I havent been asked to submit finger prints.

I am also wondering the same thing !

I also got the IA recently.

[email protected]
Old Aug 20th 2004, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

charmer6 is an unknown quantity at this point

But the application guide clearly states - "Do NOT request a police clearance from Canada unless specifically asked to do so by a visa officer ".

Wouldnt asking RCMP directly be a violation of this rule ? With this line in the official application guide, there is no way that the visa officer can think that I have already submitted fingerprints to RCMP.

Additionally, i read on the CIC website that the US and Canadian immigration departments would share information like fingerprints and background checks. I have recently given my fingerprints for a background check for a US visitor visa (which coincidentally takes about 5+ months to process now). It seems quite possible that the US visa guys have run an RCMP check on me and it comes up as "all clear" on the canadian visa officer's radar.

additionally, a colleague who applied at the same time as me, with almost similar qualifications and citizenship, has also got an IA with no RCMP request (it took us only about 7 months for the IA). I therefore am not sure if this is a mistake or oversight. Also, many other folks who applied at the same time as us, with almost similar applications, havent heard anything from buffalo, or have been asked to come for interviews.

so for now im going to keep my fingers crossed and wait for a letter that asks me to do RCMP.

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
It is clear that you will very likely be asked to supply an RCMPP fingerprint criminal record check. Do it now instead of hoping that you won't have to. That is highly unlikely. The visa office thinks you have arranged for one and that they will get it from the RCMP in due course.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 6:15 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Then you wait until asked. You had the answer all along.

Originally Posted by charmer6
But the application guide clearly states - "Do NOT request a police clearance from Canada unless specifically asked to do so by a visa officer ".

Wouldnt asking RCMP directly be a violation of this rule ? With this line in the official application guide, there is no way that the visa officer can think that I have already submitted fingerprints to RCMP.

Additionally, i read on the CIC website that the US and Canadian immigration departments would share information like fingerprints and background checks. I have recently given my fingerprints for a background check for a US visitor visa (which coincidentally takes about 5+ months to process now). It seems quite possible that the US visa guys have run an RCMP check on me and it comes up as "all clear" on the canadian visa officer's radar.

additionally, a colleague who applied at the same time as me, with almost similar qualifications and citizenship, has also got an IA with no RCMP request (it took us only about 7 months for the IA). I therefore am not sure if this is a mistake or oversight. Also, many other folks who applied at the same time as us, with almost similar applications, havent heard anything from buffalo, or have been asked to come for interviews.

so for now im going to keep my fingers crossed and wait for a letter that asks me to do RCMP.