British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Do I Need a Canadian Police Certificate? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/do-i-need-canadian-police-certificate-697074/)

youngmimesofharlem Dec 15th 2010 4:02 pm

Do I Need a Canadian Police Certificate?

I'm in the midst of completing the paperwork for an In-Canada Common-law sponsorship application and I've come across this on form IMM5289E

For each country in which you or your family members have lived for more than six months during the past 10 years, you must provide a police certificate, clearance or record of no information.

I've been in Canada since 7th Dec 2009. So I check the CIC website on how to get a Canadian police certificate and it says:

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Only in certain cases. The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian police clearance once your application is being processed.

So.... which is it?

I've got certificates from the UK and Sweden but not Canada.

ALSO, for complete clarity, does my sponsor need a Canadian police certificate?

I sort of assumed that Immigration might communicate directly with the RCMP.

Thanks. And Merry Christmas!

PMM Dec 15th 2010 5:04 pm

Re: Do I Need a Canadian Police Certificate?

Hi

Originally Posted by youngmimesofharlem (Post 9042175)
I'm in the midst of completing the paperwork for an In-Canada Common-law sponsorship application and I've come across this on form IMM5289E

For each country in which you or your family members have lived for more than six months during the past 10 years, you must provide a police certificate, clearance or record of no information.

I've been in Canada since 7th Dec 2009. So I check the CIC website on how to get a Canadian police certificate and it says:

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Only in certain cases. The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian police clearance once your application is being processed.

So.... which is it?

I've got certificates from the UK and Sweden but not Canada.

ALSO, for complete clarity, does my sponsor need a Canadian police certificate?

I sort of assumed that Immigration might communicate directly with the RCMP.

Thanks. And Merry Christmas!

1. No neither of you need a Canadian Police certificate. CIC will do a name check, and only if a person with the same name and age pops up, then they will request a fingerprint check. 72 hours turnaround if required by a digital printing provider.
2. They also do a name check on the sponsor to determine if they have been convicted of assault on a relative.

youngmimesofharlem Dec 15th 2010 5:06 pm

Re: Do I Need a Canadian Police Certificate?

Thanks PMM.

Enjoy the Holidays!